Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you bother employing some one without a degree from a proper university?

• 02-11-2007 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

And no, the IT's certainly don't count!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Seeminly a lot of people do bother employing people who have IT degrees.. otherwise there might be a whole lot of people out of jobs! :p

Honestly, Why are you asking? and what do _you_ consider a _proper_ university

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Lovely can of worms right here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I'd never hire someone who comes out with nonsense like this. Degrees have 0% bearing on someone's ability to do a job well (apart from practical/vocational stuff of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dirty Dave

For what job exactly?

Why don't degrees count from IT's? Are you trolling?

When you think about it - how often do employers actually check educational references anyway? Sure, they'll ring your past employers and ask how you were, but does anyone actually ring the University of Uganda to check that you actually got that Masters Degree in Particle Physics and Television Studies you display so proudly on your CV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

What a stupid question. Depends on the job. I'd I ran a refuse removal company and I needed a binman, then yes. If I ran a hospital and needed a doctor, then no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

List of priorities in IT....

Experience,Experience,Experience,Experience,Experience,Experience,Experience,Experience,Experience,
    Experience,Experience,Experience,Experience,Experience,Experience,Experience,Experience,Experience,
    Experience,Experience,Experience,Experience,Degree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭oneeyedsnake

Seeminly a lot of people do bother employing people who have IT degrees.. otherwise there might be a whole lot of people out of jobs! :p

Honestly, Why are you asking? and what do _you_ consider a _proper_ university

Trinity,Queens,NIUG,NUIC(I know thats not its real name),UCD,and at a push DCU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I don't think it should be the sole reason someone gets a job.
    Experience and knowledge have to come into it too.
    I've been turned down (and I have a BSc(Hons)Earth Science degree from NUIG) because I don't have enough experience.

My dad has been overpassed for a promotion (dispite the fact he's one of the best people in there - I'm not being biased) because someone walks in with a piece of paper that says they have some degree. He's got 20 odd years experience on them (and has had to show them most of the stuff because they don't know it)

If I owned a company - I would consider both applicants with and without degrees.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well I have a degree from a university that I have never actually physically been to, haven't even bothered to turn up for a graduation ceremony yet as I cannot be bothered. But I have a job and the degree counts for just as much as a similar one from a regular university.

Or do you mean degrees that you can buy from the interweb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Although I have undergrad and postgrad IT degrees from TCD, I think the whole thing is utter BS.

If you won't employ someone with a degree, then the likes of Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Richard Branson wouldn't get a look-in with your company.

I know of plenty of people with IT degrees from 'lesser' uni's working as first level helpdesk people, basically logging calls without any brain work involved. It really is a shame.

• Advertisement

What a stupid question. Depends on the job. I'd I ran a refuse removal company and I needed a binman, then yes. If I ran a hospital and needed a doctor, then no.

I'm only talking about respectable middle class jobs,not the subservient positions the lower class are synonymous with.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭AOR

and at a push DCU.

Careful now.....nothing wrong with the nortsoide university

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Dirty Dave wrote: »
    For what job exactly?

Why don't degrees count from IT's? Are you trolling?

When you think about it - how often do employers actually check educational references anyway? Sure, they'll ring your past employers and ask how you were, but does anyone actually ring the University of Uganda to check that you actually got that Masters Degree in Particle Physics and Television Studies you display so proudly on your CV?

Agreed. It doesn't matter a sh1t where your degree is from, once you have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Point of order here:

What the OP is referring to afaik, is Institutes of Technology, not to be confused with
    Information Technology

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Degree or not, if you are trying out for a part in film or stage, you will have to audition, and ideally, be the best performer (not just someone connected, or engaged in bedroom gymnastics with the director). The assumption is that by attending drama at university, plus taking small parts before you graduate, you will increase your ability to perform? Is this not the same for other careers? Trying to put together a set of knowledge, skills, and experiences to be a top performer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm only talking about respectable middle class jobs,not the subservient positions the lower class are synonymous with.
    Which would be?

gyppo wrote: »
    Point of order here:

What the OP is referring to afaik, is Institutes of Technology, not to be confused with
    Information Technology
    Was just going to clarify that.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

You're going to need to be airlifted from the hole that you are digging yourself here :rolleyes:

Where did you get your degree exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Degree from UCD or Trinners is an advantage I think....

Although anyone who tells you they have a degree from the 'University of Life' should have their CV's shat on before getting tossed in the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Whenever I see a CV with lots and lots of degrees on it I tend not to be too impressed as in my experience they tend to turn out to be complete and utter social retards at the interview.

I remember my college days clearly... and I remember the sort of people who did well... I don't want that type of person working for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Poco Loco

In my experience, those who went to IT's as opposed to Universities often know their stuff much better, it's better taught and classes are smaller, they learn better overall. I have interviewed well over 1000 graduates over the past 2ish years for various positions and the IT's were marginally better. Harder workers too.

(I'm not having a go at those who went to university, don't get me wrong - I went to a uni!)

Whenever I see a CV with lots and lots of degrees on it I tend not to be too impressed as in my experience they tend to turn out to be complete and utter social retards at the interview.

I remember my college days clearly... and I remember the sort of people who did well... I don't want that type of person working for me.

There are plenty of people who are perfectly capable of balancing their studies and other activities with great success. Although I have to concede that you do make a good point about "complete and utter social retards".

Good point, well said.

I really cant stand people who base their opinions of others more on where they studied then on what they are like. Some of the most imcompetent people I know are far better educated then me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

No proper degree, no job sonny. And if one of these absolute jokers from a pay in college even attempted to inquire about a job I would have him shot by a contract hitman

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement