Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Around The Horn #1

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

flahavaj wrote: »
    Aw S***E. There's no mention in the original question that VKM wasn't allowed,. Can i stick with this one? Pretty please?:o

if i hadnt said it prior to your post id let you but after responding to the tunney Q i knew someone would go for Vinnie Mac and excluded him as his arguement would be too easy IMO and encompass far more than a GM/Commish type role.

you can go again if you wish or stick with your orignal answer and get a couple of points deducted from this round, choice is yours. sorry, should always read the whole thread though if only to see if soeone else has ade your arguement already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

if i hadnt said it prior to your post id let you but after responding to the tunney Q i knew someone would go for Vinnie Mac and excluded him as his arguement would be too easy IMO and encompass far more than a GM/Commish type role.

you can go again if you wish or stick with your orignal answer and get a couple of points deducted from this round, choice is yours. sorry, should always read the whole thread though if only to see if soeone else has ade your arguement already.

I only skimmed the other posts, unfortunately, my bad. I'll probably leave it with what I have and sacrifice the few points, I haven't the heart for an essay proclaiming the greatness of Stevie Richards' reign as self proclaimed commish of Sunday Night Heat! :D

okay, though there are numerous GM types nobody has mentioned such as Flair, Steph, Stone Cold, Teddy Long, Vickie G, Armando, Heyman etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

okay, though there are numerous GM types nobody has mentioned such as Flair, Steph, Stone Cold, Vickie G, Armando, Heyman etc..

You have grossly underestimated my chronic laziness my friend. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

okay, though there are numerous GM types nobody has mentioned such as....Vickie G..

Anyone looking to make a surge up the points table ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

But wrestling is supposed to be amped up.

I don't think the authority figure necessarily should be amped up. If he acts seriously, the angle that he is talking about comes across that way too. There's still room for plenty of comedy in wrestling but some people need to be a level above that.

I honestly have no vivid recollection aside from Michaels turning up at Wrestlemania 15 in his role comisoner. I think his hard living might have had something to do with his sporadic appearances at the time rather than being part of the design of his character.

With Tunney it is different for me. I remember him screwing Hogan in '91, reinstating Macho Man to face Jake Roberts in '92, making his ruling on the Jakes snake and stripping Shawn Michaels of the IC belt in '93 so clearly.

I think Teddy Long was up until he ended up in a coma kinda similar to Tunney. For quite a long time, he was just the GM who had minimal involvement but when he did, tried to intervene fairly. He was quietly very effective in the same way Tunney was in the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

okay, though there are numerous GM types nobody has mentioned such as Vickie G,

Anyone looking to make a surge up the points table ;)

I love a challenge ;)

For one, Vickie being there means more than any of the others. She is a constant reminder of one of the most loved dead wrestlers and the very fact that she is there is a testemant by the WWE to his memory. She herself has also done many deeds that exemplify her and show her true passion for wrestling and keeping integrity in the show. For one, she removed the cruiserweight title from Hornswaggle. She also carried on in the company despite the death of her husband, which shows that she is the most dedicated to the business and willing to turn herself heel for the benefit of others (unlike Foley) despite the fact her position makes her a natural face. She is keeping the Guerrero traditition alive while in there.

Another reason she is a great GM is that she presents a different figure to the others. While every other woman on the WWE is a laif, buxom beauty, she walks proudly among them despite her inadaquacies, an inspiration to all women (ask RebelRockChick if you're a non believer:rolleyes:)

Should've picked the Coach:mad: damn you Charles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Ill do it tomorrow , laptop screwing up ,ill repost a reply tomorrow to the person i replied :) to. I dont wanna break the rules

ATH Round 4
    Q. most expect a Jericho return in conjunction with the Save us222 promos, but if the WWE were to throw a swerve and it turned out to be someone else who would you hope that person would be? and why would this person be the best choice in your opinion to Save us?

current leader board
    1. Flahavaj (52)
    . Vince135792003 (52)
    3. Gimmick (48)
    4. Charlie McMugh (45)
    . validreasoning! (45)
    6. Bubs101 (39)
    7. Mr Nice Guy (16) 1rd
    8. Danger Dave (14) 1rd
    9. Minto (10) 1rd
    10. Callaway92 (9) 1rd

----

Incase your unaware Danger Dave Regal had a stint as the Comimsh previous to his current GM role in which he had many great comedy skits with Tajiri. apart from that welcome to the game.

