Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which telly for Sky+, up to 1700?

• 02-11-2007 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy either LCD or Plasma, which would be used primarily for Sky+ and watching DVD's. I also have a full HD widescreen Sony camcorder which I hope to be able to plug in sometimes and enjoy the quality.

I did some research in terms of the quality and Panasonic/Sony are my preferences, size around 40-42 inch. I looked at Sony's KDL-40W2000, which stands at 1450 at Komplett. I am, however, concerned about the quality from the Sky+ box, I'm not going to go to Sky HD until their prices are reasonable (which will probably happen in around a year).

So I need something offering quite a good quality on SD signal, but capable of HD as well (not necessarily 1920x1200).

Could anyone advise on partcular models & shops to buy at? Around 1700 EUR would be my limit, the stand will go on top of that.

Any hints much appreciated.

--
    Kind Regards,
    Winger / Maynooth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Compared to any other HDTV I've seen running sky digital through scart, the panny PV70 plasma blows the rest away, especially LCDs. Even on the more compressed channels wtahcing zoomed in 4:3 content, from a viewing distance of 8-10' or more, it's virtually unnoticeable.
    The PV70 isn't full HD (1024*768 in fact), it performs brilliantly with xbox360, similarly with upscaled DVD over HDMI and divx or other compressed video files from a HTPC over VGA are also quality.
    My only qualm with owning a plasma is screen burn/retention but once you're careful and don't abuse it during the run-in, it's fine...any screenbrn I've got disappears after 5 min at most (black bars from cinemascope format)
    Should come in below your budget...well below it if you shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Hi,

Thanks for answering. I did some more research already and I'll prob go for Panny plasma, I still want to get something more than 1024x768, in 2 years time prices for HD, e.g. Sky, will be much more acceptable, with more channels available in better resolution.

Looking at Komplett, TH-42PZ70 is 1611 EUR, and they expect to have them in stock in around 2 weeks time.

I take it that the higher resolution doesn't have much effect on the PQ of SD signal?

--
    Kind Regards,
    Winger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I can't speak for the full HD plasma WRT PQ of sky signal....my understanding of why HD displays perform poorly with SD signals is that a less detailed picture is stretched across a detailed screen...so logic dictates that if you stretch that picture across an even more detailed screen you will perhaps get further degradation of the signal....that really all depends on how well the TV's scaler upscales SD to full HD and on the quality of the signal itself (BBC channels for instance look great, some of the non-WS, mor compressed channels can look poor even on a normal CRT)

As for sky's prcing, yeah it has to fall eventually....be a long while before I consider it worth buying/subbing to...

Advertisement