Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(hmmm,apologies for the following wall o text)

Options
  • 02-11-2007 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭

i have an infraction .
    heres the question i posted
    clearwire/data counter
    got clearwire today,and the download limit is ten gigs a month, just needed to know if there is a program that can tell me how much ive been downloading so i dont go over ten gig mark

thanks in advance

now, 2 members were very helpful and gave me two great answers, i thank them again. but the problem seems that as one ember directed me to a program i need he said
    its free for the first 30 days.
    you could download it elsewhere for a lot less
    tho we cant discuss those kind of things here.

i kno that in the grey areas,and indeed black areas of computing,software piracy etc is not to be condoned, but was he doing that??? NO. He Actually warned myself off saying such things like,where can i get it for free or what have you. also,im sure the mod could argue another part of his reply was hinting at illegal activities.
    unless ure downloading big files, hint hint then you
    neednt worry about having a counter

yes,maybe to the mod that sounded bad,but look at it with a clear mind and you can say, Unless YOU , NERIN are downloading big files hint hint (ie ones we dont talk about here.) you wont need a counter.yet the mod says
    Originally Posted by mailburner View Post
    tho we cant discuss those kind of things here.

But yet you did.... banned for 1 week

Thats my argument for why i feel that the user was unfairly banned.

then i (as i obviously do) felt that was unfair,and said in passing as i thanked the two Helpful members
    thank u mailburner and alanjgrace.
    as for mailburner being banned,how stupid.
    he didnt direct me anywhere,as if i didnt kno where to go. pffft

i think that made it personal for the mod,so i dont mind that he retaliated at me,albeit harshly,but therein lies his power.

i felt that i was justified in stating this,but according to the mod i am not,
    You have received an infraction at boards.ie
    Dear nerin,

You have received an infraction at boards.ie.

Reason: Back Seat Modding
    Leave the mod decisions to us thank you...

when i replied to the P.M that the mod sent me , he told me to go to the feedback threads,so here i am

my basic opinion is that mods are not god,they dont know everything, and they can certainly be wrong,which is only human,everyone can be wrong. i feel the person that gave me appropriate information, and whose words were taking wrongly should not be banned. and i dont have a problem with apologising to the mod if he felt i expressed my views in the wrong thread and attacked his authority or whatever.

i also find it anoying that any mention,even in passing or in warning or whatever, he will punish,but wait,not any,

he states...
    ***DVD Rip/Copy/Backup: read or get banned***
    Since some of you have problems reading the Charter and FAQ, please note that any discussion of how to backup/copy/rip/shrink/etc of any type of DVD is banned here. Regardless of whether they are copyrighted or not.

So anyone posting any sort of DVD backup/copy/rip/shrink thread gets a two week ban. And the same ban goes for anyone replying to a thread.

Consider this the final warning in all cases.

and yet another mod states in his picks of software he recommends

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=231147

Daemon Tools - For mounting ISO (and other) images
    DVD Shrink - DVD Ripping program. Can also burn if you have nero installed.
    Gordion Knot - DVD backup software
    AnyDVD - Helps with DVD ripping (21 day trial period)
    Auto GK (Gordion Knot) - foolproof dvd to avi software
    XP Anti Spy - lets you disable some built-in update and authentication features in WindowsXP
    CDBurner XP Pro - great replacement for Nero
    isorecorder - Tool for burning iso files in XP
    CDex - For Ripping CD's (also converts to compressed formats (e.g. MP3))
    AudioGrabber - CD ripper / mp3 creator

etc etc

now,these programs are used to do things we've been banned from talking about. one rule for the rulers another for the ruled?

i informed the mod ive a grievance with that i was taking his direction and posting this(the original version anyway) in the feedback threads,and looked forward to discussing it with him,like adults. ive yet to hear from him,or anyone ive tried to bring this to.
    hopefully this shall change,
    thanks for being a place to inform,to help and to settle problems.

Nerin
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A link to the thread you are talking about would help.

If you have a problem with a mods decision you don't discuss it on the thread, that's not what the thread is for. You take it to either the help desk or feedback (you've learned that lesson) or PM the mod in question about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

nerin wrote: »
    and yet another mod states in his picks of software he recommends
    Another one of the mods on this site, who are not posting in their own fora, are regular users, just like you. and that said, a lot of the time mods posting in their own fora do so as regular posters.

