Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abusive calls and texts made from "my number"

• 02-11-2007 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭

hope someone can help me - i have 2 mobile numbers and saw missed calls on both of them last night. So i rang the number today and spoke to a woman who told me her daughter had received abusive calls and texts from BOTH of my numbers. My phones have been in my constant possession and I checked calls made on the o2 website which shows no calls to this number were made from my phone.

needless to say I'm not happy and neither is the mother of this person.

someone told me it is possible to "create" these calls on the internet - I have only heard about the jajah types which create a 2 way conversation between 2 phones - but this is different as the culprit is talking from "my number"

any help appreciated as I want to get to the bottom of this and get the police involved if necessary.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

It can be done but I've never done it. Did you find out who the person being called was?

Whoever used your numbers must have known they were the same person's phones. I would say it is a friend / family member thinking they are funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

There was a thread a few weeks ago (possibly months) reporting something similar where a guy was alleged to have sent inappropriate texts to a girl and he maintained he never did. Not sure what the final outcome was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭trellheim

Although not the same thing,

emails, which are sent using the SMTP protocol [ Simple Mail Transfer Protocol ] have NO sender verification [ so for example I can send an email that purports to be from admin@boards.ie ] and unless you have access to all the email servers inbetween to trace the logons and accesses to the servers, you don't have a way of doing the same for emails.

I suspect the same applies for SMS-C messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

The networks would be able to trace that. Your o2 call logs can prove that you didn't make those calls and that girl's network provider could trace the calls to see where they originated from. This second part, however is at the networks discretion, and usually (depending on which one you ring) they won't give out that info unless it's requested by the Gardai

I don't have a clue how it would be done though. The fact that you own both numbers would also indicate to me that it's someone who knows you and is having a laugh. Or are they business phones that the numbers might be advertised somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

thanks for all the replies. I rang the mother and asked her to read out the number that had sent the texts - so she started with 08300xxxx6 - I am 083300xxxx. i.e she misdialled 083300 instead of 08300x. Bimbo! So she found the culprit - some mate of her daughters.... Anyway I got an apology.

As for the fact that she had both my numbers - turns out I had seen the missed call the nite before and dialled it to see was it in my phonebook and when it wasnt i hung up. She then saw THAT missed call and tried ringing it. Hence I thought she had both numbers. So I'm a gob****e too! :o

Case closed!

edit - I didn't put the stars in gob****e - it got done automatically - surely thats not too profane a word for the sensitive souls on boards.ie???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You'd want to be VERY careful before you lift the phone accusing people of harassment without being very sure of what number you're dialing. They could very easily turn around and accuse you of the very same thing i.e. nutty lady ringing me up shouting abuse down the phone and accusing me of making calls I didn't make.

I sincerely hope she said sorry!!

Advertisement