Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk

Options
  • 02-11-2007 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I've read a few of his books, Fight Club, Rant, Diary and I liked them all well enough (very violent/graphic/disgusting) but this new one Haunted really has me struggling. I got to like the second chapter in the book and had to put it down cos I had never read anything so vile in my life. Now I like to be shocked, made to consider things I wouldn't ordinarly even have nightmares about, but this has actually burned an image into my head and I'm not sure I can keep reading it :eek: Does anybody know if Saint Gut-free's story is the worst? Hate to not finish a book but it really was that gross! Incidentally, the only book I've never finished after starting was one about the Wests (Fred & Rose), this book has now surpassed it and it's only fiction!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Lol, I got half way through reading this post thought to my self "has to be saint gut free". His story is definitely the worst one, in terms of disgustingness but its also one of my favourites in the book. If you were going to put the book down for any reason it would be quality, its nowhere near as good as his previous efforts. Don't get ne wrong it is worth reading, just don't expect anything on a par with Survivor or Fight Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

I never understood why thousands of people fainted when hearing that story, sure it's disgusting.. but hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

There is a worse one about a guy that
    falls into a superheated spring when it is snowing, and his skin melts off.
    .:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

It's more disgusting when you hear it being read to you than it is when you read it from the page yourself.
    Don't know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

There is a worse one about a guy that
    falls into a superheated spring when it is snowing, and his skin melts off.
    .:)

Yeah that one was the worst one for me! Nasty stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Is it worse than "Guts"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Saint Gut Free's is the worst although there are other descriptions of mutilations and other unpleasantness. The book itself isn't great. Some of the individual stories by themselves are good but that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 QueenFunkatron

"Guts" is probably the most disgusting, but I think "Exodus" and "Dog Years" are more upsetting. They also have more of a point to make.

Advertisement