2 rounds to go now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

ATH Round 4
    Q. most expect a Jericho return in conjunction with the Save us222 promos, but if the WWE were to throw a swerve and it turned out to be someone else who would you hope that person would be? and why would this person be the best choice in your opinion to Save us?

Edge!
    As you know, i really don't think Jericho is coming back and is actually a swerve.
    For a number of reasons. He's already been advertised for Survivor Series, so he's the last person that anyone would expect. He's also ribbed Jericho before by using his entrance, and is the one person that could improve all three brands by coming back, I mention that as those promos were shown on all three. Eventhough they are slowly doing away with it. Cryptic clues are cryptic clues for a reason, they don't always have to make sense. Which is why i think there are too many schmucks out there playing them back in slo mo trying to figure it out!

Why would he be the best? He's one of the best heels WWE have had to offer in a long time. His cocky heel persona and he'd have to belief to save anyone. He'd definitely save the WWE in it's piss poor shape that it's in, and that's for sure.
    I also think it's WWE's failed effort to make a ratings dent.
    VR!

• Advertisement

Christian, more to come (UCD calls)

You picked a hell of a week to do this. This game plus teaching practice just don't mix.

The only way it would really work if the person they replaced for Jericho was of bigger name value. It seems like alot of the fans already know it is Jericho and if a swerve was done in the eyes of the fans with somebody of less importance, it would be another Hornswaggle McMahon moment

So I guess under those criteria, I'd have to pick........Bobby Lashley. Just kidding.

Aside from all the very unrealistic options, I would go with Sting whose contract is up shortly. Now maybe you can argue that this is 2007 and Jericho has passed him but I think there's alot of value in him still.

For example, he made a bigger impact on tv rating for TNA than when Kurt Angle first joined. Their tv numbers are nothing to write home about but he got them a few 1.2's in the 11 o'clock time spot when he first debuted which for that time is pretty impressive.

Also other reasons:
    - One of the very few top, top guys of this or last generation that have never been in the WWE and sets up about a half dozen of new, fresh matches that if booked correctly could really draw well.
    - If put in the ring with the right guys, he can still go.
    - WWE could do a a helluva dvd on him which would mean, well more money.

Since I'm assuming we have to stick to realistic options which would rule out The Rock and Lesnar I'll go with ....

Heyman and a posse.I would change the save us thing into a plee by the remaining ECW originals to help save some of the credibility of the original show. I'm still of the opinion that ECW is putting on a very good show and has good talent. If you had Heyman come back with Rhyno and Raven in suit you would have arguably the greatest hour of TV on the WWE.

There would be multiple benefits. For one, you would have Heyman vs. Estrada fighti ng for control of the company which would be more entertaining than any other out of the ring rivalry they have. Secondly, it would probably force the Boogeyman of TV. With the Miz,Morrisson,Punk, Burke and V all certanties, alot of the lesser mid-card talent would be replaced by Rhyno, who always puts on a good show and Raven, who although nowhere near his best is still entertaining. It would also give alot of credibility to ECW. To have Heyman associated alone would be a boost but both Raven and Rhyno seem to symbolise the ECW lifestyle better than RVD (at least on screen)

Although you could say this has been done before, this time there would be a massive difference. They'd be heels and arguably the hottest heels in the company. Don't think Raven crashing Jericho's entrance would go down a treat with the younger fans. Even try and get Y2J in as a one off and have Rhyno and Raven destroy him before he even gets to the ring in an old school ECW way, with anything they could find. Coming in as heels would also give them the license to do whatever they want. Hopefully do more for ECW than Sandman's couple of beers before a match which just looked like a poor Austin parody on WWE TV

Ye i was aware but only realized after i posted, was great, so damn marked down on that :(.

A. Its a Tough Question, If the WWE were to throw a swerve ball. The Best candidate for it would be in my opinion would be Christian.He could feud with Orton/HBK (depending if HBK gets the title soon) straight away and go for the title. I know its one big push, but it would work in my opinion, also the beauty of it is that he can be Face or Heel. Starting him as a Face would probably work better and turn him after he wins the title. I really think he could have a great match with HBK or Orton if he was the heel, with HBK as champ. Orton and HHH can feud for awhile, after umaga has been buried.

