Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you ever save a life?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Last year in the shannon on a boat an English tourist and his wive were on a rented boat. The man then fell in while his missus screamed at our boat for help. So I jumped in and saved the man from drowning.

He slipped in when he walked on a loose rope on the side of the boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

wheres the i killed someone thread :confused:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

KdjaCL wrote: »
    wheres the i killed someone thread :confused:

kdjac
    It's in PI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

A couple of years back, i sat down with my girlfriend and she said "we need to talk". And i tried to walk and she said "sit down, it's just a talk". I smiled politely back at her.. she stared politely right on through (no idea why but it's happened like that).

There was some sort of window to her right. Then she goes left and i stay right. Somewhere between the lines of fear and blame (and a Abrakebabra down the road) and i began to wonder why I came.

She started saying something like "where did I go wrong, I lost a friend somewhere along in the bitterness". I stopped listening but heard would have stayed up with her all night had I known how to save a life.

TRUE STORY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

basquille wrote: »
    A couple of years back, i sat down with my girlfriend and she said "we need to talk". And i tried to walk and she said "sit down, it's just a talk". I smiled politely back at her.. she stared politely right on through (no idea why but it's happened like that).

There was some sort of window to her right. Then she goes left and i stay right. Somewhere between the lines of fear and blame (and a Abrakebabra down the road) and i began to wonder why I came.

She started saying something like "where did I go wrong, I lost a friend somewhere along in the bitterness". I stopped listening but heard would have stayed up with her all night had I known how to save a life.

TRUE STORY!
    Are you drunk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

basquille wrote: »

TRUE STORY!
    Man, you use your mouth prettier than a twenty dollar whore *sniff*

Terry wrote:
    Are you drunk?
    Nope.. anyone wanna let Terry in on the reference?
    humanji wrote: »
    Man, you use your mouth prettier than a twenty dollar whore *sniff*
    Yeah. Next i'm gonna tell the story about how I saw an angel. Of that I'm sure. She smiled at me on the Luas. She was with another man. But I won't lose no sleep on that 'Cause I've got a plan.

And well, the rest of it is just unexpected and wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Could say I have saved my own life....lol

No I have never saved someone elses life, I hope I will never have to either (Dont mean that in a bad way)....but I recently got a cert in occupational first aid.....might come in useful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

mkdon05 wrote: »
    Anyone else ever save someone, or get saved by someone?
    Possibly. And got abuse for it.
    Back of ILAC, just before last Xmas.
    Was just crossing road, saw Recovery truck (lowloader type) attempting U-turn just about the rear ILAC centre entrance side, couldnt get around in one turn so he started reversing to get another go. He hadnt seen the cyclist who was just behind trying to go right at the same junction. I could see what was happening in slow motion, bike disappeared under back of truck, people nearer seemed to take no notice, driver blissfully unaware, I ran towards him screaming stop, bike under your truck.
    Driver stopped but started shouting abuse at me. WTF! I just stopped you from killing someone. More expletives from him. Truly unbelievable.

Meanwhile cyclist (I think Eastern European/late 40s) picked himself up from under back of truck, pulled out his bike, got back on and as I asked him was he OK (didnt seem to speak English), cycled off a bit shakily up the direction he was taking (having been at the receiving end of a car while on a bike, this is actually a fairly normal reaction, the wobbles/pains kick in later)
    Truck driver drove off, me absolutely gobsmacked at his reaction.

A few minutes later, saw the recovery truck just down the street dealing with his callout (very noble of him)
    Went over to ask what the hell he was giving me abuse for after preventing him running someone over.
    Not exactly apologetically he said he didnt know what I was shouting at him (so his instinctual reaction was to shout abuse back???), and he wasnt exactly bothered anyway cos wasnt his fault.
    When I said well at least you didnt have to report a dead body under your truck and maybe lose your job or get done by gardai. Jaw droppingly gobsmackingly he declared it wouldnt have affected him, wasnt his fault and the gardai didnt care anyway. He genuinely didnt give a sh1t about a life.
    Finished packing up after getting a car started and drove off.
    What a f-n hero.:mad:
    Anyway all I did was shout, so nothing really to shout about.

I am sure Ive been saved several times but nobody willing to admit to it.;)

Excellent 'The Fray' song that basquille, but you should give credit where due
    http://www.lyricsmania.com/lyrics/fray_the_lyrics_4598/how_to_save_a_life_lyrics_14947/how_to_save_a_life_lyrics_173571.html

• Advertisement

wil wrote: »
    Nonsense.. it all happened to me. Who are this band? The Fray? Never heard of them... bunch of story stealing blighters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Indeed I have. T'were neigh 2 score year ago now, and when I were but a younger man. We were fishing for lobster above the Bering strait, when the Beast came at us. T'were 40 fathoms through the withers, eyes as large as dinner plates, TEETH!-as long as knives! I caught up as harpoon, and thrust in deep into the maws of the Beastie, and it writhed there by the stern for such a long time.

I saved the lives of one and twenty men, though. But not before it took me leg at the knee.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Indeed I have. T'were neigh 2 score year ago now, and when I were but a younger man. We were fishing for lobster above the Bering strait, when the Beast came at us. T'were 40 fathoms through the withers, eyes as large as dinner plates, TEETH!-as long as knives! I caught up as harpoon, and thrust in deep into the maws of the Beastie, and it writhed there by the stern for such a long time.

