Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIT Parking & Vending Machines

Options
  • 02-11-2007 5:21pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey..

Just a small note to warn people that several unofficial notices have appeared around the college warning people that from next Thursday 08/11/2007 illegal parked cars will be clamped. "Please park responsibly". The notice was dated November 1st.

In other WIT related news.. those new vending machines in the well have yet again been taken down for "upgrade". Basically - they don't work and they clearly cant fix it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Parking at WIT is a free-for-all. One morning I drive up that road, supposed to have two lanes.. but for its entire length cars were double-parked on both sides. I drive up and 3 times, im forced to reverse 500 meters back to the nearest entrance to the carpark.. I wonder what would happen if they did start clamping the cars *note to self, buy bolt-cutters*

As for the vending machines.. would it *really* kill them to have machines that take cash.. or for places like the Gallery and Spar to take something *other* then you WIT card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well Spar accept credit cards and Laser cards. It's really not worth the hassle using your Credit Card to buy a sandwich though - by time it's all verified, you're not hungry anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

There was a class rep meeting with the students union where we were told that the college had resolved all legal and permit issues regarding clamping and clamping would be restarted around the 3rd Nov 2007 so every class should of been told by there class rep.

Regarding the new vending machines students need to have there card checked to see if they can use the machines i had mine checked i think that is why the machines are not working because they have to programme more students witcards into the machines like they did with mine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

cyberwit wrote: »
    There was a class rep meeting with the students union where we were told that the college had resolved all legal and permit issues regarding clamping and clamping would be restarted around the 3rd Nov 2007 so every class should of been told by there class rep.

You would be supprised the amount of courses that A) dont have a rep, B) have a rep who doesnt go to SU meetings or C) have a rep whos ****ing useless (our current situation, where myself and two others are left with the work load).

Besides, they only have like two clamps. At least, thats all they ever had.
    Regarding the new vending machines students need to have there card checked to see if they can use the machines i had mine checked i think that is why the machines are not working because they have to programme more students witcards into the machines like they did with mine.

There was talk about that, but its a shambles if EVERY card has to be updated to work with the system. A group in my course gave our card details and it didnt work. WitCard Office simply say "Machine is being upgraded".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

They were clamping in my time there in the front car park so im surprised that its only happeing in the back one now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

AFAIK, they will only be clamping cars that are obstructing traffic.. or entries for ambulances and so forth. I don't think they will clamp cars squashed into that Bus area. At least I hope not - it's the only place left at 10am.

dlofnep wrote: »
    AFAIK, they will only be clamping cars that are obstructing traffic.. or entries for ambulances and so forth. I don't think they will clamp cars squashed into that Bus area. At least I hope not - it's the only place left at 10am.
    Thats when those muppets dont close it off ¬_¬

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I see those in charge of the clamping have put up signs indicating zones which when parked there, will be a clamping offense.

Looks like the roadway at the side of the library to the back car park will now be empty of illegaly parked cars. Bad enough not being able to walk on the path, but the road was dangerous also.

Porters Office have a number up on who to contact regarding questions regarding clamping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

went there first in 1990, nobody but lecturers had cars,went back in 1999,eveyone had one--too much money nowadays!!pre-dome time when the park Inn was the local and the bridge hotel was THE nightclub,good old days

Clamping is VERY random in the college. If you park on the footpath by the side of the library, they seem to pick one or two of them and clamp em. Its the same thing all around the place. Parking is still the same, nothings changed yet anyway. People dont seem to pushed.

• Advertisement

A girl in my course was clamped the other day. She told the security company she wasnt paying the fine, and she was taking it of. They said they would call the guards on her if she did. She then called them, asked was it okay and they said that its "private property" and nothing to do with them. The guard said they dont have any legislation todo so. She called her father, a council member, who checked and indeed there are no byelaws permitting it.

He came out, and told security unless they removed it - he was. They said they would call the guards, so he cut it of. They started to record him, and he warned them in a hars manner to stop recording him as he does not give consent. He obliged and went back to his car.

He sucesfully cut of the clamp, and she left the college without any interference by the guards. Interesting eh?

Ill have to remember that one next time I get clamped.. got clamped parking up on the kind of grass-footpath area at the top of the carpark by the recycling bins. What I found so amusing was, I parked off the roadway, so I wouldnt be obstructing traffic, and there was a Beemer 5 series parked on the double-yellows. He was there long before I came, and left just before I did, and I was clamped, and he was left alone. Classic. Go for the student with *less* money, then the loaded beemer driver.

