Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is it with Alfas?

Options
  • 02-11-2007 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

I like cars! It took me 1 1/2 years to find my next car i'm so particular on the car i drive (yeah i know it's a bit toooo long!)

Anyways, since i started on boards - motors - a lot of posts have been about Alfa's and how they are the ultimate driving machines (or just favorites)

I can't seem to understand this - can someone please enlighten me in this respect (I only want alfa enthusiasts to reply, i dont want a debate)

Thanks.

Edit: I'm not try to troll just understand alfas (i've never driven one!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Great cars to drive. Unfortunately, they don't have a great track record when it comes to reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

crosstownk wrote: »
    Great cars to drive. Unfortunately, they don't have a great track record when it comes to reliability.

This is just it - People always talk about the drive and so and so...

But what exactly is it? Top Gear (!!!!) all agree that alfas are car owners cars - this i kinda understand.

But just what makes alfas great cars to drive - i'm really intrested (to the point of going to an alfa dealer and trying it for myself)

Keep it coming :) please..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

My Alfa experience started with Alfasuds - an amazing car at the time.

Eventually gave up, build quality and reliability is due south of utter rubbish.
    A mate recently changed to a Civic after a lifetime of Alfas, when they get to the stage that they're changing engines under warranty due to oil consumption its time to move on. Especially in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

I drive an Alfa!!!! :)

Its a 147 1.6 Twin Spark and you have to drive one to find out!!!!! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Triangle wrote: »
    a lot of posts have been about Alfa's and how they are the ultimate driving machines

I think you mixed up the ads there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bloke

I can't seem to understand this - can someone please enlighten me in this respect (I only want alfa enthusiasts to reply, i dont want a debate)
    Guess I can reply as an alfaowner :-)

Some honest thoughts from a little while ago:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54118675&postcount=35

The most noticeable difference in driving experience for me is the quick steering. Not many turns lock-to-lock which enhances the sporty feel and results in my taking a few unitentionally wide turns in other people's cars! Suspension works well (due to the dual wishbone thingys apparently) though it does wear out quite a lot - and the sporty looks have to have some psychological boost to the driving experience ;-)

Whatever it is, I always smile when getting back into the alfa after most other cars and that helps to forgive a lot ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

bloke wrote: »
    Guess I can reply as an alfaowner :-)

Some honest thoughts from a little while ago:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54118675&postcount=35

The most noticeable difference in driving experience for me is the quick steering. Not many turns lock-to-lock which enhances the sporty feel and results in my taking a few unitentionally wide turns in other people's cars! Suspension works well (due to the dual wishbone thingys apparently) though it does wear out quite a lot - and the sporty looks have to have some psychological boost to the driving experience ;-)

Whatever it is, I always smile when getting back into the alfa after most other cars and that helps to forgive a lot ;-)

Could not have said it better myself, I always smile too when getting back into the 147 after driving other cars!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Anyways, since i started on boards - motors - a lot of posts have been about Alfa's and how they are the ultimate driving machines (or just favorites)...

Theres better cars to drive. I think its the character that people like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I lusted after a 147/156 for years. When the time to buy eventually came, I test-drove a 147 but was a little bit disappointed by the light steering - I thought it would have more of a 'meaty' feel as a supposed driver's car. In the end though, the real reason I couldn't commit to an Alfa was because of the terrible reliability rep and poor residuals.

Also, as modern Alfas are FWD and conventionally engineered on FIAT platforms, I don't understand how they could possibly offer anything different or special in terms of driver involvement. Bimmers may be a bit ugly and over-priced but at least they offer something different to their competitors - RWD, good weight distribution. etc.

I bought a Mazda 6 Sports Touring instead - great looks (IMO), great handling and Japanese reliability - a 'thinking man's' Alfa 156/9! There are too many good alternatives these days to make the heartache worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I used to drive a 156, but only the 1.6 litre version. I recently borrowed my dad's 2.0 version because my current car was in the garage. I had forgotten what a joy the Alfa is to drive - as bloke says, only a short turn lock-to-lock, and lovely suspension. Admittedly my current car is no super car in its own right (e46 320d), but I have to say I would find it very hard to pick between the two if fuel consumption wasn't a big factor.

• Advertisement

You can get great handling FWD cars and bad handling RWD cars so I don't get your logic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭THEDONWALDO

had a 02 156 2.0 for a while, nicest car I have ever driven! Pity about the reliability issues though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

pburns wrote: »
    Also, as modern Alfas are FWD and conventionally engineered on FIAT platforms, I don't understand how they could possibly offer anything different or special in terms of driver involvement.

It may be possible to trace the origins of the platform back to the fiat tipo but it would be foolish to dismiss it as a tipo in drag. The chassis has benefited greatly from the addition of
    - quick rack steering
    - double wishbone front suspension
    - multilink rear suspension with unequal length links that give passive rear steering
    These things combined with very eager engines and a nice exhaust note combine to give a very rewarding drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

BostonB wrote: »
    You can get great handling FWD cars and bad handling RWD cars so I don't get your logic there.