If you were trying to discuss things that could get boards into quite a bit of trouble, which is why its banned from discussion. learn your lesson, take the ban and move on

also have you got a link to the thread in question, as honestly, anyone can edit quotes to suit their own means, and the full story isn't being shown

i still await a proper reply,his messages are short and stand offish and he has not replied to any of my points thus far

they are stii mods,and the same rules should apply,the person who was kind and helpful enough,and careful enough in his wording gets banned,yet the mod(who acting as a normal user) talks about isos and backups,and nothing is done about it.

ps as for my actions being initialy wrong, i admit that,and yes,now i know that i have to go about things in this thread. i already said that -> i dont have a problem with apologising to the mod if he felt i expressed my views in the wrong thread and attacked his authority or whatever.

what i do have a problem with is the way he,the mod handled the situation,and how the situation itself is being thusfar handled.

ive been told its pointless to argue with the mods,as they will have made up their minds,but im sure thru discussion we can talk thru this somemore and raise important issues regarding mod/normal user relationships

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

i still await a proper reply,his messages are short and stand offish and he has not replied to any of my points thus far

He said "You could download it else where for a lot less". He's implying get it for free off a torrent or somewhere similar. The "tho we're not meant to talk about that here" just confirms this. This is a bannable offence and I'm sure irlrobins is sick of the amount of people who recommend download copyrighted software illegally.

ps as for my actions being initialy wrong, i admit that,and yes,now i know that i have to go about things in this thread. i already said that -> i dont have a problem with apologising to the mod if he felt i expressed my views in the wrong thread and attacked his authority or whatever.

what i do have a problem with is the way he,the mod handled the situation,and how the situation itself is being thusfar handled.

ive been told its pointless to argue with the mods,as they will have made up their minds,but im sure thru discussion we can talk thru this somemore and raise important issues regarding mod/normal user relationships

So you agree that you were wrong for bringing the issue up on the thread. So that's the end of the discussion on the infraction he gave you.

As for mailburner. He did something that warrants a ban and he recieved a ban. So what is left to be discussed?

but the member did not recommend that i take this root.
    the other mod/member recommends software that could be used in illegal activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Meh its a weeks ban. Figtin the powar doesn't work. Believe me.

It was justified IMO let it go.

u'll have to forgive the fact theres only one of me and more than one mod.
    by your(mod) own logic, Khannie shud also be banned,not that I think Khannie should be,i think by logic if your going to be so tough and follow your own rules to the tee, redo Khannie's article,and be less harsh to the member that was banned on the legal software thread i created.

as for
    Meh its a weeks ban. Figtin the powar doesn't work. Believe me.
    that is a sad statement. (not attacking you, just the lack of effort people will make to speak up. i choose to speak up,and that is my right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

ive been told its pointless to argue with the mods

I don't think that's the true.

Anyway, I do see where you're coming from, and in the case of the Essential Free Software thread, it does send out a double standard.

If you have a thread like this one: DVD Rip/Copy/Backup: read or get banned, then it would indeed be prudent not to recommend software that could be used to do things that will get you banned.

Now, I don't think it's a case of "One rule for the rulers" or some such, but simply that the first thread was created a couple of years ago, whereas the ban warning thread was created this year, by a different mod. There are a serious amount of legal pitfalls with regards to online communities like this, and lately boards has had to be more vigilant against illegal activity.

It could just be a case of the Free Software thread simply being out of date with regards to new standards. Mmmkay?

I think that Irlrobins was right in banning the user who was recommending illegal activity (And being damn cheeky about it; "Not supposed to talk about that), but this does not suggest conspiracy theories or seperate rules for mods.

It's definitely good that you point this out though, because it is something that should be looked at, and the Essential Free Software thread should be titied up a bit, and reflect the newer rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

here here

im glad you are looking at it from my point of view,and being fair about it.
    i dont think theres conspiracies with the mods(but now u mention it lol) :D
    i jus seem to have to keep exagerrating the point as previous people dont seem to want to look at things from the alternativ e point of view,im sorry to the others,but that is the feelin that u bring across.
    as for my admitting i was wrong,yes,i can admit that. and also feel irlrobin was a bit harsh, nevermind his infraction, but just his manners.
    i appreciate the legal pitfalls,and i know thats why we arent to talk about warez etc,im also happy that u could see the point of the thread being out of date and possibly being misleading.

u'll have to forgive the fact theres only one of me and more than one mod.
    by your(mod) own logic, Khannie shud also be banned,not that I think Khannie should be,i think by logic if your going to be so tough and follow your own rules to the tee, redo Khannie's article,and be less harsh to the member that was banned on the legal software thread i created.

Firstly they are not my rules. They are the rules of that forum which I am not a mod of. Outside of the forum I mod I am a normal member. I can get banned from the forum in question. I am only going by my interpretation of the rules which may be flawed or wrong.

While the software he recommended was perfectly legal the method he suggested of obtaining it is not and is a bannable offence here.

