Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Galway - some questions for the experts

Options
  • 02-11-2007 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've just moved to Galway and was wondering if people could answer the following questions for me:

1) Is the water safe to drink on the west side of the city now?

2) Which gym would people recommend? I live on one side of town and work on the other so location doesn't really matter but I'm looking for somewhere with decent cardio machines, a nice pool with the luxury extras, sauna, steam room etc. and classes inclusive in the membership, pilates, yoga, aerobics etc. I have looked at the kingfisher club and it's eh, not bad but is there somewhere better around? Do any of them have climbing walls or do you need to go to NUI for that?

3) Is there a bus that goes west to east, east to west through the city or do they all just go into town? Galway City Direct site is non-operational at the moment to find out these facts ...

4) Anyone have a vet on the westside of the city that they'd recommend?

5) Any good comedy clubs around or decent nights out in town that are not student-orientated that people would recommend?

Cheers guys!

DaFunk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

dafunk wrote: »
    Hi,

I've just moved to Galway and was wondering if people could answer the following questions for me:

2) Which gym would people recommend? I live on one side of town and work on the other so location doesn't really matter but I'm looking for somewhere with decent cardio machines, a nice pool with the luxury extras, sauna, steam room etc. and classes inclusive in the membership, pilates, yoga, aerobics etc. I have looked at the kingfisher club and it's eh, not bad but is there somewhere better around? Do any of them have climbing walls or do you need to go to NUI for that?

3) Is there a bus that goes west to east, east to west through the city or do they all just go into town? Galway City Direct site is non-operational at the moment to find out these facts ...

5) Any good comedy clubs around or decent nights out in town that are not student-orientated that people would recommend?

Cheers guys!

DaFunk.

1) Yes I believe ... I still don't drink it
    2) Kingfisher in Renmore
    3) I think the rahoon bus early in the morning if you stay on goes on to ballybrit ... that said its years since I took the buses (started walking instead it was faster in the long run)
    4) Ark Vets on Marys Road (think thats the road its on)
    5) To be honest now that the students are back its mostly going to be student nights in most places so hmm... Des Bishop is playing THT on the 20th apart from that keep an eye on the Town Hall Theatre website .. comedy shows pop up from time to time.

Apart from that howard Marks is in Roisin Dubhs on the 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I would still recommend getting a water filter jug for Galway water just to improve the taste.

There is a climbing wall in City Limits in Oranmore (not had a look at it due to being afraid of heights, so can't recommend it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Hi,

Cheers guys!

DaFunk.

As regards comedy clubs Cuba have some good people some times if you keep an eye out. Andrew Maxwell is in it this weekend I think. And sure Tommy is always knocking around

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Apart from that howard Marks is in Roisin Dubhs on the 4th
    Well balls on it anyway, I'm going to miss him again but I'll be in Amsterdam so it aint so bad.

Most big supermarket have those water filtration systems. You can fill up 5 litres for €1.25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

City Direct only serve the westside. CIE routes going across town are very limited, and most end up going through Eyre Square anyway. afaik the 7am one from Knocknacarra goes to Ballybrit and Parkmore but i've never taken this.

if you're living on the Westside of the City and working on the east i would wholeheartedly recommend cycling into town in the morning and then maybe getting the bus out from Eyre Sq. if you'd rather not cycle the full distance. it'd probably save you a good 20 mins if not the full half hour doing that alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I recommend "The Ark" vets on St. Mary's Road (close to the LowerSalthill/Taylor's Hill junction)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Cheers for all the advice, much appreciated! :)

Is there anywhere to get sushi? I did see it in the market but it'd be nice to be able to get it on other days of the week ....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Kappa-ya on Middle street
    Across from the book shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

The 2 and 4e buses go from Seacrest(knocknacarra) to renmore, and I second Ark, they're excellent vets.

• Advertisement

Great. I was starting to get a sushi withdrawl :) Thanks for all your help,. what would I do without the interweb :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Great. I was starting to get a sushi withdrawl :) Thanks for all your help,. what would I do without the interweb :cool:

eat cooked fish.

