Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorola V8 Can't send txt messages

• 02-11-2007 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

This is weird.

I just got this phone and I got the settings from Meteor's website. I can receive txt messages but I can't send them.

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

I can send multimedia messages and connect using GPRS. I have my message centre number in and I have GSM set as the preffered connection type. Tried changing it to GPRS but it did nothing.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Okay I'm still stumped by this. Could it be the sim card or a Meteor network incompatability?

Wondering should I just get an O2 sim as I was thinking of changing network anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

Could it be the message center number?

I don't think so. I checked that on Meteor's website and it was readable on my new phone from my previous phone which was a Motorola V3.

I'm convinced Meteor left something out of their SMS setup or something along those lines. I've decided to switch to Vodafone anyway so I have registered for a free porting sim from them. I hope this resolves my issue. I'll report back if it does. I get 50 Euro free credit for changing to Vodafone anyway, the sim costs nothing and I get to keep my number so this is really a win/win/win solution as eircom owns Meteor and I don't like being a customer with them and they didn't answer any of my emails about the issue (not even an automated response).

Will someone else post if they know another solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It sounds like you've the wrong settings.

The meteor message centre number is : +353857000000

On the Razr V8 - Messages > Click "Options" > Settings > Text Messages > service profiles > edit.

Or, make sure the service profile selected is SIM card.

There are really no options on SMS settings to get wrong other than make sure the data's sent over GSM, not GPRS and that the message centre number's correct.

Make sure this is what's set on your phone.

Was this phone previously on a different network ? If so, it might explain the settings problems.

Go to www.mymeteor.ie and log in, you can get their site to SMS out the settings for your handset (most are listed)

To be quite honest, Meteor customer service via 1905 is pretty excellent. I've never found them anything but helpful. They're a breath of fresh air in comparison to 3 anyway!!

e-mailing them is not their usual way of dealing with customer care issues, I'd suggest you call 1905 from your handset.

Also, with regards to them being owned by eircom, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Eircom's dominant in the fixed line business and tends to throw its weight around in that sector. Meteor's not at all dominant in the mobile sector and has to fight hard to keep up, which is why it's got such innovative price plans and is fairly ruthlessly competitive. Vodafone is the eircom of the mobile sector, i.e. huge and very dominant.

I know its sending using GSM and I have the correct message centre number though. Checked again to make sure.

The only other field is for email gateway which is weird to have in this menu but I can't enter the message centre number in there as it says recipients not valid. Do I need to enter a meteor server or something? I've tried not entering anything into it so I'm guessing that isn't it.

The settings worked on the old V3 with no problems but the V8 just won't send text messages for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

if your sim can send text messages in one phone but not another then its a problem with your sim. get a replacement sim

Cool thanks, hopefully that's the problem. When I move to Vodafone I'll be getting a new sim.

I found a proper error message which states "because of a network error, this message was not sent."

Still hope its just the sim problem but I'll know for sure after porting to Vodafone if it is a problem with the phone not the network or sim.

Advertisement