I saved the lives of one and twenty men, though. But not before it took me leg at the knee.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

:D Arrr, best post in this thread by a mile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

yeh,a heart attack victom, (SCA), there was an aed(defibrillator) on scene and i know basic life support and the use of an aed, so i was able to administer oxygen from a cylinder, give cpr and use the aed while waiting for the paramedics to arrive...true story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I never saved a life, but i almost killed a man yesterday..well ok maybe kill is a too strong a word. The idiot walked into the side of my car as i was leaving the petrol station he was loking the wrong direction like. i laughed all day thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

timmywex wrote: »
    yeh,a heart attack victom, (SCA), there was an aed(defibrillator) on scene and i know basic life support and the use of an aed, so i was able to administer oxygen from a cylinder, give cpr and use the aed while waiting for the paramedics to arrive...true story...

That sounds like a great story.
    But adding "true story" at the end doesn't do it any favours TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

one time I stopped a co worker from eating an egg

he could have died from cholesterol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

About 2 years ago I was standing on Wexford st in Dublin. Across the street I saw this young bloke about 18 or so walk straignt out on the road looking the wrong way. Consequently he got totally creamed out by this woman driving a car and he was bounced in a big arc back on to the pavement.
    I ran over to see if he was ok but he was only semi conscious and appeared to have a broken arm. The poor bloke was in shock, shaking, crying, and had shat and pissed himself with fright etc. The woman driving the car was nearly as bad.
    He was muttering in what sounded like German, and I speak a bit of the lingo, so I was able to talk to him, telling him to relax and that an ambulance was coming.
    Anyway he was alone so I went with him in the Ambulance to james's and stayed with him until they contacted his parents.
    I spoke to his father on the phone, telling him what happened, and he asked me for my contact details as he was going to fly straight to Dublin.

It turned out the bloke who was run over was Swiss, and the following day his Father rang me and asked to meet me in the Westbury hotel lobby that afternoon.

When I met him later that day, he insisted on giving me 500Euro for helping his son :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

What on earth is an SCA? Fair play to you for carrying an oxygen cylinder and an AED round with you whilst going about your business. Above and beyond the call of duty, I reckon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

walking home from school one day me mate sean pulled out of the path of a speeding car. Defo would have met my maker. Thanks sean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

That sounds like more than knowing "basic life support".

Good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Yeah, I once interrupted a guy bludgeoning a girl with a rock. Guards said if I'd been any later she'd have been killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

marcsignal wrote: »
    Anyway he was alone so I went with him in the Ambulance to james's and stayed with him until they contacted his parents.
    I spoke to his father on the phone, telling him what happened, and he asked me for my contact details as he was going to fly straight to Dublin.

Fair dews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

pulled people back from getting hit by traffic, pulled a few people (and a dog) out of the sea during work, nothing spectacular though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

marcsignal wrote: »
    About 2 years ago I was standing on Wexford st in Dublin. Across the street I saw this young bloke about 18 or so walk straignt out on the road looking the wrong way. Consequently he got totally creamed out by this woman driving a car and he was bounced in a big arc back on to the pavement.
    I ran over to see if he was ok but he was only semi conscious and appeared to have a broken arm. The poor bloke was in shock, shaking, crying, and had shat and pissed himself with fright etc. The woman driving the car was nearly as bad.
    He was muttering in what sounded like German, and I speak a bit of the lingo, so I was able to talk to him, telling him to relax and that an ambulance was coming.

It turned out the bloke who was run over was Swiss, and the following day his Father rang me and asked to meet me in the Westbury hotel lobby that afternoon.

When I met him later that day, he insisted on giving me 500Euro for helping his son :)
    Nice story. Was the bloke alright in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Nice story. Was the bloke alright in the end?

yeah, he broke his arm, and fractured his upper leg bone, his dad took him home to Zurich within a week or so, and he phoned me again to say thanks when they got there. A few months later at christmas the family sent us a christmas greetings etc

I never heard anything from them since, but i guess he was ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Mairt wrote: »
    That sounds like more than knowing "basic life support".

Good stuff.
    tallaght01 wrote: »
    What on earth is an SCA? Fair play to you for carrying an oxygen cylinder and an AED round with you whilst going about your business. Above and beyond the call of duty, I reckon!

its a sudden cardiac arrest(quick heart attck basically) when someone has one, they have about ten minutes to be resusitated, they start with a 100% chance of survivlal and it decreases by between 7-10% every minute thereafter. Ah, i didnt carry them aroun, they were just in the place it happened(golf club)
    its really only basic life support tho, most people with first aid can give cpr and its not that hard to apply an oxygen mask(watch a episode of casualty and you learn nearly). An AED is not hard to use either, it gives step by step instructions, and even simpler with training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

No.:(

Poor lady collapsed where I was working. I held her hand and shouted for someone to get an ambulance, but I thought it would take too long so I ran to a chemist across the road and called for someone to help. They came running with me and did what they could, but she died.

She was a very loved lady, and her family came to ask me about her last moments. Very sad.

Wish I could have done more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I had to do the hiemlich manouvre on my mum, i was visiting my parents one weekend and it was about 1am, normally i would have been back at my own house by then. My dad was up in bed and didn't hear her thrashing around while she was choking. It doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened if i had gone home earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

The guy I shared a room with at College arrived home tanked one night - after an hour or so asleep, he rose from his bed and went over to the window sill and began to climb onto the sill in a ridiculous effort to open the window and climb out to take a leak - being the life saving sort I was, I managed to persuade him to use the toilet instead after much haggling - The next day he wouldn't believe the story, even though I'd bet there are a couple of similar dangerous drunken urination stories floating around - the thing is, if it happened today i'd happily watch him open the window and tumble out(Forgot to mention, we were on the second floor) - in fact I'd administer a sneaky push to help his descent...life saved/opportunity missed...such is life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

its a sudden cardiac arrest(quick heart attck basically)

so, can u have a non-sudden arrest???
    I don't mean to be a pedant :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

:D Arrr, best post in this thread by a mile!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr...thanks matee! I'll give ye an extra ration o' rum next time I claps me eyes on ye!

Advertisement