Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Elder Scrolls MMO in development

• 02-11-2007 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Link.

It's an interesting concept. It definitely has plenty of backstory and lore for an MMO. If they manage to capture the 'feel' of the Elder Scrolls series it would work great, but there are a lot of things that they will have to do differently, the levelling system being one of them.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've never been a fan of MMO games. The thought of paying a monthly fee for a game I've already paid for just annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I've never been a fan of MMO games. The thought of paying a monthly fee for a game I've already paid for just annoys me.

How about never paying for the game itself? Eve Online charges a monthly fee, thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Really hope this dose not happen as it will turn the elder scrolls universe into nothing more than a constant stream of grinding and also kill off the single player series similar to how world of warcraft killed the single player franchise.

Then instead of the epic events we see befall the world in each elder scrolls adventure like the ashstorms dissapearing after the morrowind main quest or what happens after oblivion were we notably change the world all we will do is head to the stop of some horrible instance kill a boss that will reapear in a few minutes all in the hope of getting some crap item.

SAY NO TO TES ONLINE:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Really hope this dose not happen as it will turn the elder scrolls universe into nothing more than a constant stream of grinding and also kill off the single player series similar to how world of warcraft killed the single player franchise.

Then instead of the epic events we see befall the world in each elder scrolls adventure like the ashstorms dissapearing after the morrowind main quest or what happens after oblivion were we notably change the world all we will do is head to the stop of some horrible instance kill a boss that will reapear in a few minutes all in the hope of getting some crap item.

+1

I bought Everquest as a teenager, very expensive and I was horrified that I had to pay extra fees. I did in the end and while it was fun at first, it got boring really quickly.

The whole notion of paying every month for a game disgusts me.

That said Guild Wars doesn't rely on monthly fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Can't you just think of them as different iterations of the TES universe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Zillah wrote: »
    Can't you just think of them as different iterations of the TES universe?
    Agreed, especially considering that MMO companies have started to move away from the 'grindfest' approach and more towards a casual market.
    They've started to add 'world changing' aspects to some newer MMO's, be it through players efforts (Warhammer Online), or through storyline advancement (Stargate Worlds).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Im cool with an MMO if people want one but what I dont want to happen to the elderscrolls series lore is what happened to warcraft.

I really enjoyed the warcraft universe and lore surrounding it and played WoW for awhile but the WoW's lore was fairly subpar compared to its prequals for anyone who knows the story of both will know that the lore provided when you kill of a major character in the series in wow means little or nothing and you are not given much dialog for each boss.

What im more concerned out about its the diloution of the single player rpg in favor of the MMO.

Im worried that more and more companies are gona start creating MMO's and the single player rpg may go the way of the dodo in favor of attempting to recreate the success WoW has generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

Hi, guys. I was introduced to Oblivion about a year ago and the first couple of times I played it got me hooked.

My first question to the guy that introduced me to it was, how do I get "online".

I know that sounds like such a noob thing to say, but christ, if I was to play an online MMO, TES would be my perfect choice.

Obviously there are so many things there that would need to be worked out, but still I think with the success of Oblivion, it would be a sure fire hit, or at least a moneymaker for Bethseda.

I would really like it if they went and re-made the older games like Morrowind.

Even if they farmed it out to a 3rd party developer...

It would be a sure hit, would satisfy people until the next sequel comes out and keep me happy...

The story is all there. All that has to be done is rebuild the game in the new TES engine. Also a lot of voice work, but still. It would take a lot of manpower, but I still think it is a great idea.

Anyone agree. Waaaaay off-topic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Doomrider

I don't think TES as an MMO simply would not work. Yes, it has the lore, the fanbase, the support, and the cash, however the good people at Bethesda would be forfieting all their values.

The entire concept surrounding TES is that it is a free roaming environment, where you can do literally anything within the boundaries of the engine and laws of physics. As technology has evolved, so have the games, but this key concept has remained the same.

In a MMO restrictions must be placed on the player, so as to create an even ground for all players. This conflicts with the core concept of TES as outlined above.

I love MMOs, and I play WoW and other MMOs frequently, however TES is in a completely different setting then these games. To put it simply, it frankly wouldn't work. If a TES MMO were made, many people would disown the franchise (myself included) and not recognise it as a true TES game. There are already so many good MMOs out there, and there is no need to dilute the market further with an ill-thought out idea.

Advertisement