As for Khannie's post, the way I see it is discussing how to backup dvds is out (because the information given could be used to do something illegal) but discussing the software that does it isn't (because the software itself isn't illegal). Remember this is just my interpretation it could be wrong.

No bother. You raise a very valid point, which deserves a valid response.

However, I don't think Irlrobins was too harsh with the ban. The fact is, the warning thread is right there, stuck to the top of the forum, it's in plain sight and highlighted with stars. It's not easy to miss that kind of a thread, so it's hard to plead ignorance in a case of breaking the rules, and not only did Mailburner break the rules, he stated that he was fully aware of this.

The warning is right there for everyone to see, so if someone breaks it, they deserve what they get.

And I don't think that Irlrobins' manners really comes into it.

this is the type of discussion i wanted,not an overblown arguement!
    i see that we arent going to unban the member,even though i feel it is too harsh,i suppose it happened,and its over,even if i feel a lil guilty he got baned on my thread.
    id really like to talk to irlrobin to bury the hatchet,i feel that his manner towards me is wat annoyed me nearly more than him banning a fellow member.
    but he still hasnt replied since this morning. hopefully he'll be around tomoro and that can be the end of it.
    i jus suggest that(as tiresome as it can be,and slower) mods should calmy discuss issues,instead of previous attitudes.i praise Karl on his way of approaching the issue.
    thats me off the net for now,i shall possibly return tommoro.

nite guys

Nerin

Don't feel guilty about it, nerin. He was in the wrong and he knew it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

the Essential Free Software thread should be titied up a bit
    Agreed, but posting pr0n is also a bannable offence, no?

DesF wrote: »

Posting pr0n should be MANDATORY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

DesF wrote: »

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I have no idea what happened there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

My long awaited reply :p
    My messages were not intended to be stand offish. I don't type a paragraph when a sentence will do, it's my style of posting if you will. That coupled with the fact that I was in work and my time was therefore short. I did not reply to any of your points as I wasn't aware of this thread until now. You had said in a PM that you were starting a thread but I didn't see it at the time.
    i feel that his manner towards me is wat annoyed me nearly more than him banning a fellow member.
    I'm not sure how my "manner" offended you. I wasn't rude and I answered your PMs each time.
    nerin wrote:
    but he still hasnt replied since this morning.
    See above
    The warning is right there for everyone to see, so if someone breaks it, they deserve what they get.
    QFT
    And I don't think that Irlrobins' manners really comes into it.
    Well to a certain extent it does. I always try to be polite in my dealings with users as a mod. I've never resorted to calling people names, even after they've been abusive to me. I respond to users the same way I'd like them to respond to me. So if my manner was rude or offensive then certainly it would be fair to make a complaint about it. But I feel that this is not the case here.
    While the software he recommended was perfectly legal the method he suggested of obtaining it is not and is a bannable offence here.
    Correct
    As for Khannie's post, the way I see it is discussing how to backup dvds is out (because the information given could be used to do something illegal) but discussing the software that does it isn't (because the software itself isn't illegal). Remember this is just my interpretation it could be wrong.
    Correct again. Personally, if I was sole mod or admin of this site, I'd ban any discussion of apps like BitTorrent, Limewire etc because although the software itself is not illegal, 99% of it's use is. And I personally take a strong stand against software piracy.
    in the case of the Essential Free Software thread, it does send out a double standard.

If you have a thread like this one: DVD Rip/Copy/Backup: read or get banned, then it would indeed be prudent not to recommend software that could be used to do things that will get you banned.
    but simply that the first thread was created a couple of years ago, whereas the ban warning thread was created this year, by a different mod.
    I understand Karl's (if that really is your real name :p) thinking here. And yes it's a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. The two threads were created at different times and since the software list's creation some additional rules have come into effect, such as the DVD rip one. We probably should update the list to remove the DVD software (as I had done with P2P apps previously). I'll discuss this with my co-mods first before making changes.
    Terry wrote: »
    I have no idea what happened there.
    Useful insight there Terry. :rolleyes:

And thus ends possibly one of my longest posts on boards. :D And that popping noise was the result of getting my first feedback thread directed at me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

irlrobins wrote: »
    And thus ends possibly one of my longest posts on boards. :D And that popping noise was the result of getting my first feedback thread directed at me. ;)
    pfft it doesn't count if there aren't any cat pictures posted :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Blowfish wrote: »
    pfft it doesn't count if there aren't any cat pictures posted :P
    I didn't want to over do it on my first attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

To be honest, khannie can be a bit over zealous on any mention of "shady" activities. YES I AM BITTER OVER THE SF2 RESULT.

Advertisement