Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a GPS in the US, will it work back in Ireland?

• 02-11-2007 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Travelling to the states and was thinking of taking advantage of the weak dollar to pick up a GPS unit.

Any recommendations? Will it work when I get home?

I assume it should just be case of getting the maps for Ireland. Are these available as a free download?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

i would recomend the tomtom 910 as it comes with both us maps and european maps.i have used mine here in the states driving from chicago up through michigan and down to tennessee then back up to michigan and it never missed a beat.

great little unit and well worth the money,has a bluetooth hands free included with it too just .

hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

looks like they are about 550 dollars which is a bit outside my budget. looking for something under 400 dollars.

Like i said, it doesn't need to have US maps, i'll only use it in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

One certainty, you won't get Ireland/Europe maps for free.
    Yes, it will work over here, but getting your hands on maps might be very costly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

let's say I "acquired" the maps on some sort of free way. Its just a matter of transferring them to the unit right?

this tomtom
    was the one I was thinking of getting. I was going to just bring it back, wipe the US maps and replace them with the EU ones.

worth the risk for the price saving or should i just get a unit off pixmania/komplett?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I got one of these in May off amazon while i was in the US office in work:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Navigator-Personal-Assistant-European/dp/B000MF7L5A/ref=pd_bbs_sr_6/104-8678921-7415137?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1194223387&sr=8-6

Charger in box even comes with US plug/British Plug (ours) and European plug (2 prong)
    Also came with char charger and Charges off usb. Maps are good but update is due soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement