Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

glut of 2nd hand cars?

Options
  • 02-11-2007 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭

been trying to sell my 04 Scenic for a couple of months now with no success (ie no calls) - is there a glut (love that word) of cars on the market at the moment - maybe as a result of the SSIAs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

There does seem to be a lot of newer (03-06) second hand cars on the forecourts, but the prices are usually quite high. Are you quoting a dealer price or a private price? Your ad might not give enough information either, which usually scares buyers off.

Mispelling car's name, no mileage details, no tax details, no engine size etc, can drive people up the walls and ignore your ad.

Scenic's are popular enough, you should have sold it by now I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ad is ok I think - http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=35255&cat=2
    its also on Carzone and B&S

price is competitive (and mileage v low), but there does seem to be a lot of them about in dealers - hard to compete with warranties etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Yeah, the Ad seems grand, so does the price, I'm stumped. Maybe the warranty is too much for most to resist

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Well I spent 20 secs looking for a pic and can't find it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

galactus wrote: »
    Well I spent 20 secs looking for a pic and can't find it...

eh? pictures are in the ad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Plenty of second hand cars about but plenty of amazingly high prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

If I was in the market for a 2nd hand Scenic what would put me off yours would be the engine size. A 1.4l in a car of that size and weight, only in Ireland. Minimum engine size I'd be looking for is a 1.6 or 1.9dci.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yes, but this being Ireland most punters want the puniest engine possible. I wonder how hard its going to be to sell my Civic 1.8 in a couple of years time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I reckon there is, and there are a lot of bargins to be got out there. I am looking for something for the wife at the moment. 05 or 06 Passat or S40 or possibly an X Trail. I had expected to go the usual route (to the UK) but at this stage I reckon I'll pick one up here at home.

Especially in the last 2 weeks, I have noticed a significant drop in prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Stephen wrote: »
    Yes, but this being Ireland most punters want the puniest engine possible. I wonder how hard its going to be to sell my Civic 1.8 in a couple of years time...
    I would say some punters still want the puniest engine size possible but I think a lot of people have woken up to the fact that a 1.4l engine in a car that size is a recipe for miserable motoring.
    As for selling your car, loyatemu is trying to compete with I guess 50 or 60 other garages/punters trying to flog their 1.4 Scenics. How many Civic 1.8's are about? My guess is very few and sporty Civics will always have a loyal following among the young motoring enthuisiast:D So I wouldn't worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I drove from Limerick to Killarney last week and to Galway the week before - seems like every second house had a car for sale parked outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Been trying to sell my '00 passat for the past two months now two - anybody care to comment on why there hasn't been much of a shift on it?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=777729

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Cianclarke,

Prob the mileage tbh, whatever it is with cars wen they get near or past 100K I don't understand. I'd probably be as guilty as the next person though.
    There are alot of other cars out there with the same year and probably less mileage for the same price too.

EDIT: the image isn't working on my browser for your ad either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

for CianClarke:
    The images arent loading on my web browser either (internet explorer)
    Mabey the engine size could be an issue too.
    A lot of passats are the 1.9tdi
    people may think the 1.6 could be underpowered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

for CianClarke:
    The images arent loading on my web browser either (internet explorer)
    Mabey the engine size could be an issue too.

Unlikely. Engine size should not affect your browsers's capability to load its image.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

There's too many feckin cars in Ireland atm. Everyone is trying to make a quick buck by bringing in (sometimes sh1te condition) car's from the UK and selling them for a profit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

great time to buy secondhand. pointless telling people to hold out for good price,bite the hand off anyone offering any half decent price,or forget about selling at all.
    simple supply and demand stuff,ANY car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it,not what someone on carzone is ASKING for theirs...
    good luck to all sellers,including myself!first buyer is the best one,please stop deluding yourselves about value of your motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I know some1 who was tryin to sell a type r honda civic 1997 for months, as the had bought a 02 type r... Lots of people came to look but no1 was buyin, he had it fairly competitivly priced... Eventually to sell it he had to give a 3 month warranty with it, which sold the car fairly quickly. But, two weeks later, something went wrong and cost him 800euro... It's a big gamble, but it sold the car for him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

kindalen wrote: »
    great time to buy secondhand. pointless telling people to hold out for good price,bite the hand off anyone offering any half decent price,or forget about selling at all.
    simple supply and demand stuff,ANY car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it,not what someone on carzone is ASKING for theirs...
    good luck to all sellers,including myself!first buyer is the best one,please stop deluding yourselves about value of your motors.

This is the truth!

There are 145 used 2004 Scenics on Carzone at the moment. Most are just coming out of warranty as well (3 years isn't it?).

You shouldn't buy a car based on it's estimated resale because that means you can't afford it IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

pete4130 wrote: »
    Cianclarke,

Prob the mileage tbh, whatever it is with cars wen they get near or past 100K I don't understand. I'd probably be as guilty as the next person though.
    There are alot of other cars out there with the same year and probably less mileage for the same price too.

EDIT: the image isn't working on my browser for your ad either?

Yourself and spank_inferno - guessed it myself, nobody wants a petrol passat and it's hit this magical 100k miles mark which makes it unattractive as hell! If only it was 95k.

I'll hold out for another while, if no shift I'll just hold onto it, it's not a bad car by any means.

• Advertisement
Advertisement