Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Visual express help

Options
  • 02-11-2007 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

just started c++ in college as part of engineering.
    we've done a few simple programs on the macs in college.
    ive downloaded visual express 05. (i have vista business)

now to my problem, all we've done is write basic .cpp text files and compiled them.

i havent a clue how to run simple .cpp programs. all i can find is stuff about projects etc.

im probably missing something quite simple... but any advice on what to do would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

A "project" is just a hierarchy of folders and a file saving information about where things are stored, preferences and other stuff. You can either use the Visual Studio SDK command line to run the files, click the green "play" button to run your apps, or browse to the "debug" folder (which is probably the default compilation option you have selected) and run the .exe

If you want to start and run your app. Start -> New -> Project -> Console App should get you started. The folder hierarchy on the right should have your files, right click -> add -> resource -> cpp file to add more files. It should be a breeze once you get used to it.

Advertisement