Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plastering over wood?

Options
  • 02-11-2007 1:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

was removing some old woodchip wallpaper from a ceiling in my house, and turns out part of the ceiling is wood. I'm planning on getting the whole thing skip coated, and was wondering what are the chances of plaster staying on the wood and not cracking? Will I have to rip it down and put up plasterboard?

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

jdpl28 wrote: »
    Hi,

was removing some old woodchip wallpaper from a ceiling in my house, and turns out part of the ceiling is wood. I'm planning on getting the whole thing skip coated, and was wondering what are the chances of plaster staying on the wood and not cracking? Will I have to rip it down and put up plasterboard?

thanks,
    J

dont know what u mean by skip coated, but if I were u I would put new 9mm PB over the existing pb and timber , screwing it to the existing ceiling joists with the proper drylining screws: if doing it your self u can get the 4 *2 sheets as opposed to the 8*4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

ircoha wrote: »
    dont know what u mean by skip coated

sorry, typo. Meant skim coating.

Problem is that only a small strip of the ceiling is wooden, the rest is plasterboards (or some kind of stuff with what looks like horse hair in it. It's an old house. So the ceiling is currently all level. I'd have to slab the whole ceiling to get it level again, and it's a big ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

jdpl28 wrote: »
    sorry, typo. Meant skim coating.

Problem is that only a small strip of the ceiling is wooden, the rest is plasterboards (or some kind of stuff with what looks like horse hair in it. It's an old house. So the ceiling is currently all level. I'd have to slab the whole ceiling to get it level again, and it's a big ceiling.

Hi
    You are spot on years ago they used horse hair and small laths of timber and it worked so if i was you i would put bonding on the ceiling and then skim the lot .
    Bet it will stay there for your life time:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

I'd only bond it it needed to brought level with the rest of the ceiling before skimmimg. If it is presently at the same level as the existing ceiling you could just put a coat of Thistle Bond and then skim it.

Hey Carpenter this town is only big enough for one tweety bird grrrr

Advertisement