Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Huge engine vibration all of a sudden

Options
  • 02-11-2007 2:16pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,ive just run into a strange problem with my 03 VW Passat TDI

All off a sudden the whole car started to chug along.
    I thought it was dirty fuel at first but then noticed it wasnt actually stuttering just sounded like it was.
    There is a vibration from the engine compartment and the whole engine is vibrating as if its mountings have come undone.
    Is this possible?

I can feel this very obvious inside the car as im driving ans is coinciding with the engine tone as if its stuttering along.
    Ive never come across this before ina any car of mine.

Any ideas before i rush off to a VW dealer?
    Ive got to collect my little girl from creche in a bit so ill report back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Is it heavy to drive? Like are you putting your foot to the floor and still going kinda slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

yes, engine mounts can and do go wrong.

They are usually cushioned/sprung in some way to reduce vibration (mostly with rubber or hydraulics) and this can wear/ break

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Not sure as it happened in the town just while bringing wife back to work,about 20-30 mph.

Its very hard to explain but its as if the whole front of the car is vibrating while driving and causing whole car to vibrate.

Its the same in the yard now as its idle ,same regardless of revs too.

Never seen this before.

If its mountings is it a big/expensive job?

Is it safe to drive ? as i need to collect little girl in 30 mins.

Can this vibrating cause more damage?

Just if twas heavy to drive / not moving very fast -- it could be your ignition coil.

I've an 00 VW Polo and I was just driving along the quays when bam... car started chugging, couldnt go too fast - whole thing was vibrating you could feel & hear it.
    Ended up being the ignition coil - 120/150 yoyos (they did a few other things too but that was the price listed for the coil)

(Also if you're going to a VW dealership - mind they don't change your spark plugs without asking -- they did on mine & cost me nearly 70 quid -- when I'd only had new ones in a month)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

I reckon you have an engine misfire. This will cause the engine to vibrate irratically. Probably a fuel problem and you will need to get it plugged in to the Volkswagen diagnostic equip.

star-pants wrote: »
    Just if twas heavy to drive / not moving very fast -- it could be your ignition coil.

Is it not a diesel :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Lewe

Same thing happened to my car about 2 weeks ago...i had just filled it up with petrol and about 10mins later it was chugging like crazy.so i brought it in to work drained the fuel.....teasted it and was a mix of diesel and petrol.

Healyc wrote: »
    Is it not a diesel :confused:

is which not a diesel? OHH the OPs car? oooops -- is it diesel? I didn't know.. sorry! am I giving useless advice?

(my polos a petrol so I assumed - sorry)

*apologises for being a tard*

if it is a diesel a mix of both petrol and diesel will have he same affect....not sure if this is the correct term as my boss is like 100 hahaha but he said this is called pinking????? and is caused by putting petrol into a diesel car.but i'm not saying thats whats wrong it could be a number of things..........thats jus one propable cause!!!!!!!and to solve this problem simply drain your fuel tank refill it adn see if the problem presists.

• Advertisement

Deffo not petrol mix,i rang VW dealer and they reckon not to drive it incase its mountings ,earliest they can see car is thursday :(

ye it is possibles that the mountings have come lose.......a number of things could have caused this so i won't go into detail but what i will say is try stay away from a main dealer as it will cost a few quid.if you know any other mechanics or garages and trust them i would go to them....

Where ya based?

Healyc wrote: »
    Where ya based?

who me????

Im in Monasterevin Co Kildare.

Ive just started her up again in the yard and all vibration is gone totally?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Efioanaes wrote: »
    Im in Monasterevin Co Kildare.

Ive just started her up again in the yard and all vibration is gone totally?

then it's not the engine mounts

Edit: did you rev it? still no vibration? ...then it really couldn't be the mounts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

hmmm, not the mounts so. could be anything really, from dirty fuel to an electrical fault

Ok just collected little girl and all is well.
    Gave her [her as in the car :) ] plenty of right foot and no prob at all,same power as usual and no vibrating whatsoever.

So you lot reckon it couldm be dirty fuel or electrical?

Thanks for prompt replies guys.

sounds more like dirty fuel then electrical but i'm not gonna rule out elctrical fault.....but from experince my car was doin the same thing and it turned out it was fuel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Check your oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Could it be the MAF?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

yellow012 wrote: »
    Could it be the MAF?

Possibly. Could also be a sticky injector, faulty EGR valve, dirty fuel...... and lots of other things. As the fault has now cleared, drive on - if it was dirty fuel then that might be the end of it. I assume there are no fault lights showing on the dash......?

MAF?

No lights showing on the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Its the Mass Air Flow meter, if it is gone your car will be running roughly (sound like a tractor) and it will be down on power. Very straightforward to replace, they just plug in between the air filter box and cylinder head. You can get a new or reconditioned one, if you search Boards you will get the exact price as I posted it a couple of months back.

Advertisement