Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's this tube? And where should it go?

Options
  • 02-11-2007 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

See attached picture of the engine of a ford focus (one I found on the net, but looks the same as mine.)

I was looking at the engine this evening in my 2000 1.6 focus and noticed the tube I have circled in red isn't attached to anything on the other end.

If you follow it in its natural direction it looks like it wants to go into the air intake box, there is a hole there where it would fit perfectly I just don't want to stick it in there in case I'm completely wrong.

I have no idea how long this has been like this.

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It's a low resolution image but it looks like a breather pipe from the sump. If so, then it should go into the air intake, so that any fumes get burnt off by the engine. They can cause problems on some cars, vw's in particular, the vapours from the sump can gum up the throttle. It may have been disconnected to prevent this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep the airbox, take it off and give it a good shake (beware gunk flying out!)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Thanks, so its not that important? - i.e. having it disconected will not have caused problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yep - it's a breather pipe. The other end should connect to the crankcase.

Advertisement