I was just saying I really liked driving the Alfa and would find it hard to choose between it and my BMW if I had to start over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Another factor in the appeal of Alfa Romeo is its motorsport heritage. Even if there is not a very close relationship between road cars and racing cars any link at all is great for image. Alfa have capitalised on this with sporty looks, good engines and handling in most of its cars which reinforces the link/image.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Was looking at a 156 second hand as a purchase. Are the reliability issues really as bad as people say?! Then again the pricing may seem to suggest that.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Another factor in the appeal of Alfa Romeo is its motorsport heritage. Even if there is not a very close relationship between road cars and racing cars any link at all is great for image. Alfa have capitalised on this with sporty looks, good engines and handling in most of its cars which reinforces the link/image.

I think thats as important as anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

alias no.9 wrote: »
    - multilink rear suspension with unequal length links
    What type of rear suspension?

I always took "multi-link rear suspension" to mean "we cheaped out a bit and didn't do the double wishbones at the back"

thanks for all the replies - it seems to me to be a bit of a personal issue..

When i first asked this question - it was more of a passing question i always wanted a definate answer on. I should have realised it din't exist!
    Now it's taken a life of it's own - now I have a NEED to test drive one.
    For better or for worse - I'm just going to have to do it!

Thanks again all.
    Trig

Double Post - Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I've owned two 156s and clocked up over 100,000 miles on them without having to replace anything other than consumables.
    My current 2.0TS is a gem and has a lovely balance of power and handling. The Italian styling inside & out, the subtly-growling exhaust note and the effortless way it flicks through tight bends or roundabouts puts a smile on my face every day.
    Its not as powerful as an M5, or as mental as an EVO, or as luxurious as a Bently; but I've no aspiration to own any of those cars. The first time I saw a 156 on TV I knew I'd get one one day.
    I still look back at it when I get out, even after sitting in the M50 traffic, because to my mind its the most beautiful mass-produced saloon of the last 30-odd years.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I actually prefer the 156 styling to the newer 159, especially in Ti form.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote: »
    I actually prefer the 156 styling to the newer 159, especially in Ti form.

What's that then? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I recently bought a 00 156 1.8. I love it. Everyone said don't buy one, but I went ahead with it. Great looking car, a joy to drive and engine is superb. Economical, with plenty of power for passing out when needed. Great sound off it. It does use a little bit of oil, more so then my previous astra. In this case, the 156 needs to be checked under the bonnet EVERY week. This is why some owners, not used to keeping an eye on such things, may have found reliability issues. They are not a corolla, they need attention. They are like an italian girlfriend, need plenty of attention but the rewards are massive! Compare the 156 to similar saloons, it has a certain style about it that I absolutely love, I smile every time I drive it.

astraboy wrote: »
    ...It does use a little bit of oil, more so then my previous astra. In this case, the 156 needs to be checked under the bonnet EVERY week. This is why some owners, not used to keeping an eye on such things, may have found reliability issues. ...

So its the owners fault. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Alfas are gorgeous cars, looks and performance-wise. They can be a handful, don't think italian girlfriend, think italian mobster with a hatchet!

If you get lucky, you can get years out of an Alfa, but more often than not, you'll lose a lot of money with the engines!

Would you consider perhaps a more reliable car with better handling/performance? I would see the older Hondas as being excellent for this?

Try driving a legend coupe and then tell me it's not fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What's that then? :confused:

Ti stands for Turismo Internazionale. It is basically a special edition trim level including sports suspension, subtle body kit, larger alloy wheels and leather sports interior:

motopoint156gol376.jpg

motopoint156gol374.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

JHMEG wrote: »
    What type of rear suspension?

[nerd] There's two transverse arms at each side on the rear, one connecting to the front of the hub carrier and the other connecting to the rear of the hub carrier. The front one is longer than the rear. As the car rolls going around and the body pushes down on the suspension of the outside rear wheel, the the hub carrier is pushed further outwards at the front by the long arm than at the rear by the short arm. This has the effect of steering the rear wheels and making it go around corners better.[/nerd]
    JHMEG wrote:
    I always took "multi-link rear suspension" to mean "we cheaped out a bit and didn't do the double wishbones at the back"

Possibly, but everything is down to cost/benefit at the end of the day, I guess they felt that passive rear steering benefited handling more than double wishbone, not that the two couldn't have been combined by adding a top link.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Possibly, but everything is down to cost/benefit at the end of the day, I guess they felt that passive rear steering benefited handling more than double wishbone, not that the two couldn't have been combined by adding a top link.

true, and to continue the nerd train........if you stretch the analogy of multi=cheap, then logically we should all drive live axle rear drive cars with leaf springs, or the old Audi single tube torsion back axle.....

Well, that's obviously not going to happen ........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

BostonB wrote: »
    So its the owners fault. :D

Some of the issues are, yes. Irish people(massive generalization here) tend not to look after their cars as well as people in other European countries or the US. Cars are viewed as tools, nothing more. To own an alfa you do really need to be enthusiastic about looking after it, and spending a bit on it to get it serviced right. I'm not for a moment denying a 156 is not as reliable in general as a corolla, but I know which one I'd rather own and I've put my money where my mouth is!:)

Advertisement