With Christian they get some who can wrestle/mic skills and can get genuine heat from the crowd, or pops depending on Heel/Face. When edge gets back you can have a big feud with the two of them, with or without a title. Leading up to a MITB side rivarly for WM.

rule break - argument already made/reserved.
    VR!

VR!

Argument wasnt made he tried pick it but made no argument why?. So a Ruling needs to be made there. I was going to say Big show but my heart was not in it :)

I don't think there's a rule about making the same argument VR.

College obviously gets in the way, but he would have come back to it :)
    Better get yer big show speech ready
    (in your defence, he did take an awful long time to follow it up)

VR!

VR!

Cheers mate.
    Argument wasnt made he tried pick it but made no argument why?. So a Ruling needs to be made there. I was going to say Big show but my heart was not in it

As I tried to indicate in the post, I had to head into college, so I didn't have time to churn out an answer when I saw the next topic announced, but knew the answer I would give.

A bit harsh going for Christian even after you admit that you were gonna do Big Show, no??

• Advertisement

Ooooh, the controversy!
    VR!

not really a rule break as i said in previous questions you can pick the same person to answer on but that your answer would suffer as you would be basically making points that have already been made. However in this situation they have not already been made although Charlie has stated his intention to make them. To resolve this i would prob dock some points off one or both answers (like with Flahavaj in the last rd) or Charlie could always change his choice when he edits his post but since Danger Dave cannot win having missed earlier rounds I will just mark each on their own merit and ignore that they are going to be essentially the same arguement. does that sound fair?

edit: or dave can go big show

Cheers mate.

As I tried to indicate in the post, I had to head into college, so I didn't have time to churn out an answer when I saw the next topic announced, but knew the answer I would give.

A bit harsh going for Christian even after you admit that you were gonna do Big Show, no??

I was doing Big show, but then i realized that Christian has more potential. To be honest i didnt see your post. Ill retract my argument if its against the rules, and go with my Big show argument

Sounds fair BH, cheers.

Anyways, I'm going to go ahead and give my argument for Christian.

As a general point applicable to all nominations, I believe that it would be great thing if it wasn't Jericho behind the saveus videos(as long as its not a bait and switch, hornswoggle type wrestler). Don't get me wrong, I want to see Jericho return(just at a later date). But more so, I want the return of an element of the business that has been lacking for the past 6/7 years, that of the element of surprise. Nothing is a surprise in the wrestling business anymore, everything is leaked or announced, and I believe this is reflected in Raw's ratings. I just think it would be nice to see some other big name return as the saveus, to restore a small bit of the surprise element to wrestling. Anyways, I just thought this was worth mentioning.

First off, I feel that should it be Christian, it would not feel like a bait and switch. Granted, he is not as big a star as Jericho, but I feel the moemntum he built up just before he left, and the fact that he has held the belt over in TNA, gives him a credibility in the fans eyes that would allow him to fulfill the hype surrounding saveus videos.

Secondly, Christian is one of the few, if not only, 'Stars' that isn't with WWE that probably has his best years ahead of him((aj styles, joe etc wouldn't be that well known to the masses). Bringing in someone like Sting is not the answer. Its 2007 not 1997, I think Nash, Steiner, Goldberg are good examples of this not working very well.

Thirdly, the range of feuds that are open to Christian are endless. His character was just about to break into that top tier just before he left, and I feel that should he come back, thats where he would be at. His ability on the mic would allow him to work some A++ programs with the likes of Cena, Orton, HHH and HBK(and possibly Jericho too if he returned at a later date). Perhaps though the most interesting feud would be with Edge. Christian has been absent from the fed since Edge became the main eventer that he is today. Both have won a world title in that time, and with both their abilities to cut great promos, and their history, I could see them having a great feud based around this. There would also be the side possibility of working a short program as a tag team against the Hardys, I know i'd pay money to see that happen, but just as a one off deal.

Finally, I think Christian being the one behind the saveus videos would be great as it would be the first big name form TNA to jump ship, and in general, a big surprise. This is something that we haven't had since Vince bought WCW and an element of the business I really miss, not knowing if the other companies guy is going to turn up on the others show. I remember how great it was when the radicals arrived.

now that thats cleared up(see what i meant when i said it was like i was the ATH mod:D)... hopefully flahavaj and gimmick will now reply before 2ish tommorow when the final as yet undecided topic will be posted.

