Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chroot to a different OS

• 02-11-2007 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

I use linux for dev and I'm trying to avoid the overhead of a virtual machine for testing.

Just wondering if there's any sane way to do this:

Install ubuntu 64bit as my base OS to partition A (let's say /dev/sda1) then install RHEL4 64bit to /dev/sda2, boot my ubuntu installation then mount /dev/sda2 and run a chroot'd environment to give me what is effectively a RHEL4 box for a specific user.

I know that I'd be using the ubuntu kernel as the chroot'd user, but other than that, what other problems would this throw up? And is there any way around said problems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

any dynamic libraries you attemt to load after the chroot will come from the redhat install so if the kernel versions arenet exactly the same there may well be issues.

Also this is not in any going to be useful for test purposes - there is no way to gaurentee that this kind of setup will in anyways replicate the actual environment experienced by a redhat user which reducces the value of any test significantly.

is a VM that much of an overhead to you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Get Virtualbox, the method described wouldnt work because /sys /proc or /dev wont be valid in the chroot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks for the replies lads.
    Catch_22 wrote: »
    is a VM that much of an overhead to you ?

Well....I wont be the only person using it. The box I'm running on isn't the highest spec in the world, and the vmware reduces its throughput significantly.

I like the look of this virtualbox malarky. Do you know if it supports hardware virtualisation?

edit: Looking at the hardware kvm support for ubuntu. I suppose that's probably the most lightweight way to go.

Advertisement