Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you ever save a life?

• 02-11-2007 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

I was crossing the road today and an old lady was crossing too, we got half way across and i naturally looked the opposite direction to see if anything was coming and noticed a van flying up the road so i stopped in the middle but when i looked in front of me the old lady never checked the other side and kept on walking. :eek:
    I just about managed to grab her back to the middle before she got mangled by the van that was not gonna be able to stop. It all happened in a matter of seconds but makes you think about being here today and gone tommorow.

Anyone else ever save someone, or get saved by someone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

good Lad, run along now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

My 'arch nemesis' (spelling?) was about to get a serious boot to the face after some randomer started on all of us, he'd already been bounced off a shop window, and the randomer had his leg cocked back, so I dove into him, knocking him back, I was waiting for a bang to the face when he decided to back off and resume his ranting before leaving the area.. Was damn lucky!!

The arsehole never even thanked me.. Kinda thinking should I have done it, he's a wanna be scumbag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

A few I would say, maybe not life threatening, but without help they could have been disabled. I work with a volunteer ambulance corps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I once saved a puppy dogs life. True story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I pulled a kid out of the barrow in carlow a couple of years ago, idiot was playing in the boats that were tied up to the fence..and when I heard a splash followed by screaming and crying, Iput my slippers on and almost fell down the stairs. Got him out easy enough, and I had planned to yell at him about the stupidness of playing with boats in a big river when you're 2 feet high..but he was completely soaked and was just shaking with fear and cold, so I told him to **** off back to his parents.

I saved his life, I don't have to make him feel good about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Nopers, never, well done mairt ;) I once saw a member of the defence forces rescue a guy from drowning in blessington lakes. was scary heh. Kudos to anybody who has saved a life, there's nothing better you can do for a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

mkdon05 wrote: »
    WOW, now thats a real lifesaving story!!!

Bravo Mairt:)

Now I've got a picture in my head of Mairt strutting around to the praise of everyone, while mkdon05 sits in the corner trying to get someone to listen to his old lady story. "But it was a really big scary van...:("

Seriously though, fair play lads.

• Advertisement

blah wrote: »
    Now I've got a picture in my head of Mairt strutting around to the praise of everyone, while mkdon05 sits in the corner trying to get someone to listen to his old lady story. "But it was a really big scary van...:("

Seriously though, fair play lads.

:D:):D

A REALLY REALLY big van:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A friend and I were doing some driving through the outback in Darwin, in Australia's Northern Territory. The sun was beating down on us and we were exhausted, so we thought we were hallucinating when we saw a young man crawling along the ground, clearly distraught and suffering from severe dehydration. We asked him how long he had been there. "Thank god you found me! I've been here 3 days!", he said. "Me cahh's broken down a few miles back there, and I've run out of water... could I please get a bit of yours?" Eager to help in any way we could, my friend and I duely obliged. "Of course!", I said, and threw him one of our bottles of water. The man gulped it down in just a few seconds, and let out an emotional cry of euphoria. As we were on our way back to Sydney, an overwhelming sense of achievement came over me. I had just saved a life. That man would live at least another 5 or 6 hours, and it was all because of me.

It's quite the feeling. I wonder if he ever did get his car started up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Nope, I'd probably watch them die if the opportunity arose, because it's funnier that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

yeah, when i was a little lad (roughly 6 or 7) i was in a swimming pool and some man near me started having heart failure and he grabbed hold of me and pulled me under, i could barely swim as it was and i didnt have the strenght to pull myself away. then some other guy jumped into the pool, lifted me to the side whilst his wife helped me cough up A LOT of water then he went back for the guy and got him out of the pool. i think the guy was taken away by ambulance i dont really remember much after that i was in shock.

