Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Mathematics: Linear Motion Problem

Options
  • 02-11-2007 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

I've a problem with the 1997 Q1(b)(iii) in Applied Maths
    Here's the question:
    1997Q1biii.bmp

I can do the first two parts but the last part is proving difficult. What causes the particle to return to q? It's not a collision so I'm led to believe it decelerates until the final velocity is 0 and then accelerates back towards q but I'm unsure what I have to do to answer the last part. Can somebody post a solution?

Thanks,
    Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

It's ok I worked it out. I'm still wondering about other ways to do the last part?
    I may as well post a solution for anyone who wants it.
    (b)(i)
    This part is fairly easy and there are many ways to do it. Let the distance from p to the point of collision be S1 and from Q to the same point S2. Therefore S1+S2=d

Particle P
    u=2u
    a=f
    s=S1
    t=T(same for both)

s=ut+[1/2]at^2
    S1=2uT+[f/2]T^2

Particle Q
    u=3u
    a=-f
    s=S2
    t=T

s=ut+[1/2]at^2
    S2=3uT-[f/2]T^2

d=S1+S2=2ut+[f/2]T^2+3uT-[f/2]T^2
    d=5uT
    T=d/5u

(b)(ii)
    Before the second particle comes to rest i.e. before v=0 i.e. v>0

v=u+at
    v>0

u+at>0
    3u-[fT]>0
    3u-f(d/5u)>0
    Multiply by 5u
    15u^2-fd>0
    fd<15u^2

(b)(iii)
    This is the one that caught me out. Firstly the second particle goes towards p, then comes to a stop and heads back towards q. The collision will occur at q if fd=30u^2 so we need to prove this. The best way is to forget about the second particle and concentrate on what the first particle is doing.

FOR FIRST PARTICLE
    u=2u
    a=f
    t=d/5u
    s=d(as it travels the complete distance from p to q)

s=ut+[1/2]at^2
    d=2u(d/5u)+(f/2)(d^2/25u^2)
    d=d[2/5+fd/50u^2) --- Factor out d
    1=2/5+fd/50u^2
    50u^2=20u^2+fd
    fd=30u^2

That seems enough to get the full marks but I'm still open to suggestions on other ways to this part (b)(iii).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=380
    youll have better luck here mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

You could just argue that since it's constant acceleration and therefore symetric, it would take twice the time it would take Q to return to q. Therefore:

d/5u = 2(3u/f)
    d/5u = 6u/f
    fd = 30u^2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Yep, that's pretty much how I was first thinking but, I wasn't sure what was causing the particle to return. When I think about it you could just say that s=0 at q

s=ut+[1/2]at^2

0=3ut-f/2t^2
    0=t(3u-f/2t)
    t=0
    or
    3u=f/2t
    6u=ft
    When t = d/5u
    6u=f(d/5u)
    30u^2=fd

Sorry, a bit long winded with the equations but since yesterday that came to me and I hadn't written it down so had to work it here to make sure it was right.

Advertisement