Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How easy is it to switch bank accounts?

Options
  • 02-11-2007 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I would love to switch bank accounts from aib to permanent tsb. They have a new thing where you can get a picture of anything you want on your pass machine card. I would love my beloved dog on mine. And they do 24 hour banking which is pretty handy.

Just how easy is it to switch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

"24" hour banking. You can only actually talk to someone 8am-10 mon-fri and 10am-2pm on a saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well, first of all - is a picture really worth it?

AIB also do 24 hour banking (which, unlike ptsb's [which is only has the automated service available 24 hours, with advisors are there for some of the time], AIB's is actually manned 24 hours). However, unless you consistantly bank at 2am this isn't really going to be much of an issue.

That said, it's not all that complex to switch. Once you get the account set up with your new bank, the banks (theoretically) will do the work for you (transferring over standing orders, direct debits etc).

I'm not sure I'd do it on the strenght of a gimmick like a picture on an ATM card. Check out which bank is meeting your needs and what alternatives other banks offer you. Decide on that basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

And that's all it is - a Gimmick. I've heard of customers switching to PTSB and then switching back because they're crap. I've noticed less and less of the switching ads lately too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Well, first of all - is a picture really worth it?

A picture of my dog is worth it. Having a picture on your ATM card sounds cool. But i suppose iv got pictures of my dog all over the place anyway including in my wallet beside my ATM card. It'll have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I switched from BOI to PTSB last year in order to get the no fees current account. Fairly straightforward process. All my standing orders & direct debits got transferred fine apart from one. The problem one was a DD from one BOI a/c to another BOI a/c, PTSB said there have been problems with a lot of those.

During the switch you have no access to your money for about 72 hours so you need to make sure you have access to enough cash. This is apparently because to do the transfer they close one account and then physically withdraw the cash and physically move it to the other bank - it isn't done electronically so thats why it takes a few days!

• Advertisement
Advertisement