Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

very old lan

Options
  • 02-11-2007 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im working with a very old lan, so old it still uses coax and bnc. The new hardware wont use this without serious changes so need it to be cat5 and rj45. Im in need of some switch or something similar which will convert the signal on one to convert to the other.

Does anyone have a similar situation or any suggestions?

I really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can get single coax to rj-45 media converters very cheaply, or else there are small switches available that have an additional bnc connector on them to connect into an existing coax based LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Why can't you look at upgrading segments of the network where required?
    For example, install CAT-5/6 on a segment and bridge this with the older segments until you get time/funding to upgrade them also.
    Reason I say this is that you're not going to reap the benefits of newer hardware on a coax backbone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

A balun box should do that.

Goes from BNC to RJ45

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Best off doing the above

If all else fails a really really ugly hack is to put two NIC's into a PC on different subnets and use it as a router. One NIC would be BNC the other RJ45

enableiprouting is the registry key to use in windows 2000/XP workstation, NT 4 had a tick box if you still have one lying around.

You could do the same with a server no reg editing necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Taildragon

@OP

What you need is a base10 to base2 transceiver. I just happen to have one that *almost* ended up in the bin recently. I have no means to test it, but it worked fine when last used some 15+ years ago :-)

Yours for the asking - pm me your details

BTW, the router idea would also work, but only if the protocols in question are routable :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Taildragon wrote: »
    BTW, the router idea would also work, but only if the protocols in question are routable :cool:
    True.

TCP/IP - should be fine
    NetBEUI - no way Jack
    IPX/SPX - routable but yer on yer own :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Taildragon

IPX/SPX - routable but yer on yer own :p

Pah! Sissy :D

Best off doing the above

If all else fails a really really ugly hack is to put two NIC's into a PC on different subnets and use it as a router. One NIC would be BNC the other RJ45

[strike]enableiprouting[/strike] IPEnableRouter is the registry key to use in windows 2000/XP workstation, NT 4 had a tick box if you still have one lying around.

You could do the same with a server no reg editing necessary
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323339
    edit - found the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Better off sticking linux on and configuring it as a bridge.

an even uglier hack is to put both NIC's in a windows 98 PC

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/w2kprout.html
    ignore the bit about 95 - it blue screens if you try to enable routing with two NIC's (it will route with one)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Dump the BNC full stop!! All its good for is CCTV and even thats coming to an end. Is it a big network or is the budget for upgrade non existant?

A cat5e or Cat6 Network with proper switches and a well set up system will make your life so much easier, if you have a budget to play with I'd start making some calls. I can help you with cable spec etc if you like.

FusionNet wrote: »
    Dump the BNC full stop!! All its good for is CCTV and even thats coming to an end. Is it a big network or is the budget for upgrade non existant?

A cat5e or Cat6 Network with proper switches and a well set up system will make your life so much easier, if you have a budget to play with I'd start making some calls. I can help you with cable spec etc if you like.
    Suppose there was one PC 150m away down in a store room with no power en-route and you already have coax installed.

Most expensive part of recabling is the labour especially if the run is external or high up, the cable will cost less than the call out charge. www.connectix.ie for prices

WiFi just isn't as easy to secure as a cable on your property and might not be as fast anyway in a noisy area and if you dont' have line of sight ...

TBH if the OP had a budget the coax would have been replaced 10 years ago.

Advertisement