Recently, I pulled a youngster up from a ledge (I doubt he would have died, it was roughly a 25 foot drop, but still save him from ****ing himself up something serios!) We were teaching Parkour and he decided he had a bit of bollox about him so he went to the ledge and tried to impress others then slipped. After i pulled him up i nearly kicked the head of him and told him never to come back!
    might be a bit harsh but still...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Binomate wrote: »
    Nope, I'd probably watch them die if the opportunity arose, because it's funnier that way.

you're just untalented and crass :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

yes,

2 people i can think of. oh and a drunk in dunlaoghaire who split his head open after falling down the stairs to the dart platform.

have been saved once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

No, but I ate a baby once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

Similar to OPs story, was crossing the road with the bf. He didn't look right when crossing, and there was a car coming ridiculously fast and I had to pull him back. Was quite frightening that he was that close to being seriously injured!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

:D:):D

A REALLY REALLY big van:D

Well you say 'van' but we all know you mean an 18-wheeled supertruck with lasers for headlights and a roof-mounted cannon firing explosive tipped rounds. Stop being so modest! :D

Kudos to you.

/tips hat.

To answer the question, yeah, I've saved lives before...approximately 30,000 lives a year as a direct result of biological research and diagnostic development done by me and my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I've saved countless lives by not acting on my impulses to kill people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

r3nu4l wrote: »
    To answer the question, yeah, I've saved lives before...approximately 30,000 lives a year as a direct result of biological research and diagnostic development done by me and my team.

When will you realise that biological weapons take lives, not save them!

I once saved a toddler who ran out in front of a merc. I ran out and picked him up, assuming my incredible speed and agility would save him. I didn't realise that I was that unfit and the merc ploughed into me. The little **** was ok, and I'm left with a metal rod holding my leg together and permanent pain in my back (although that could be posture related, but I get more pity when it's from an act of heroism).

humanji wrote: »
    I'm left with a metal rod holding my leg together and permanent pain in my back (although that could be posture related...

I've no idea why, but this has sparked a curiosity nerve in me to ask 'how old are you?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

During the summer I was driving up the mountains from Lagos to Montchique in the Algarve. Long steep winding road with loads of u turns, you know the type. Anyway, came around a bend and spotted a car that had obviously just come off the road and plunged 40 or 50Ft down a sheer cliff edge.

The wife got on the phone to call emergency services while I scrambled down the cliff to check the occupants of the car. Two people obviously dead when I got down there but a third (the female driver) was alive, but only just.

We were a good 15/20 minutes from the nearest town so I knew I was on my own until then. The girl was bleeding out through a badly broken leg and God knows what internal injuries she had. She was in shock but conscious. I managed to get my belt around her leg to stem the bleeding and tried to keep her conscious by talking to her. She was trapped in the car but I don’t think I would have moved her even if I could.

Anyway, after what seemed like hours, first an ambulance and then a fire brigade turned up and I was able to let the professionals take over.

I had to go for a few beers to settle the nerves a bit.

I rang the local cops the next day and they were able to tell me that she was a local girl and was still alive. It was nice to think that I had done my bit.

Edit: If by any chance she is reading this, could I have my belt back?

When will you realise that biological weapons take lives, not save them!

Huh? :confused: Are you mad? Where did I mention biological weapons? Is that supposed to be a joke? Where's the smile emoticon? Explain yourself my misguided friend!

We developed a test for a certain disease that used to be almost impossible to identify. It's easily treated with anti-fungal agents if diagnosed on time. Our test means that it is simple to diagnose and hence treat, thus saving lives...now where the fcuk did you get 'biological weapons' from that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Terry wrote: »
    I've saved countless lives by not acting on my impulses to kill people.

We all owe a lot to your power of restraint!

I was out climbing with school when I was about 15 and I was above a guy in my class (i.e. higher up the cliff face), when he got stuck and became panicked. He wouldn't move to try and put himself in a more comfortable position, and slowly started losing grip. I leaned down and grabbed his arm and held him till the instructor dude came up and basically carried the chap down.

