Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cholesterol quiz - its quick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

You answered 10 of 10 questions correctly

YAY - what do i win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

7 out of 10

Not bad for mainly pure guesses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

9 here too...

I didn't get question 7 so I learned something new...

I must start eating kidney beans again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Got Q10 wrong, I thought an egg a day was OK???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭olaola

dylbert wrote: »

Me too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I guess you could say you've both been living in eggnorance then... eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The whole egg thing is confusing, two a week was the mantra a while back, but now 3/4 a week is okay it seems

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

olaola wrote: »
    Me too!

That question alone leads me to doubt the accuracy of that quiz...

Q2. It's not fair to blanket-label saturated fat as 'bad'. Trans fats have no redeeming features whatsoever, but sat fats are fine in moderation. Although sat fats are more likely to increase blood cholesterol, it's really the ratio of sat fats: unsat fats in your diet that matters. If you have less sat fats than unsat fats you're doing fine. Besides which, sources of sat fats (meats and dairy) are brilliant sources of other essential vitamins and minerals so telling people to avoid sat fats usually means they lose out elsewhere too.

Q5. Trick Q tbh. I'd rate butter over margarine any day - it has CLA in it (conjugated linoleic acid) which aids lipogenesis and acually helps you lose bodyfat.

Q8. Fat-free is probably the worst of the lot - take a really common example: yoghurts, the fat-free versions are highest in sugar, glucose syrup, fructose syrup, additives, colourings and flavourings.

Q10. Eating eggs every day has no associated increased risk with heart disease over people who eat eggs rarely or sporadically. That's been proven time and time again since the late-1990's. I've read and researched this a *lot*, and I eat 10-12 a week now. My blood work is just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

I'll stick with my 8-10 egs a week so.

I heard allot of margarines also have trans fats in them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I heard allot of margarines also have trans fats in them??

Some do. Margarines are made from vegetable oils which are liquid at room temperature. To make them solidify they're heat treated, causing the denaturation of the fatty acids, hence trans fats. Check the label for hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated vegetbale oils.

• Advertisement
Advertisement