Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another Selling Question!

Options
  • 02-11-2007 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

how often should you reduce the asking price on carzone?

Do regular reductions spook prospective buyers or is it a good idea?
    My '07 car is currently priced as the cheapest of its kind on the site yet I've had 1 call in the month and a bit it's been up there.
    I want a sale soon to avoid trading it in (and obviously losing money!). Should I wait another while, or reduce the price another bit now - in the hope that someone will phone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Hang tight. If its the cheapest there then why would you want to drop it anymore :confused:

Obviously depends on your circumstances too. If you're desperate then price it to sell. Be careful though as you dont want to price it too low as people will still think they can haggle even more with you when you get down to business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭DaveBH

Thanks Sizzler - I'm just in a bit of a panic as we're into November now and I'm worried as Christmas (and the end of the year) draws closer - I'm less and less likely to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alot of people will wait until January to buy as the car will be a year older and Christmas is out of the way.

If you want to shift it before then you may well have to drop the price closer to it's value in January, in order to tempt someone to buy now.

Either way you probably looking at selling a car that is considered a year old at this stage so you need to price it accordingly.

I would generally drop the price by a few hunderd every 2 weeks until someone rings.

Thanks for all the advice. I've dropped the price €500 over the past 2 weeks. Should I leave room for a "haggling" discount (and if so, how much?) or should I price to sell (at January price) now and shift it before we hit mid-November?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

what are your car details,can you put up a link?
    depends on type of car you are selling....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I wouldn't go dropping the price unless you are getting calls and people are querying the high price, most people will look at a car if they think it's right and then go haggling on the price. Might be better to post a link of your advert here and see what peoples opinions are. If I was you I would leave the car at the price it is and spend 150-200 on a good valet and take about 10 good photos of it and see how you get on with that first.

OK, I'll hold steady on price. Will put "for sale" signs in the car windows too - maybe the prospective buyer will see it first-hand when I least expect it.

What about a text ad in the Irish Times or Indo? It's about €120 or €130 for 4 lines of text. Anyone ever used this method of advertising to sell a car or is it a waste of cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

DaveBH wrote: »
    What about a text ad in the Irish Times or Indo? It's about €120 or €130 for 4 lines of text. Anyone ever used this method of advertising to sell a car or is it a waste of cash?

Ease up ! No need for that. A pic of your car is on carzone already, whats a text ad going to do for you? If someone wants to buy a car the odds are they will use the web.Especially given its so new.

Advertisement