Bringing in someone like Sting is not the answer. Its 2007 not 1997,

The year is 2007 and if you want to bring in a guy who can draw money for 12 months, if you use him right, he's the guy to do it. I think Sting gets under appreciated by Irish wrestling fans in general. Most Irish fans haven't followed his career regularly due to watching mostly WWE and as a result they minimise his career. He's a big deal. I'm not saying he's Hogan but he's a big deal.

You put Sting on Raw, book it right and you'll get some viewers tuning back in again that haven't done so for a long time. Also:

-He drew better than Kurt Angle did if you compare both TNA debuts.
    -He's got an allure about him due to him never appearing in WWE ever. WWE could really play that up.
    -Every feud that he would be involved in would be completely 100% fresh.
    -He'd be seen as a top tier guy from the get go.
    -Even at his age, he can still go in the ring.

• Advertisement

Edge!
    As you know, i really don't think Jericho is coming back and is actually a swerve.
    Why would he be the best? He's one of the best heels WWE have had to offer in a long time. His cocky heel persona and he'd have to belief to save anyone. He'd definitely save the WWE in it's piss poor shape that it's in, and that's for sure.
    VR!

I disagree on edge being a good different direction. The main reason is he's only injured hes not new and fresh. I agree hes the best heel the WWE have on the roster at present, but to bring him in as Save us222, will be seen by the viewers as a cheap way to boost ratings for one raw, also save us222 is being pumped for Raw more so than smackdown, and edge has ready made feuds when he comes back from injury on smackdown. I think the person to come back from Save us222 needs to be someone old in terms of being not being on WWE shows for a good period of time.

Edge!
    For a number of reasons. He's already been advertised for Survivor Series, so he's the last person that anyone would expect. He's also ribbed Jericho before by using his entrance, and is the one person that could improve all three brands by coming back, I mention that as those promos were shown on all three. Eventhough they are slowly doing away with it. Cryptic clues are cryptic clues for a reason, they don't always have to make sense. Which is why i think there are too many schmucks out there playing them back in slo mo trying to figure it out!

VR!

Whilst I agree with you to an extent VR that its certainly not a given that Jericho will be the man behind the videos (although he is the front runner in my view) I disagree with your choice of Edge for the sole reason that his comebcak has already been openly revealed and promoted by the WWE, it just dosen't fit that he would also be the one behind the saveus videos. If it was Edge I feel it would very much be a bait and switch for the reason I outlined above, the equivalent of a person who's birthday falls near Christmas and they are given a present covering both.

ATH Final round
    Q. Every year the Royal Rumble is built as the chance for anybody in the company to get a chance at WWE gold and headlining WM, when in actual fact we all know the winner will almost always come from a select group of Main-eventers. What if the WWE were to actually surprise us and send an unexpected Wrestller on the Road to Wrestlemania via the Royal Rumble. Who would be a good choice in your opinion for such a massive unexpected push?

current leader board
    1. Vince135792003 (68)
    2. Charlie McMugh (63)
    3. validreasoning! (61)
    4. Bubs101 (54)
    5. Flahavaj (52)
    6. Gimmick (48)
    7. Danger Dave (29) 2rds
    8. Mr Nice Guy (16) 1rd
    9. Minto (10) 1rd
    10. Callaway92 (9) 1rd

----

Although im sure those who moved up the table dont mind too much, its a pity Gimmick and Flahavaj didnt make the last round. Vince the titles within your grasp unless this final round throws up a shock.

last round has begun.

Cody Rhodes

For a few reasons. The first big one is that he's a rookie that was pretty much thrown into a program with one of the biggest pricks and rookie haters in the company, Bob Holly. And not only has he held his own, but he's actually made Holly not look so bland. He's got the makings of a future champion, I believe. He reminds me a lot of Randy Orton during his debut in 2002. And really, who would have thought he would have risen to the heights has now in his first two months.

They would need to do some character work with him, babyface isn't working for him, but if he had the intensity of Dusty, the freakishness of Dustin and a psychotic character. I think he would make an unreal heel. Plus he's not being made into the next American Dream character. He has much more ring talent than Dustin ever did. They would need to take their time building him though and not give him too much too soon though.

VR!

