Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Bono a self-indulgent hypocrite?

Options
  • 02-11-2007 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Just wondering what yis think of the following blog article on Bono (Is Bono a hypocrite)? The link is below. Have to say, I hate the sight and sound of the bloke myself, so probably am not the best judge!!!!

http://www.gombeennation.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nah, he's just a twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Bono is Bono, he's far from the worst in the world.

People who take the time to write blogs about him being a twat are twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BassAce

bassace wrote:
    Is Bono a self-indulgent hypocrite?
    Just wondering what yis think of the following blog article on Bono (Is Bono a hypocrite)? The link is below. Have to say, I hate the sight and sound of the bloke myself, so probably am not the best judge!!!!

http://www.gombeennation.blogspot.com/

Yep, that's a good point, Super Furry. Pity so many take him seriously!

Love the signiture!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

well for a start, and this is only a guess, you dont know the man personally...
    i cant see whats wrong with what he done moving his money to avoid taxes. everyone has or will at some point in their lives avoid tax.
    fair enough if he doesnt pay any tax, and then blasts the governments for not using tax revenue for charity, then he shouldnt really have a say.
    but at least he is trying to do something about the problems in the third world. and just because he is involved with charity work,doesnt mean that he cannot make any money himself.
    correct me if im wrong, but U2 are the biggest and most successful irish band of all time and even if he is a "self indulgent hypocrite",so what?! its not like none of us have never been hypocritical and self indulgent,what gives us the right to blast someone else who happens to be doing alot of good work for the third world and who continues to make excellent music.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Yet another Bono bashing thread! What a surprise, alert the media, we've found a cure for insomnia!

VR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

I always thought Bono was cool but not after this petty incident...it was only a dam hat

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/article-23374637-details/Bono+wins+court+battle+over+his+old+Stetson/article.do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

alert the media, we've found a cure for insomnia!

Just saw funny this turn of phrase and it made me laugh out loud.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

I cringe when I hear Bonos name, he really urke's me and I become infuriated when I hear about him at one of this World Aids campaigns, talk about over egotised. He is desperate, almost as much as Oprah to be the next christ saviour or something.

Please sir take off the goggles, your not 23 years old anymore.

Doesn't the rest of the band resent him for taking centre stage for the last 2 decades or so. As far as everyone else is concerned, Bono IS U2 so larry and the other 2 must hold the same resentment I do.

P.S. Sorry to all Bono worshippers for the rant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

When did the memo go around to all Irish people to jump on the bandwagon and bash Bono? What the hell is the point?

He's using his image to help against poverty in the third world, he promotes charitys (believe it or not, each band member from U2 donated something like 1million euro each to charity a while back. The media doesn't say that, do they?).

Let's say that all this "Bono's an egptastical twat" stuff is true (Not that any of you have ever met him, but your still able to comment on him as if you've known him personally all your life) - SO ****ING WHAT! I don't care how he does it but the fact is he's probably saved a lot more lives than any of you have bothered to do (and me included) so shut up whining about Bono - it's getting old.

Its a forum where people are free to express their views of Bono, you dont have the right to tell people to "Shut Up", and tell me something? Have you met Bono? So how do you know what he is like then? You do not know him either, the fact is he is disliked by alot of people. You knew the name of the thread and knew what peoples views will be. Take it easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Probably yes, but pretty much everything he has done for the last 25 years has worked out in his favour, so **** it, I'd be one too if I could get away with it :D

trevorku wrote: »
    Doesn't the rest of the band resent him for taking centre stage for the last 2 decades or so. As far as everyone else is concerned, Bono IS U2 so larry and the other 2 must hold the same resentment I do.

Same can be applied to about 90% of bands, Usually the frontman/woman IS the focus of the group. Van Halen is a classic example of that. People focus so much on the vocalist when it's actually a band that the Drummer and Guitarist formed.

VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Bono irks the hell out of me. He's not a good songwriter or musician (I find U2's music to be boring, stuck-up and derivative. Thats not because its "trendy" to bash Bono/U2, its because they suck. Although I admire The Edge. But thats for another debate). As for his charity work, I suppose its better time spent than a hedonistic rock lifestyle. But he is by far the most annoying and pretentious of those elite musicians who think that by organising a concert and rubbing shoulders with world leaders they can change the world.

cornbb wrote: »
    But he is by far the most annoying and pretentious of those elite musicians who think that by organising a concert and rubbing shoulders with world leaders they can change the world.

I'd say you really hate Bob Geldof then! :D
    VR!

Please don't get me started on Geldof, that bloke requires a whole thread of his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Geldof should be admired for his entrepeneurism. ****e musician so he becomes a professional chugger and makes millions. Genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

tbh

As for his views on economics, poverty etc - meh Celebrities should stick to looking good for the tabloid photographers.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bono's just a w*nker who writes sh1te songs and talks through his hoop. Simple as that really.

(I love these threads!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Bono? He's alright I suppose. Just wish he'd shut up about the rainforest and get back behind the drums.
    simu wrote: »
    tbh

I hear U2 also use amplifiers to get "extra" sound out of their guitars. They're frauds basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Earthhorse wrote: »

I hear U2 also use amplifiers to get "extra" sound out of their guitars. They're frauds basically.

Tell me about it! The Edge should be locked up for not being the l33t guitar shredding maestro that every guitarist should be!

On topic, he does come off as a bit up his own arse, but I don't really care I just like their music (well most of it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

so a man who raises profiles for charities and lots of money, including getting debt of african countries written off is a self-indulgent hypocrite.

if you dont like him you dont have to listen to him.

get a life...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Earthhorse wrote: »

Excellent point. The Edge shouldn't take a slagging for creatively and intelligently using effects. Being able to play along to complex delays and whatnot should count just as much as being able to shred like a maniac or whatever. And there is some good playing behind those effects, Bill Baileys skit is just that, a skit. Funny bastard though :cool:

Advertisement