I dunno if I saved his life, but I definitely saved his t-shirt from getting dirty should he have fallen down the cliff face.

In saving his life, I ruined my first ever pair of Nike Air Max runners. Never got a thanks either :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

Yes i have saved my own life

Many many times :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Huh? :confused: Are you mad? Where did I mention biological weapons? Is that supposed to be a joke? Where's the smile emoticon? Explain yourself my misguided friend!

We developed a test for a certain disease that used to be almost impossible to identify. It's easily treated with anti-fungal agents if diagnosed on time. Our test means that it is simple to diagnose and hence treat, thus saving lives...now where the fcuk did you get 'biological weapons' from that?

Is the crabs a disease now?

Goat Mouth wrote: »
    I've no idea why, but this has sparked a curiosity nerve in me to ask 'how old are you?'

I'm 28.

Ah come on, it's AH, of course it's a joke :P Wait, you're not really making biological weapons and I've rumbled you? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

I saved my daughters life - she was about to drown! I left the b*tch who was holding her when they fell into the lake where she was though! :D

Would you believe the stupid STUPID c*nt was actually trying to stop a DOG (a very very strong and furious dog) which was coming thundering at about 30mph with her leg from attacking a fkn DUCK and that's what caused her to fall off a pier whilst holding my 12 mth old baby girl :eek:

Stupid blonde b*tch!!!! :rolleyes:

She got out....eventually, cuts and bruises but she nearly died as she couldn't swim!!!

Shame......

[Edit - Jesus, I must check for typos more often, I type way to fast and way too badly]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

DId CPR and defibbrilator on a guy who's heart stopped, brought him around but unfortunately, he passed away that night anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

i very recently witnessed a woman try to kill herself by throwing herself onto traffic.i just caught her in time.
    it was scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

Does changing your mind about murdering somebody count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Oh and I saved my big brothers life too. Scary scary night. I didn't know I had it in me! But the fact that his life was in danger was partly my fault and I don't want to get into the ins and outs of it on here as there has been no court case yet! (Hopefully there never will be but I won't be discussing it further, I'm a life-saver, that's all that matters!) :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Pulled a few people out of the water before, don't know if I saved their life

Pulled out a body before too, defo didnt save their life!

... hmm a very anticlimactic story you got there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

You're not fooling anyone, you death-dealing butcher. Shame on you.*

The closest I came to saving a life was calling an ambulance for a guy who crashed his motorbike into a taxi. I stayed with him until the medics arrived but he wasn't that badly hurt and now I feel like I missed out.

*:)

agamemnon wrote: »
    The closest I came to saving a life was calling an ambulance for a guy who crashed his motorbike into a taxi. I stayed with him until the medics arrived but he wasn't that badly hurt and now I feel like I missed out.

fighting the urge to say, "why didn't he just take the taxi to the hospital"
    I'm so sorry i couldn't help it, i'm a slut for bad jokes...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Saved a kid who was underwater in a pool. He fell in and was just kneeling there but it wasn't too deep maybe about 1 maybe 1.5 metre.

Anyway I seen him go into the water and as I am walking towards that area I notice that his parents did not see him drop into the pool. So after walking casually for another 5 secs(seemed like 10 mins) I realise no one has seen this and I start running.

There were 2 people with me at the time and they didn't see it either and thought I had flipped. I ran to the edge where I seen him fall in and could see him reaching his hand up but he was kneeling so I just grabbed him and pulled him out of the water.

In the meantime I didn't realise I had bent my ankle backwards when trying to stop at the edge and try grab the kid and really hurt it. Anyway the kid is spluttering and his parents come over and smack him for falling in the water !

I was standing there looking at them and they just walked away. A few people came over and were saying well done etc etc. I started to walk away when I realised I done my ankle in and couldn't walk. Badly sprained !

