Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knob Nation

• 02-11-2007 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Does anyone agree with me that this is a very tiresome rip off of Gift Grub ? I know one of the lads formerly associated with GG is now behind KN, but it is so formulaic, it is simply NOT funny - and of course Ryan is the ultimate KNOB for playing it. Every day it is the same caricatures, saying something similar - whether it's on Joe Dufflecoat or in the Dail. Is this the best our national broadcaster can do - simply put out a very poor copy or what a competitor is doing ?

Probably !

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Here and here

:)

I've not listened to enough of it recently to form a proper opinion but from what I heard ages ago it really didn't hit the mark for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Stylo wrote: »
    of course Ryan is the ultimate KNOB for playing it
    He doesn't have a choice in the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Knob nation is not funny. The end.

The voices are actually quite good, pity about the writing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I think it's very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Having to produce a daily slot means that they just fill in the space with rubbish if there is nothing much of topical interest.

A fine example of something better done once a week e.g. a Friday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Knob nation used to be on mooneys show in the afternoon too. Some of it was quite good. i agree some of the voices are excellent,others so so. Some guy was on one of joe duffys friday 'fun' slots awhile back and did a bertie/chipper gag that was as funny and authentic as I've ever heard anyone do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

well, doing rip off's of Glenroe (like they did last week) is pretty weak.

As for Ryans intro's and the stupid fanfare...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Knob Nation sucks a.ss in 2 words. The writing is bland, unimaginative and just simply not even remotely funny. Mr Callaly or whatever his name is should not have thrown his hissy fit and left TodayFM in a huff thinking he was better then Mario and that he was going to bury him. Granted some of his impressions are excellent but the drivel he comes up with is painful to listen to. I think he should go back to reading the news again or else find himself a good comedy writer quick before KN gets pulled off the air.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

i love knob nation but i only began lestening to it less than 2 months ago , his kevin myers impersanations are pure gold and he does joe duffy ( who i know like bertie is not hard to do) better than joe duffy

i think hes a better mimick than mario rosenstock but perhaps hes not as good a writer but considering many people in ireland think killinaskully is funny , i think its harsh to say gift grub sucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 eoinf2000

have to agree...if it aint broke....i think the only knob is oliver callan....the writing just isnt funny,i think he just tries too hard.the only sympathies i have for him is that he left today fm and that everything he does will be weighed up against gg.the regular listeners to gg can bare the odd crap sketch because the majority of material is lol funny but kn is always in the shadows and i cant see it lasting much longer.
    mario is just gift!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

It's such a poor imitation of GiftGrub. The voices are good but the writing is just horrific. Only hear it on the night time show and I just cringe when I hear it. Such a tryhard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It was poor in it's infancy but improved after that. I have not heard it in the last few weeks so I can't comment on the recent helpings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Its not great it should be a weekly show and better thought out, but then again I have gone off Gerry Ryan over the years as he is always going on aobut his personal lifestyle and its boring at this point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

it just show the state of the nations airwaves when shows are just cloned on different stations to try and tap into the success of a rival show.
    2fm they think they can throw our money at presenters (colm and jim f@cking ") and shows and airtime slots with this junk.

from 9 -12 all you get is " are they no1 on the download chart.. well they were last week" he is pissing me off alot gerry that is

sorry for rant

ronman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

I find them funny compared to the now stale Gift Grub. seems evry other sketch is Bertie related with them now, which I've never found funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I don't normally listen to programmes like this... but I was stuck in a taxi with it playing last week.

The amount of time that Ryan had to spend beforehand explained who all the voices were supposed to be and what the context of the gag was seemed to be just utterly ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

todays was rubbish. It was rubbish before they had Miley from Glenroe and Michael Noonan. At that point it became intolerable.

Glenroe finished in May 2001. Michael Noonan was a minister over 10 years ago, and was last in the public attention over five years ago.

Perhaps Mondays show will feature Dev and Michael A. Costelloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

I don't normally listen to programmes like this... but I was stuck in a taxi with it playing last week.

The amount of time that Ryan had to spend beforehand explained who all the voices were supposed to be and what the context of the gag was seemed to be just utterly ridiculous.

Tbh, I've only listened to them on itunes. So thankfully i don't have to listen to Ryan beforehand, who i can't stand. Maybe i just find it funny because GiftGrub has been so bad of late.

Advertisement