In the end, I just paid with the card.. next time.. ill just bring a bolt-cutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

With regard to the updating of the Witcard side of things and how must of the college can only purchase items with cards now it appears the wit card office have decided to take it one step further. Today another new witcard machine called the external temporary witcard machine appeared in the business school. This new machine will dispense temporary witcards which external visitors to the college may obtain and top up in order to buy stuff in the college..Seems to me that this is taking a step back rather than a step forward as we all know of the problems with the New WITCARD Friendly Vending Machines and how great they work... Me thinks the college are making matters worst...why can't they just make the shops cash and card compatible....i mean it is highly impractically going to the bank or canteen to get change of larger amounts of cash ust to top up the Witcard with a fiver or so...maybe it's just me...wat do ye all think?

WIT Parking Update:-
    Apparently they do have a permit to clamp. They have a short supply of clamps, but will clamp cars that are in the areas violating. Tis random in the sense they cant clamp everyone. Apparently, clamping has definately cleaned up parking in WIT.

They cant clamp jeeps since the clamp aint big enough.

Whenever you're finished late in the college someday, I'd urge you all to just take a look out at the carpark and look at the locations of all the remaining (clamped) cars!

Some people park in the most ridiculous and dangerous of places and in my opinion, deserve more than just a clamping!

Sully wrote: »
    WIT Parking Update:-
    They cant clamp jeeps since the clamp aint big enough.
    Pity, Jeeps should be banned outright from the college parking areas.
    Some people park in the most ridiculous and dangerous of places and in my opinion, deserve more than just a clamping!
    True.. but then, sometimes they are the ones that get away with dodgey parking, and those of us that go to pains to park in an area that is not obstructing anyone, such as that bit of green between the top entrance, and the recycling bins.. and we still get the clamp. While those who park on along the side of the road, turning it into a one-way street dont get clamped at all.

Your clamped there because that area is always in use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ah, the joys of having a mini. All those free parking spaces where some fecker has drove too close to the line, not leaving enough space for a normal car... MINE!

Your clamped there because that area is always in use.
    And I suppose the road isnt used at all is it :rolleyes:
    Seriously, who makes regular use of the grass up there.. its the least obstructive place you can park your car, short of parking in a space.. or the bus park. And what added insult to injury.. they let a fecking beemer off scott free, and he was parked before I came there.. and was still there when I left after paying the fine :rolleyes:
    dlofnep wrote: »
    Ah, the joys of having a mini. All those free parking spaces where some fecker has drove too close to the line, not leaving enough space for a normal car... MINE!
    Aye.. same here. Works a treat in work too. Gotta love those "Small Car Only" spaces in City Square too :D

And I suppose the road isnt used at all is it :rolleyes:
    Seriously, who makes regular use of the grass up there.. its the least obstructive place you can park your car, short of parking in a space.. or the bus park. And what added insult to injury.. they let a fecking beemer off scott free, and he was parked before I came there.. and was still there when I left after paying the fine :rolleyes:

If your parking anywhere near the gates by the green, which are used regularly, then yes comapred to the road (which you can still access anyway) you deserve to be clamped. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭antog86

If your parking anywhere near the gates by the green, which are used regularly, then yes comapred to the road (which you can still access anyway) you deserve to be clamped. ;)

The grass area the other person is referring to is definitely never used, fact! What on earth could a 20ftx7ft area of grass up against a railing be used for???Think before you comment.
    As for the reason why the other guy was clamped, I asked the clamping guy and he told me no one car park on the grass anywhere in the college, but where that beemer was parked is ok(on double yellow lines as long as it is not obstructing emergency access......... not my words

On the involvement of the guards, that is correct they cannot do anything.One of my friends has a clamp in the back of his car for the last 3 weeks and they keep ringing him treatening but never do anything.....

The issue of clamping was brought up at a students union meeting today. The college has failed the latest 5 fire audits. More "official legal" spaces have been made in the last while, with the yellow lines being removed on the left side of the street. The point has been made that a lot of students from local areas like Templers Hall & Lismore Park are driving in (several cars from the one house!) which is reducing the number of spaces that could be used by those travelling from a longer distance. Its advised that such people should walk, or reduce the number of cars (its good for the environment and saves petrol costs anyway!). Always baffled me why people drove when it only takes 2mins to walk!

Also, dangerous parking is of serious concern in the college. One car parked 6" from a fire door, and if an emergency happened nobody could evacuate the building as the door opens out and the car was blocking it. This type of parking is putting other lives at risk - so please be careful where you park. The fire service have stated they will drive into any cars in there way, and will not hesitate.

With regards to the WIT Card Machines. New machines are on the way which will allow you to insert change as low as 5c coins.

The ones they have at the moment allow 20c's so I don't really mind about the WIT Card machines.

Not the one by Spar anyway... €1s & €2s only

It says that, but accepts 20c's. Haven't tried anything below that.

Nifty, cheers

Advertisement