Edit: I know i have f*ck all hope of winning this thing, but to come either second or third, i'm actually quite happy with. :)

The Miz!

In the past, the Royal Rumble has had to be won by a big name so as to give the Wrestlemania main event some credibility, but with the brand split there are now 3 titles up for grabs at Wrestlemania so you can have a wild card win it without having to have a lesser wrestler or a smaller draw in the main event. It also allows someont to move brand which is just one of the reasons I think the Miz would suit.

Considering he was in the last one for all of 4 seconds, I think it would be very ironic if he went on to win the thing by knocking out Khali and it would make for a good Rumble moment. Secondly, he's very charismatic and well able to pull of promos and he's good on the mic, Something which certainly can't be said for Hardy while hasn't been tested. His wrestling style would also suit a surprise win. A running finisher in the Mizzard of Oz and he's also the type who stays down for long periods and recovers, which I think would be essential for a surprise winner. He also has pulled of big surprises before in pinning Benoit and he's fairly popular with the fans as his Cyber Sunday poll victory showed despite being a cocky heel. He also fits the surprise criteria to a tee. Not exactly the man you'd want in the annual office Royal Rumble spreadsheet so it would be a real surprise, where as Hardyswould always be considered decent outside shots the Miz would just be there to make up the numbers and thus be a real surprise, ala Greece in the European Championships.

I also feel his character would allow for an easy finish without damaging the credibilty of his opponent in the way a losing it to Cody Rhodes would. It's not too hard to imagine one of his Harem distracting the last man to give The Miz! the chance for a steal, a scenario hard to envisage with many of the long shots. The Hardy's and Cody don't have a manager, let alone three.

Regarding VR's selection, if the Rumble entries are to be divided 10:10:10 between the brands then Cody probably wouldn't be in there from Raw. Hard to see him getting ahead of Kennedy, HHH, Micheals, Lashley, Hardy, Carlito, Shelton,Cade,Murdoch, London Kendrick or even Bob Holly.

• Advertisement

Q. Every year the Royal Rumble is built as the chance for anybody in the company to get a chance at WWE gold and headlining WM, when in actual fact we all know the winner will almost always come from a select group of Main-eventers. What if the WWE were to actually surprise us and send an unexpected Wrestller on the Road to Wrestlemania via the Royal Rumble. Who would be a good choice in your opinion for such a massive unexpected push?

A: Matt Hardy, I think if give the win to Matt, depending who's champ we could have a great match, matt already being pushed for US title, but if by RR, they had him either as US champ or still fighting for it,i it would be a total shock, Also you could build huge momentum for him at No way out, with say a fight for his title shot, say against edge? now that would be good.

We've seen that Matt's mic skills are improving every week in his feud with MVP. Ive also seen a marked improvement to Matt's wrestling skills since hes gone to single wrestling on Smackdown this time . The most important point that makes Matt a viable person to get the unexpected push is that, if you put him in the ring with the top guys, you may consider him not as good but not totally out of his league, which builds on the underdog persona. Add the underdog persona with how hugely over matt is with the fan's at the moment and i think you've got a winner.

Think of the possible matches we could see with Matt as #1 contender at WM.

Smackdown, Undertaker vs Matt Hardy, Edge vs Matt, Batista vs Hardy (please god no), Khali vs Hardy ( again a bad idea ) , Rey vs Hardy.
    Raw (more unlikely because i think we all know its gonna be Orton vs HHH) Orton vs Hardy, HHH vs Hardy , HBK vs Hardy. Or any number of triple threats if they don't trust him to headline it with just one other guy.

Also bounty hunter , any chance of getting a break down who won what round, Highest points fora single round, lowest, etc when its finished ? :), also when you starting a new one ?

ATH Final round

I think to do something like that, while it should be a surprise, the fans must still feel that the person would be credible in the main event mix. They should think "Wow, that was surprising but he deserves it".

Jeff Hardy would be interesting I think. Granted, he's risky given his past but I think if they were ever gonna shoot Hardy to the top, now would be the time for the following reasons:

- He gets the reaction of a top guy and he seems to have more momentum and popularity now than ever. For example, I remember he made the save for Cena in September at the end of Raw and the place went unglued. They saw and bought him as a top tier guy.

- In the ring, he's pretty dam good anytime I've seen him in comparison to others on Raw. Plus he's always had a style that was unique.

- He's earned it I think. Yep he's had his ups and downs but he's been one of the most consistent performers for quite sometime now.

- Sets up some really cool feuds I think too especially one with Shawn Michaels. I'd love a match between those too. You can play off the age gap, how Hardy looked up to him in ladder matches and wanted to emulate him. But now Hardy wants to surpass his childhood hero by beating him.

Gonna give this my best shot, but my head is fried after a frustrating day in college (anyone else here go to UCD?)

We all know that Flair's time is nearing the end, and the rumours he's gonna retire at 'Mania after being inducted into the HOF. So who better to be given the shot at winning the belt at mania, after all, the concept of the Rumble is that everyone has a shot.

For one, if Ric Flair won the rumble, the reaction from fans would only be positive. I cant see there being any sort of 'who is this guy' or 'they're giving this mid-carder a run???' type reaction. In fact I would imagine the crowd at the rumble would pop like mad, especially if Flair had been an early entrant (which is the way I would like to see it play out) and fought tooth and nail for that spot at mania.

Secondly, and probably most importantly, someone like Ric could build that match at Mania like no one else. With all respect to Jeff Hardy and Cody Rhodes there abilities on the mic are severely limited. Flair though has the ability to cut the type of promos that would really get a crowd behind him and actually believe in the story of someone like flair gettin one last shot. Everyone loves an underdog story. And thats what the Rumble is all about, building towards Mania

Finally, its Ric Flair. That alone is a justification. There are very few people that have done as much for the industry and had such an impact on it as he has. Go back and watch his promos and matches from the '80's. For all the glitz and hype that Hogan was, Flair was, and is, very much the real deal in every aspect of the business.

Wrestlemania is billed as being the grand daddy of em all, the superbowl of wrestling, but for all its hype, there has been many stinkers over the years, and very few actual 'Wrestlemania moments'. Picture this, Flair winning the rumble against all the odds, going on school on Raw leading up to Mania, and then defying logic to win the title at 'Mania, walking out of the ring with all the superstars forming a guard of honor up the rampway applauding, now thats a Mania moment - Woooooo!

On a side note, this has been a very enjoyable little experiment BH, fair play to you for putting it together, and to all those that contributed, t'has been good dueling it out with ya's.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Regarding VR's selection, if the Rumble entries are to be divided 10:10:10 between the brands then Cody probably wouldn't be in there from Raw. Hard to see him getting ahead of Kennedy, HHH, Micheals, Lashley, Hardy, Carlito, Shelton,Cade,Murdoch, London Kendrick or even Bob Holly.

Well we were talking about an UNEXPECTED wrestler. With current WWE booking i would side right with you. But if they were gonna go the unexpected route, Cody would be the one to go for, and he wouldn't even need to win the rumble, if he was second last to be eliminated he'd get over insanely. Sid didn't win the 1992 Royal Rumble, but he certainly got an insane amount of heel heat.

VR!

Does ECW even have ten wrestlers??

thanks to everyone who has taken part. Even though i think the last participants have already gone, I will once again wait till tommorow to post the final results and look for feedback on this Around the horn experiment as people may want to defend/counter arguments further and who knows others may want a go at just one round.It will be about 1pm not 2 tommorow as im doing coaching between 2 and 5pm tommorow.

And thank you. It has been a lot of fun, sadly i can barely skive off anymore time to participate or contribute as work is getting a lot busier these days. But keep these up and try not to get too discouraged when people drop out of rounds. :)

VR!

Jeff Hardy and Cody Rhodes there abilities on the mic are severely limited. .

Jeff Hardy is not Ric Flair on the mic. But he did a promo recently for Cyber Sundayand it completely clicked with the crowd. Now your never gonna give him a 15 minute promo every week but he's acceptable.

And I think he makes up for it in other areas. The bottom line is I think people see him as more of a top tier guy than they have ever have before.

And you can always work around a guy's weakness's. Chris Benoit was not good on the mic but the moment he had at Wrestlemania resonated with alot of people hugely (at that time). My basic point is that you can make it work if you tell the story right.

I love the Flair idea. There's only 1 area where it falls down. It ends at 'Mania (or a couple of months later if you stretch it out). You give a guy like Hardy a go and the 'Mania match should really be just the starting point of a run as being a top tier guy who draws money for the company. For Flair, it's career ender (and an awesome one). For Hardy, it's a career maker.

Thanks for organising it BH. I thought the questions you picked were really interesting which is important for something like this.

Does ECW even have ten wrestlers??

At a stretch. Miz, Morrison, Big Daddy V, Burke, Striker, Thorn, Richards, Boogeyman, Balls Mahoney and Treamer are the first ten that come to mind but 2 would be in the title match so it would be a stretch

ATH Final leader board

1. Vince135792003 (85)
    2. Charlie McMugh (81)
    3. validreasoning! (77)
    4. Bubs101 (69)
    5. Flahavaj (52) 3rds
    6. Gimmick (48) 3rds
    7. Danger Dave (47) 3rds
    8. Mr Nice Guy (16) 1rd
    9. Minto (10) 1rd
    10. Callaway92 (9) 1rd

----
    Congratulations to the innagural ATH:Champion Vince135792003. Wear your imagionary belt with pride
    ----

alright could i get some feedback on a few things such as should there be a ATH2? do any rules need to be tweaked (24hrs to reply, only 1reply each to others arguments ect), the type of questions that should be used, or anything else you would like to suggest.

• Advertisement

3rd place. Not bad considering i didn't ever see the show and didn't know what the hell i was doing. I'm not gonna complain :) I'll take my imaginary olympic bronze medal and shine it up nicely :D

VR!

Fair Play Bounty Hunter. Inspite of my inability to give a decent answer, they were great questions

well training was cancelled so im here again.

dependant on peoples feedback on the format ect and if they want a repeat of this I was thinking of running ATH2 in about a forthnight or so while it is still fresh in peoples mind and would have a better chance of attracting participants. I would imagine quite a few more people might have wanted to compete after viewing this one, or if they had been given more of a heads up and didnt miss the first round perhaps. Otherwise i would only run it every so often when discussion on this board seems particularily low.

Where is the love?!

I think it should be the run maybe at the end of each month.

Congratulations Vince, lucky i wasn't in it from the start :) .... Finally got me posting regularly, id be up for it fortnightly or monthly.

Vince i agree with you on Jeff, his promo against Kennedy before Cyber Sunday was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I didnt get involved in the last 2 rounds, because I've not been watching WWE regularly for about 2 years, so anything I could have contributed would have been only winging it at best. Still thouygh, fair play to Vince for topping the score and nice one to BH for having the patience to read though everythinga nd score it, and also for the idea in the first place.

Every week would be overkill. Once a month would be about right IMO. And maybe take the questions outside solely being WWE to include the indies, TNA, Europe, Japan etc.

Where is the love?!

I think it should be the run maybe at the end of each month.

Good going man, now you know why we extended an invitation to ya for the podcast when we were starting it up. ;)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'd have given it a go but I was too busy to put much effort into it. I don't know how everyone else feels, but 24 hours seems to me to be a little too short to get your own piece up as well as question others and defend yourself

gimmick wrote: »
    I didnt get involved in the last 2 rounds, because I've not been watching WWE regularly for about 2 years, so anything I could have contributed would have been only winging it at best....... maybe take the questions outside solely being WWE to include the indies, TNA, Europe, Japan etc.

probably could have gotten away with winging it as you put it as i kept the questions purposefully simplistic and in doing so avoided the other promotions as it was just a trial run this time and most people would be familiar withe the WWE but would intend on branching out the topics further down the line.

from the feedback so far expect an ATH2 thread about a week after SS, when hopefully their will be new talking points (edge and maybe Jericho's return) and the game to start a few days after and then perhaps most months after.

edit: thats a decent point Fozzy and if there were more participants i would probably make it 2days per round

• Advertisement

probably could have gotten away with winging it as you put it as i kept the questions purposefully simplistic and in doing so avoided the other promotions as it was just a trial run this time and most people would be familiar withe the WWE but would intend on branching out the topics further down the line.

from the feedback so far expect an ATH2 thread about a week after SS, when hopefully their will be new talking points (edge and maybe Jericho's return) and the game to start a few days after and then perhaps most months after.

edit: thats a decent point Fozzy and if there were more participants i would probably make it 2days per round

I think you could branch it out from WWE but you'd still have to make the questions pretty general in order for it to appeal to everyone.

Advertisement