Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good restaurant on Northside

Options
  • 03-11-2007 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

have a family occasion coming up

looking for somewhere decent on the northside to eat on a saturday for adults

budget not really a problem. good food more important.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

have a family occasion coming up

looking for somewhere decent on the northside to eat on a saturday for adults

budget not really a problem. good food more important.

thanks in advance

Whats the occassion?

What kind of food, and how big is the group?.

If Chinese is your thing I can't recommend 'The Plaza' Chinese in Swords highly enough.

It caters specailly for large groups, you'll be served an orgy of food, very cheap. On the weekends there's a Karaoke after 11pm (I hate Karaoke but its great craic in this place). And best of all, you won't be shown the door too early [ie, lock in's are a regular thing :) ]

Other than that there's Oscar Taylors out in Malahide who also cater for large groups, first class food and draught beers served from the bar :)

If the city center is your thing I'd recommend Gary Rhondes D7 on Caple St. Although its gotten mixed reviews since its opening I haven't been able to fault it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Chapter One http://www.chapteronerestaurant.com/ is outstanding, or if you like Pakistani food, there is always the fabulous Kinara on the coast road in Clontarf.
    http://www.kinara.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Head out to Tyrrelstown to the Aurora. Its a Japanese/Chinese. There is a Teppanyaki room downstairs which you can book for no charge. Everyone sits around the grill and watches their food cooked. Or you can order some excellent sushi. If someone does not want Japanese they can order from the Chinese menu upstairs.
    http://www.dublintourist.com/details/aurora.shtml

Oh and they have Karaoke in the teppanyaki room if you have enough sake or wine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭curiousxxx1

Mairt wrote: »
    Whats the occassion?
    If the city center is your thing I'd recommend Gary Rhondes D7 on Caple St. Although its gotten mixed reviews since its opening I haven't been able to fault it.

-1, the food there was a disgrace, been there twice the second time to give it a another chance and it was still a disgrace...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

-1, the food there was a disgrace, been there twice the second time to give it a another chance and it was still a disgrace...

Agreed,the food is muck and the prices are ridiculous,any fool can cook his mediocre fare.The place wont last pissing time and good riddance.

• Advertisement

There ya go, mixed review's. I liked the food, and thought it reasonably priced. Other's will disagree.

I like burger king, other's like McDonalds.

Have to agree with Degsy, I don't think it will last either. But thats mainly down to its location moreso than the service.

If D7 was in D4 I think it would get more favourable reviews.

Capterone is another one as someone else posted. And its recently got a Michelin star (the first one for Dublin's northside).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If you like Chinese, I'd recommend Silks in Malahide - they've the ability to cater for large groups as well.
    If you're into fish then the King Sitric in Howth is recommended.

ixoy wrote: »
    If you like Chinese, I'd recommend Silks in Malahide - they've the ability to cater for large groups as well.
    If you're into fish then the King Sitric in Howth is recommended.

Both very expensive, but both excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

oh, just 4 of us for the dinner...

not too gone on the international cuisine!

keep the suggestions coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Not in my experience tbh.

Went there for my sister's birthday recently.

My mother & father.

Me and my gf.

My bro and his gf.

My sis and her bf.

Eight of us.

It took them at least 45 minutes between ordering and getting starters, and 45 minutes between the other courses.

Their excuse?

Too many people.

Amateurs imo.

Got free deserts though :rolleyes:

Totally ruined our night. Table was booked for 7.30 and we didn't leave til well after 11.30

I'd second Oscar Taylor's actually, very nice food, and they have a sister restaurant in Blanch called Tournedos Bistro which is also nice. Both these places have very "traditional" menus, none of the foreign muck :)

The restaurant in Clontarf Castle is nice, but the menu isn't very varied, and is a bit more expensive than other places.

Also in Clontarf is Les Amis, for a more informal, café style eatery. Lovely food, kind of Italian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Alsatian_Cousin

Il Corvo in Drumcondra is a great Italian restaurant, a bit pricey though.
    If italian food isn't your thing I'd go for Oscar Taylors

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

not too gone on the international cuisine!

:eek:

You know that removes every restaurant suggested right?
    You will be hard pressed to find an Irish restaurant without resorting to pub/carvery quality.
    If you are a meat and potatoes guy then jut go to TGI Fridays or one of those steakhouse type places.
    Anywhere in Howth would be a good idea... unless you do not like seafood.

Saruman wrote: »

Anywhere except upstairs in 'The Bloodystream'.

Absolutely dire.

The OP can not lose by paying a visit to Oscar Taylors in Malahide. I eat there all the time.

'Blair' the gay head waiter is hilarious, brilliant at his job and keeps his staff on the ball at all times.

All their beef is hung for 3 weeks and is to die for :p (<<< thats a yum-yum)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

101 Talbot is great (well any time I've been there). Reasonably priced and not international.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

The Bilash Tandori is a really nice indian in Clontarf - been there loads of times - lovely food.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd recommend Silks in Malahide - they've the ability to cater for large groups as well
    I've yet to hear anyone with anything positive to say about that restaurant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Saruman wrote: »

Aqua and Ella are the best restaurants in Howth at the moment in my opinion. They cater to non seafoody tastes too. Have a look on menupages.ie for the menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

On the Gary Rhodes one, I went once and it was really really good, went again and it was crap!

Some great advice here. I would go with Kinara, Aqua, Deep (Howth), The Oarsman (Howth), Chapter one (very exclusive), One and One (Parnell st.).

If there is a gang of kids going, Milano's on the North Wall Quays is great.

While we are Northside, does anyone know about a restaurant opening in Raheny where the old DIY shop was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

cruzzo's in malahide (my favourite by a country mile)
    roganstown golf club (la-di-da)
    aqau, howth (very expensive)
    independent pizza drumcondra (cheap and cheerful)
    kealys, old airport road (mean steaks)
    porterhouse phibsboro (good pub grub)
    trentuno's castleknock (great italian)
    silks malahide (great chinese)

Advertisement