He seemed ok as I seen him getting an ice cream about 10 mins later !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Saved a mate from drowning while on holidays. He was a very, very weak swimmer and after a few too many beers decided to swim in the hotel pool, I was the only one that seemed to notice he was struggling and dived in to grab him out. He was actually out cold by the time we got him out of the pool but I remembered by boy scouts life saving training, gave him the kiss of life *shudder* and he came around. ****ing idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Goat Mouth wrote: »
    ... hmm a very anticlimactic story you got there

Who, me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

I did intervene when someone was about to take their own life, but don't know the outcome at the end of it :(

I was only 14 at the time - this was before a load of estates were built close to mine, just fields sorrounding us.

It was late(ish) one of the nights and I was about to head in. I see this guy, early 30's, walking quickly towards one of the bigger trees at the far side of one of the fields, rope in hand. He was in a bad state, could even tell that from a distance.

It was into a noose at one end and fairly obvious what he was about to do. Cue me running to one of the neighbours houses and grabbing the first person I saw and trying to get them out to the field.

He ran over and grabbed the rope out of his hand - had a long chat with him, 15 mins or so, and the guy finally left towards the town again.

I never saw him around again, but it's always at the back of my mind that he might have gone through with it a few days / weeks later ... jsut one of those things tho, if they make that choice you can't stop them.

Ah come on, it's AH, of course it's a joke :P Wait, you're not really making biological weapons and I've rumbled you? :eek:
    agamemnon wrote: »
    You're not fooling anyone, you death-dealing butcher. Shame on you.*

/hides anthrax cookies and HIV-cola beverages

Who me? :)

Seriously, when I was a lab scientist I was once physically attacked when I mentioned that I cloned genes for a living...:( dumbasses didn't even want to understand...wilful ignorance. Hence my wariness :)

On a positive side, a lot of people seem to play down their life-saving achievements. Perhaps people who have saved lives should wear their underpants outside their trousers and tie black bin bags around their necks in a super-hero cape-like fashion in future! Might just start a trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Mordeth wrote: »
    you're just untalented and crass :(

Wow.
    Mordeth out-trolled by fellow troll Binomate.

Also fair play to you Mordeth with your story. But the "heartless cynic" image you've so carefully cultivated has been destroyed with that single post. :p

OT Nope never saved a life. :(

I cloned genes for a living...

Now that is something I really am against. I mean, counterfeiting clothes just leaves us with inferier products while increasing the price of brand names. Shame on you! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Once in church, It would have been 2005, I was waiting to sign a book when a big heavy crusifix fell forward off the wall towards the old lady in front of me signing the book, In a moment of brilliance I caught it. She didnt thank me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I hate people blowing their own trumpet. You did a good thing, no need to tell the world and get praise from a bunch of strangers on the internet.

By the way, I'm not aiming this particularly at the OP, more at others who mention their own "bravery" in more than one thread, for example.

Yes, I have also saved lives; my own and that of another, both during the same incident. My family and that idiots family both know this and appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

dame wrote: »
    I hate people blowing their own trumpet. You did a good thing, no need to tell the world and get praise from a bunch of strangers on the internet.

By the way, I'm not aiming this particularly at the OP, more at others who mention their own "bravery" in more than one thread, for example.

Yes, I have also saved lives; my own and that of another, both during the same incident. My family and that idiots family both know this and appreciate it.

Not a very exciting story though is it

dame wrote: »

Jesus, would you ever stop going on about it! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Did you ever save a life?
    Looking at the thread title made me think about the thousends of people who going about their daily life ,interviend to save sombody from being killed ie, pulling sombody back onto a footpath or railway platform ,to stop them accidentally falling into the path of bus,car or train ...and then forgot about it ???

In my case it was pulling my 4 year old daughter out of the pool when she tip-toed into the deep end ,which is why i was there in the first place, to make sure she didn't ....lol :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Anyone else ever save someone, or get saved by someone?

Saved a guy from choking in a restaurant once using the good old hiemlich manouvre. Not very dramatic but it made us blood brothers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement