Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top this for a speeding ticket...

Options
  • 02-11-2007 2:03pm

Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident while checking for speeding motorists on the A1 Great North Road. One of the officers used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300 mph. Their radar suddenly stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district, approaching from the North Sea.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style:

'Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defence system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed.

Good Day...'

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Excellent post.

Where'd you find that?

/5 stars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Amusing, but alas

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Spoilsport :(

MOH wrote: »
    Amusing, but alas
    Of course its amusing, it's a joke :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

MOH wrote: »
    Amusing, but alas

you broked the funneh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Reading the explanation, I certainly am glad that there is no risk of the policeman getting fried by his own radar. That's the last thing anyone wants to see. :eek:

Although I do have nine points at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

I once got two speeding tickets in a minute, it was just the fine then.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Some sort of award would have been more appropriate, in my opinion. Obviously you needed to be somewhere.
    Since the OP was so cruelly shot down, I suppose off topic is our only man now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Why is this in Humour?

Why is this in Humour?

Because It started with a joke!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Why is this in Humour?

Because its was a funneh, duh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Why is this in Humour?

May I remind you of this warning you received a couple of days ago..
    Machiavellianme please read the Charter. If you feel a thread only merits a single star that's fine, otherwise please limit your critique.

Note the absence of a smiley...
    Are you with me?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident while checking for speeding motorists on the A1 Great North Road. One of the officers used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300 mph.
    I'd be suprised too.

Back in the early 60's Buccaneers were capable of twice that at sea level. Ok maybe not exactly sea level.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-48127.html
    Lossie, early 90s. Old and bold ex-Bucc pilot converting to the GR1, on one of his first flights over an unusually calm bit of the North Sea. Pilot takes GR1 ever lower and ever faster. Faster and lower. After a few minutes at very low level, the GR1 nav is sweating a fair bit. Later, back at Lossie, Nav says
    "I've never been so scared, what were you doing?"
    "Oh, you know the Bucc could fly in ground effect at 20 ft or so above the sea - well I was trying to find the same thing on the GR1".
    "And?"
    "The Tornado doesn't have it".
    well worth a read if you are into planes

I'd be suprised too.

He was "stalling" for time. :D

Advertisement