Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm writing this with my one good hand...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

DITTKD wrote: »
    When you asked this, I didn’t really know how to respond, but I had some sort of a vague notion about how people fall and roll and stuff.

Then, lo and behold this thread appeared:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055178027

Dunno if it’s any use to you, but it illustrates what I was thinking.

Brilliant story, but I don't see myself devoting hours of practice to the ancient art of 'ukemi'. Fair play to him, it sounded pretty dramatic.

Hows the hand GR?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

As already mentioned, gloves typically won't save your fingers/hands if you fall, other than to minimise loss of skin. Having said that, the downhill gloves linked to above would probably help. Another glove that might help is the Pearl Izumi Lobster (http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&product_id=527528). I haven't used them myself, but they are supposed to be very thick, and the fact that they bunch/pair your fingers together should help avoid any individual finger being snapped. They are probably too hot to wear in anything other than fairly cold weather though, so they are not a year-round option.

There are various approaches to avoiding serious injury during a fall generally. One of those that I have most faith in is to let go of the bars and use your arms to save your body (it seems to be an instinctive that people find themselves trying to save their bike, which can sometimes leave their body taking all of the punishment). Hitting the ground with your hands on the handlebars leaves your body in a position which can leave people prone to the dreaded broken collarbone (if you hit the road along your side/shoulder), amongst other things. So, basically, forget the bike if you can as you fall by just letting go of it (although you need to keep track of the bars, in so far as this is possible in that situation, so that you don't skewer yourself with them - if it is a mountain bike, then bar ends are a very useful add-on and actually can make the bike safer for you in a fall too).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have Cannondale "3 Season Plus" gloves which have a lobster over-covering type of thing without being overly warm. Haven't crashed with them yet to test that theory.

The dreaded broken collar-bone... ah, brings back college memories. Despite letting go of the handlebars entirely I managed this one- rapid separation from bike was effected through shoulder contact with lamp-post while looking over the other shoulder ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Not too bad. The swelling has gone down a lot (due to a combination of ice, Nurofen Plus and Arnica) but I still haven't regained full mobility of the index finger. It's improving, though.

When I fell, I landed on my hip but, weirdly, the bruising didn't come up until two days later. Now it looks like I'm wearing half a pair of purple paisley cycling shorts.
    unionman wrote: »
    Hows the hand GR?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Now it looks like I'm wearing half a pair of purple paisley cycling shorts.
    TFI Friday: I read that as "I'm wearing ... Paisley's cycling shorts"

• Advertisement

I wish!
    rp wrote: »
    TFI Friday: I read that as "I'm wearing ... Paisley's cycling shorts"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

When I fell, I landed on my hip but, weirdly, the bruising didn't come up until two days later. Now it looks like I'm wearing half a pair of purple paisley cycling shorts.

Same here actually, my leg bruising didnt come up for a few days. Then all of a sudden there was purple colouring everywhere. Nasty business. Looked like I'd been tenderised.

Actually, if anyone can offer advice, I'd be most grateful...

Normally I go for four three-mile runs every week. However, since my spill I've avoided running for the past week. Now I'm aching to get back into it. I'd also like to go for a short-ish spin on the bike this weekend - maybe 30 miles or so.

Does anyone know what the general consensus is re getting active again after sustaining bruises to the hip? Nothing was broken or fractured but it's still a bit stiff and, of course, that nice shade of purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It's probably best to wait a bit. Make sure you give your body a chance to heal itself. I didn't get on a bike for about 2 months after I got knocked down (about a year ago at this stage). That was partly due to waiting for repairs and holidays, but it made sure that I was fully re-cooperated.

Chances are you are OK, after all the pro guys take big spills all the time and get on with it. Obviously their circumstances are different as it is their job and they have dedicated doctors to look after them.

If it was me, I'd lay off for a short period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

King Raam wrote: »
    It's probably best to wait a bit. Make sure you give your body a chance to heal itself. I didn't get on a bike for about 2 months after I got knocked down (about a year ago at this stage). That was partly due to waiting for repairs and holidays, but it made sure that I was fully re-cooperated.

Chances are you are OK, after all the pro guys take big spills all the time and get on with it. Obviously their circumstances are different as it is their job and they have dedicated doctors to look after them.

Good advice, I'd say the same.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Good advice, even though I hate hearing it. (Any chance you could edit the post...?)

Anyway, I decided to book a consultation with a physio for tomorrow morning in the end. I can always get the driver of the car to pay for it.
    King Raam wrote: »

Does anyone know what the general consensus is re getting active again after sustaining bruises to the hip? Nothing was broken or fractured but it's still a bit stiff and, of course, that nice shade of purple.

How to deal with bruising is a very contentious topic. There is one camp that advocates rubbing out bruises to break down the "clotting" blood and allowing it to disperse in your bloodstream, there is another camp that advocates a less aggressive approach by encouraging bloodflow through the affected area and possibly with some light massage around the bruise but not within it (and there are probably various other camps on the topic too). They are two routes to the same goal of minimising scarring of the tissue.

Personally I fall into the latter camp, so if I was convinced a bruised area was not seriously injured (no serious muscle tears, no damaged bones, etc.) then I would try to keep it mobile by doing light exercise (which might exclude impact exercise such as jogging, depending on the severity and location of the bruise). Determining whether an injury is serious though can be difficult, and if I really wasn't sure then I'd go get professional advice from a physio (as I see you are doing) or possibly an acupuncturist.

Thanks - that's very interesting. Are you a physio yourself?
    doozerie wrote: »
    How to deal with bruising is a very contentious topic. There is one camp that advocates rubbing out bruises to break down the "clotting" blood and allowing it to disperse in your bloodstream, there is another camp that advocates a less aggressive approach by encouraging bloodflow through the affected area and possibly with some light massage around the bruise but not within it (and there are probably various other camps on the topic too). They are two routes to the same goal of minimising scarring of the tissue.

Personally I fall into the latter camp, so if I was convinced a bruised area was not seriously injured (no serious muscle tears, no damaged bones, etc.) then I would try to keep it mobile by doing light exercise (which might exclude impact exercise such as jogging, depending on the severity and location of the bruise). Determining whether an injury is serious though can be difficult, and if I really wasn't sure then I'd go get professional advice from a physio (as I see you are doing) or possibly an acupuncturist.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

doozerie wrote: »
    They are two routes to the same goal of minimising scarring of the tissue.
    Then there is the third camp, the 'GAA Mentors' camp who tried to make me run off a broken ankle. Ah, run it off, you'll be grand...

That sounds more like the "death camp".
    rp wrote: »
    Then there is the third camp, the 'GAA Mentors' camp who tried to make me run off a broken ankle. Ah, run it off, you'll be grand...

Thanks - that's very interesting. Are you a physio yourself?

No, I'm not a physio, but I have had some very interesting conversations with people that have treated various ailments of mine over the years (physio's, osteopaths, acupuncturists, and chiropractors). It's great when you get people who are happy to discuss with you what they are doing and why they are treating you in a particular way - it has certainly been an education for me.

Advertisement