For some reason recycling doesn't get picked up at my gaff (I thought this was mandatory in Galway?), anyway is there a bring centre where I can bring glass, paper, cardboard, cans, plastic,batteries etc.? I've seen a couple of glass bins around the place but I want somewhere for the plastics and paper as well. Galway City council might have something about it on their site but you need to load an interactive map which is an executable file (:mad:) so it only works on Microsoft Windows which I don't have so I am none the wiser.

biko wrote: »
    Kappa-ya on Middle street
    Across from the book shop

This place is great, they don't have a great selection of sushi at all (1 veg, 1 fish, 1 meat, 1 egg) but they do have some other great dishes on the menu. Shame they're not open in the evenings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

when i lived in the city, i had to buy bags from newsagents for recyclables...well supposed to, I dont think there are any recycling places for paper plastci etc, unless you know a code in one of the apt blocks and use their facilities..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

when i lived in the city, i had to buy bags from newsagents for recyclables...well supposed to, I dont think there are any recycling places for paper plastci etc, unless you know a code in one of the apt blocks and use their facilities..

There is your own green bin for paper, plastic, cans etc. The only one you might have a little trouble with is bottles otherwise Galway is quite good on the recycling front

For some reason recycling doesn't get picked up at my gaff (I thought this was mandatory in Galway?), anyway is there a bring centre where I can bring glass, paper, cardboard, cans, plastic,batteries etc.? I've seen a couple of glass bins around the place but I want somewhere for the plastics and paper as well. Galway City council might have something about it on their site but you need to load an interactive map which is an executable file (:mad:) so it only works on Microsoft Windows which I don't have so I am none the wiser.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/WasteManagement/
    091 536595 environment@galwaycity.ie

So I called those guys in the council and they don't cover my estate, turns out Bearna Waste Management do it so I called them and they said that everything that goes into the bin goes to landfill and doesn't get recycled so I got back onto the council to find out where I bring my recycling, there's nowhere to bring it! There's no f***ing recycling place in this city? That's a joke. There's the bottle banks but what about everything else? Not cool.

There is a place on the Headford Rd if you have a car. Past the halting site.
    They don't need many special places for recycling as this is taken care of by recycling bins.

Or
    TheFile,1744,en.jpg

There is a place on the Headford Rd if you have a car. Past the halting site.
    They don't need many special places for recycling as this is taken care of by recycling bins.

But it's not taken care of if your landlord chooses a private company to collect the rubbish. And doesn't it somewhat defeat the purpose a bit if you have to drive your car to recycle your waste?

Cheers for the map Biko but it's only half a solution really as it still means dumping paper and cardboard and most importantly the plastics.

• Advertisement

I agree about the plastics. Paper is organic so is not really a hazard.
    Hey, if it bothers you that much move to a house with proper recycling facilities, or better yet, start bugging your landlord about swapping companies.
    And doesn't it somewhat defeat the purpose a bit if you have to drive your car to recycle your waste?
    No, pollution is different from recycling.
    There's no f***ing recycling place in this city? That's a joke. There's the bottle banks but what about everything else? Not cool.
    Where are you from? Did you have lots of recycling places there?

I agree about the plastics. Paper is organic so is not really a hazard.
    Hey, if it bothers you that much move to a house with proper recycling facilities, or better yet, start bugging your landlord about swapping companies.

No, pollution is different from recycling.

Yes of course pollution is different but isn't it all about being environmentally friendly :)

I'm from Dublin and our recycling collection is much crapper than here but within a quarter of a mile of my house there was a bring centre that would take garden waste, cooking oil, hard and soft plastics, paper, cardboard, batteries, clothes, books, aerosols etc. so the onus was on people to recycle themselves but at least you could do that.

The council here seems great about recycling, the problem would seem to be my landlord not wanting to pay for it and as a tenant then what do I do with my waste if there isn't somewhere I can take it?

It's probably all irrelevant anyway seeing as our glass and plastics probably get sent to china where little children with bloody fingers sort through it.

Maybe it's the lesser of two evils to throw it into landfill :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

New Zealand: where the city council pick up the recycling from my front gate, once a week, for FREE! And they don't use plastic bags to do it, either.

Where I am we have green, grey and brown bins. It's great, besides the fact I have to go to the bottle bank occasionally.

Recycling ftw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Just beware the roving gangs of drug fueled badgers.

Advertisement