Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is it with Alfas?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

astraboy wrote: »
    Some of the issues are, yes. Irish people(massive generalization here) tend not to look after their cars as well as people in other European countries or the US. Cars are viewed as tools, nothing more. To own an alfa you do really need to be enthusiastic about looking after it, and spending a bit on it to get it serviced right. I'm not for a moment denying a 156 is not as reliable in general as a corolla, but I know which one I'd rather own and I've put my money where my mouth is!:)

Therefore that would mean in other countries that Alfa's would be far more reliable than they are in Ireland?

http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/A/alfaromeo/15603-/15603--relqual.html?noforward=tr
    http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/A/alfaromeo/15603-/15603--relqual.html?noforward=true

So if there was a Irish survey it would be worse?

Fiats and Alfa's maybe better than they were, but they still aren't quite there in terms of build quality and reliability. Nice cars but you need to know what your getting into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Alfa's are a special thing. Those that know know, thase that dont want to!

Try one, make up your own mind. The people that complain about reliability state that if an alfa costs 300 to maintain a year and a ford costs 50 to maintain a year than alfas are not as reliable....

This is nuts, the fact of the matter is you are not buying a mondeo, you are buying a baby ferarri, and you need to take more care of it. If thats too expensive, fine, but it is not less reliable just because the owner loves teh engine roar but has never checked his oil in 8 months :rolleyes:

Btw, im not biased... but i do own a 146 and GTV ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

deegs wrote: »
    you are buying a baby ferarri, :rolleyes:

Is it this time of the month already......... your buying a FIAT actually;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

TROLL.....................:rolleyes:

astraboy wrote: »
    In this case, the 156 needs to be checked under the bonnet EVERY week.
    a bit overkill every week if you ask me....

I check every 2-3 months and it just needs half a litre topping up....going on 90,000mls and nearly 8yrs old on my 156
    bazz26 wrote: »
    I actually prefer the 156 styling to the newer 159, especially in Ti form.

don't like those Ti wheels.....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lex Luthor wrote: »

I check every 2-3 months and it just needs half a litre topping up....going on 90,000mls and nearly 8yrs old on my 156

Didn't realise you had a 156! which model is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Triangle wrote: »
    (i've never driven one!!)

That's your problem, right there.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The people that complain about reliability state that if an alfa costs 300 to maintain a year and a ford costs 50 to maintain a year than alfas are not as reliable....
    It's not as simple as that, and neither is that a good comparison. Some cars just cost lots more for regular things like oil changes than others, usually, but not always related to the badge.

There is no doubt they are very nicely styled (tho the interior is not good quality in terms of fit and finish), nice engines and nice to drive, but some of the problems affecting Alfas should just not happen in this day and age. For example the bulbs in the brake light strip on the back window actually melt the strip. Now that's one I know about and have seen first hand, as well as the sellafield gearbox shutting down going around roundabouts, 3rd gear decides to go missing from time to time, and while the roundabouts thing was cured by a software upgrade, 3rd gear still has a mind of its own, as well as the gearbox deciding to shut down in stop-start traffic.

If they had got the basics right they would be truly fantastic cars.

JHMEG wrote: »

They are! Ive had 2 alfa's for over 7 years and never has one left me down, and ive never had to anything besides sparks, oil, brakes and belts.

Ive had plenty of seats, BMW's and seen my friends/familys have many other probs. but they dont look after a car as good as i do!

Chalk and cheese in my book, i dont think the alfa will inheriently break down, but i think if the owner doesnt take care they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

like deegs said, its an emotional thing...

The ones that have one will defend it based on their experience - the ones that don't have one (never driven one) will run it down based on hear say and statistics.

Yes they have some quirks - but if you get a Jap lemon - what good is any statistic?

For a lot of people driving a car they love is more important than driving a car that is economicly sensible, but they don't quite like the way it looks and drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Speaking of Alfa's hows the the 159 fairing from a depreciation point of view ? Not really enough on the online car sites to get a feel for second hand prices. Due to change my car soon and after having a 156 a few years back I'd love to go back to an Alfa. But need to look at the bigger picture including how much one can expect to get for it further down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

For a lot of people driving a car they love is more important than driving a car that is economicly sensible, but they don't quite like the way it looks and drives.

thank you! :D I've driven Passats, Avensis's, Corollas, Golfs etc and to be honest I never got any enjoyment out of any of them, they were just a tool or appliance to get too and from work, the Alfa feels different, it never ever fails to put a smile on my face, even from just looking at it.
    I've had 3 156's now, none of them have ever let me down, but then i just love looking after my cars, its not unusual to spend the weekend "fixing" something that doesn't need fixing (usually to get out of a shopping trip ;)). my current one is for sale as I'm getting my 4th Alfa in the new year, a 147 GTA.
    junkyard wrote: »
    buying a FIAT actually;)

tell that to Lancia, Maserati and Ferrari owners

I don't get this anti Fiat crap, I also have a 01 Bravo which has never missed a beat, I'll hopefully be getting my hands on a 500 Arbarth when they become available

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

A 147 gta!!! 260 tru the front wheels . i gotta give it 2 ya ive neva even seen 1 of them in this country. Probably a bit dodgy in the wet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

pburns wrote: »

Also, as modern Alfas are FWD and conventionally engineered on FIAT platforms, I don't understand how they could possibly offer anything different or special in terms of driver involvement.

