Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboards + Processors compatibility?

Options
  • 02-11-2007 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Just to follow on from my other current thread (sorry about that) but had a more specific question regarding the title.

Take this motherboard for example, it states in its spec that the compatible processors are:

Celeron 400 sequence, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Extreme, Core 2 Quad, Pentium 4 Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, Pentium D, Pentium Extreme Edition

Does that mean if I was to buy that board, I could use my current processor (P4) or would it depend on the particular processor I have?

I'm looking at upgrading/building but on a tight budget so if I could keep my processor for the time being and upgrade that at a later date it would be perfect. If I wasnt stuck with an AGP board now I would just upgrade the graphics card probably but want to get a couple of new pieces now, mobo, ram, hdd, graphics card and if required, processor.

Any advice?
    Cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

it depends on wheter or not ur current cpu is a socket 775. how old is ur current cpu and is it a oem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Yes, depends on socket and bus speed. It should support P4 id say. P4 is LGA775 isint it...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah that'll work, as long as your current p4 is 775.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Yes, depends on socket and bus speed. It should support P4 id say. P4 is LGA775 isint it...?

not all p4's are 775, the old ones like mine are 478, so be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Cheers guys. The current cpu is a s478 after checking up cpuz, though I think there might be a s775 knocking about the house somewhere, think ill just upgrade that anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement