Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good hybrid for the price? (<500 Euro)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

As far as name-brand hybrids go, that appears to be one of the best value models around.
    joker77 wrote: »
    Mate of mine is thinking of buying this:
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=38&idproduct=17876

Looks good to me? (i.e. the untrained eye)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Looks decent. He does realise that that model is more like a road bike with straight bars?

i.e. some want a hybrid to do some light off road stuff, or just to tackle the brutal roads we have here. The tyres on it are 25mm which is very narrow and you will feel it a lot. Most hybrids are 32-38mm tyres. Most are a halfway cross between mountain bike & racer, some more like a MTB, and in your case more like a racer.

It is light and will probably be quite fast. I personally would go for a slightly stronger more comfortable hybrid, e.g. thicker tyres and seatpost suspension.

If buying in store I would expect some adjustments or freebies. The bike is not on offer so you should be able to get some. I would personally ask for the tyres to be swapped for thicker slick puncture proof ones, armadillos or gatorskins, 28mm or more. And a suspension seatpost if they would go that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Nice one for the advice, I've passed it on to him. The bike isn't in stock for 10 days, he was going to just order online but I think I've convinced him to pay a visit now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

It's probably a matter of taste. I use 25s for commuting and find them fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

It's probably a matter of taste. I use 25s for commuting and find them fine.
    Same, a set of Armadillos and you're sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah, it's definitely at the racer end of the hybrid spectrum. It's nice looking, but it lacks a lot of practical aspects, like a back pannier...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

I'm looking to start back commuting 12km each way daily.

On a similar note, I am weighing up either a Lapeirre RCR100 (as below) or a Giant FCR 3 (€559) or a CRS 2.5 (€469).

are the fitness bike's tires too thin (punctures and too hard) for commuting to the city center and will it just be stripped by scumbags? (2 U locks, so the wheels and frame will be still there? Am I just asking for it locking a 10KG bike in the city center?

I don't mind spending to get the right bike, but I don't want a 20KG tank of a thing!!

Oh, are sprung seat stems worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I have the FCR2 for commuting. 2000km since April, no punctures yet (knock on wood of course). I find it comfortable and fast. However mine gets put into a locked shed in work, so I don't leave it exposed. I suppose if you wanted to you could dumb it down a bit - tape up the frame or put rubber tubes etc on it. The seat clamp is non QR anyway, so less likely to get nicked saddle. I wouldn't see it getting stripped to be honest, once you lock the frame and both wheels to something immovable (not, like I saw some guy in rathmines, locking it to one of those metal bollards about a metre high which stop cars parking up on the kerb. Nice bike, good lock, crappy bollard!)
    BTW, I was all set to get an FCR3 myself, until I rode it, found it very stiff. The difference the carbon forks make is unbelievable. Don't rule out the FCR2 based on price - ride it also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Wheelworx

I would go with the FCR but upgrade the tyres to Schwalbe Marathon Plus for better puncture protection.
    I would also cover the entire bike with black insulating tape so it looks really crap so as not to draw attention to it (this will also protect the paint so it will hold it's value better too)
    Lastly get an Oxford Revolver lock with insurance so if it is stolen you can cover some of the cost.
    Rob
    Ps they are cheaper here............;)
    http://www.wheelworxbikes.com/product_info.php?products_id=381

http://www.wheelworxbikes.com/product_info.php?products_id=664 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 drstaunch

hi,

If its any help ive been commuting into the city centre on an RCR100 for about 9 months now, about 7 miles each way. Ive had no problems other than the odd puncture. I guess the skinny tyres do make for a bumpy ride but that can be easily solved by standing up as you go over a bump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Thanks all for the advice. I'll ride both FCRs and the RCR before committing... loath to cover it in insulating tape, but if it'll keep the paint (and components :eek: ) on the frame ...............

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Recently got an FCR3 and think it's a pretty good bike for the price. No regrets at this stage.

Wheelworx: do those Schwalbe marathon plus tyres make much difference? I've been puncture free for a while, but have probably just jinxed myself!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Wheelworx

Yep they are probably the best anti puncture tyre (The only other one that comes close is the Specialized Armadillo) but there is a weight penalty, if you dont have a bad route to work the standard marathons are a good tyre too also a bit lighter and cheaper.

Rob

Advertisement