On a related note, Alfa are switching to RWD it seems:
    http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/default.asp?storyId=17075

JHMEG wrote: »
    It's not as simple as that, and neither is that a good comparison. Some cars just cost lots more for regular things like oil changes than others, usually, but not always related to the badge.

There is no doubt they are very nicely styled (tho the interior is not good quality in terms of fit and finish), nice engines and nice to drive, but some of the problems affecting Alfas should just not happen in this day and age. For example the bulbs in the brake light strip on the back window actually melt the strip. Now that's one I know about and have seen first hand, as well as the sellafield gearbox shutting down going around roundabouts, 3rd gear decides to go missing from time to time, and while the roundabouts thing was cured by a software upgrade, 3rd gear still has a mind of its own, as well as the gearbox deciding to shut down in stop-start traffic.

ROFL !! Sellafield gearbox ! Ha !

So, by your logic, if we fix the brake light thingy, all we have to do is buy a manual one and it's perfect.!:D

Thank god that's that cleared up then ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Didn't realise you had a 156! which model is it?

It's a 1.8 TS with the Sport Pack 3 in proteo red.
    http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/aogallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/5377/cat/500

zing wrote: »
    But need to look at the bigger picture including how much one can expect to get for it further down the road.

If you are thinking that way already, then you shouldn't be considering to buy another Alfa. You have to take the rough with the smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

What do people think of the 147?

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    If you are thinking that way already, then you shouldn't be considering to buy another Alfa. You have to take the rough with the smooth

I accept the rough comes with the smooth with an Alfa - wouldn't be considering another one otherwise. There's a bit of a head Vs heart struggle going on - heart really really wants a 159 - head just needs a bit more convincing.

Will most likely do a trip to the UK for one if the heart wins out. Revenue site only seems to know about 1 petrol version though so will need to get in touch with them to get a proper VRT quote. I know the diesel engines are said to be very good but am driving a diesel atm and don't want another.

Will be into the new year before I change anyway so it certainly won't be an impulse buy.

All it should take are a couple of good cars from Alfa to start clawing them out of the depreciation rut they've been stuck in - could the likes of the 159 & Brera be a step in the right direction ...

Nice 156 btw

I accept the rough comes with the smooth with an Alfa - wouldn't be considering another one otherwise. There's a bit of a head Vs heart struggle going on - heart really really wants a 159 - head just needs a bit more convincing.

Will most likely do a trip to the UK for one if the heart wins out. Revenue site only seems to know about 1 petrol version though so will need to get in touch with them to get a proper VRT quote. I know the diesel engines are said to be very good but am driving a diesel atm and don't want another.

Will be into the new year before I change anyway so it certainly won't be an impulse buy.

All it should take are a couple of good cars from Alfa to start clawing them out of the depreciation rut they've been stuck in - could the likes of the 159 & Brera be a step in the right direction ...

Nice 156 btw

I didn't get a chance to test drive teh 159 yet, but I had a good look around it and was not overwhelmed by the interior. Build quality looks to have stepped up a bit on the 156, but its a bit German inside if you ask me.

I sort of crossed the 159 off my wish list after that day. However I had a good look inside the GT and its now top of my list if I can get the finances sorted out next year. The Brera although lovely it is, is a bit impractical and too much over budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

galwaytt wrote: »
    So, by your logic, if we fix the brake light thingy, all we have to do is buy a manual one and it's perfect.!:D

My brake lights don't melt so that means my car is perfect; wow, thanks!

What do people think of the 147?

not a fan of the facelifted one but like the original one.

I like the 145 a lot more though especially the Cloverleaf ones

The new Bravo looks good also

• Advertisement

Facelifted 147 is an abomination! Looks so wimpish after the original.
    Agreed on the 145; lovely looker, much more so than the 146.

cjt156 wrote: »

??????? :confused:

146 is sooooooooooo much nicer than either?

the 146 was not one Alfas finest efforts....

if they brought out the 145 again, I'd seriously consider one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

By my logic fix the stupid problems, buy a manual, and all should be ok;)

I know the diesel engines are said to be very good but am driving a diesel atm and don't want another.

you mean you're driving a Diesel Alfa at the moment? or is it some other diesel? Reason I ask is that I took a 1.9 Diesel GT out for a spin and I'm well impressed. Pulled even better than my TT. And at 40mpg+, what's not to like?

If you haven't take out a diesel Alfa - or Fiat - 1.9 Diesel - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.....

Ode To The Motorist

you mean you're driving a Diesel Alfa at the moment? or is it some other diesel? Reason I ask is that I took a 1.9 Diesel GT out for a spin and I'm well impressed. Pulled even better than my TT. And at 40mpg+, what's not to like?

If you haven't take out a diesel Alfa - or Fiat - 1.9 Diesel - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.....

Non alfa diesel. I guess I should try the Alfa diesel rather than discounting it without giving it a chance.

cjt156 wrote: »

Who's doing what to whom now?

Lovely
    Alfa_145_Quadrifoglio.jpg

Not lovely

Alfa_146_front_20071012.jpg

Nice

Alfa_Romeo_147_GTA.jpg

Not nice

Alfa_Romeo_147_front_20071007.jpg

oh plz your photos are so biased... jez look at the allows on the 146 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

;)

Advertisement