Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I Asking For Hypothermia ?

Options
  • 02-11-2007 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hey guys
    Looking to possibly bring Himself for a surfing weekend to Clare / Galway for his Christmas present. Possibly January... Am i asking for Hypothermia?? Neither of us have ever surfed, an he has 2 left legs so no doubt he'l spend the majority of his time submerged!!
    Them wetsuits look awfully chilly - an as for that Atlantic....
    Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks a thousand

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The modern wetsuits are great. You should be fine as long as you are doing lessons with a reputable school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Yep, what lightening said, you'll be grand, go and enjoy !

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Thanks a million guys!!
    Am i being very innocent to presume the majority of companies in Clare / Galway will comply with health and safety and be good instructors?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Have a look at the following link -

http://www.isasurf.ie/index.php?page=surfschools

Its a list of schools around the country that are certified by the Irish Surfing Association, you'd probably be better off sticking with them. Your bound to find one that suits !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Get a decent wetsuit. I have a nasty cold as a result of being out for 2 hours last weekend in my piece of sh1t.

• Advertisement

I would expect one instructor for every five people. Lately I see massive groups with two instructors.

These guys got me started. Good expensive long lasting wetsuits and booties.

http://www.perfectdaysurfing.com/

Very professional.

The surf shop has been taken over by some other dude. My brothers did lessons with the new guy and were very dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure Lahinch surf school will supply winter suits, hoods, booties and gloves. If you are not supplied with thermal gear you might consider getting your own. With thermal gear you will be nice and toasty in the water but you will still freeze your ass off when getting changed!

BTW you won't find any surf schools in Galway. Lahinch is probably your best bet, its about 1.5 hrs drive from Galway which would be a handy base.

Edit: from the Lahinch surf school website:
    What equipment is provided?
    Winter & Summer wetsuits, surfboards (variety of 1 fin and 3 fin) and in colder months boots and hoods (and of course expert tuition).

What do I need to bring?
    In warmer months all you need bring is a towel, a swim suit and a warm jacket. In winter months you can consider buying your own surfing gloves. We don't provide these.

Lahinch would be best i'd say, we're in Limerick so tis only about 2hrs out the road! Had a look at the Lahonchsurfschool.com website , looked v impressive!
    Im awfully sceptical about this surfin lark after looking at previous posts about jellyfish - may just leave him off on his own! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You won't see any jellyfish in the winter, even when they're around the chances of getting stung are remote.

Go for it, its fun!

Try it, its one of those rare activities that is as much fun for a complete beginner as it is for the experienced.

• Advertisement

oooh will do so - ye twisted my arm! But if i come back with pneumonia, frostbite and a jellyfish sting i'l know who to hold responsible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

A bunch of us did surf school in Bundoran last paddy's weekend for a stag and there wasn't a complaint from anyone about the cold, and most had never been surfing before. And the sea takes time to cool down, the water's warmer in december than it is Jan-March (In fact still swimming wetsuitless on the toasty east coast).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinker

No you didn't..you can't actually contract a cold from being cold..it's a virus, therefore you most likely caught it from someone else.....all the same treat yourself to a nice new suit anyw:)ay
    ballooba wrote: »
    Get a decent wetsuit. I have a nasty cold as a result of being out for 2 hours last weekend in my piece of sh1t.

Advertisement