Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making a fast decision on an iphone

• 03-11-2007 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

First off, Im sorry for starting a new iphone thread, its just that Im finding it hard to make a snap decision on whether to get one.

A friend is going to the States next week and Im considering asking her to get one for me and bring it home.

My question is this.. Have we now got to the stage where without any major hassle, this can be unlocked and used in Ireland?

Is the general consensus that I should keep my money, or is it now doable to get and use one here? Are people who managed to get one in the States and bring it home happy with it?

Again sorry for the new thread but I need some concise opinions before Monday when she leaves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Why can't you just read the sticky?

My general opinion - the iphone is an overrated pile of ****e. Don't buy it. You could have any amount of problems in the future too if you unlock it, nothings certain.

Hope that helps ... now go back to the sticky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

ciaranfo wrote: »
    Why can't you just read the sticky?

My general opinion - the iphone is an overrated pile of ****e. Don't buy it. You could have any amount of problems in the future too if you unlock it, nothings certain.

Hope that helps ... now go back to the sticky!

Thanks.. Im working my way through the 800+ posts in the sticky. Many of the posts there are very old and many are specific to different unlocking software. Im after a few quick opinions. The opinion you gave me is the kind of info I need before making a call on it tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i also think the iphone is an overrated piece of crap. i don't understand the appeal at all unless you count fanboyism and snazziness

personally i find it much snazzier to have 700 euro in my pocket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Ok, thanks a lot. Decision made!

I'll keep my money in my pocket :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

700e?

It's a lot closer to 400$. That's 275e at current exchange rates. I'm going to NY tomorrow and I'm definitely considering it at that price. Plus the sale of my iPod Touch will cover that if I do want it. I have put all the iPhone apps on my touch and they're great. Since I have a Mac, all my stuff (mail, address book, calender) are synced effortlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

Yeah, the actual phone costs $400 but the two year contract you have to sign with AT&T will cost you a hell of a lot more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Yeah, the actual phone costs $400 but the two year contract you have to sign with AT&T will cost you a hell of a lot more!

Buy it for $399 in an Applestore, bring it home and have it unlocked in 10-15 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Its a crap product IMO. V2 will be better but still locked to the piece of crap software that is iTunes.

I just want to use Windows Explorer to manage files on my device as it doesn't add DRM to them.

Most people that buy the iPhone are me too personalities that only want one because the media told them to and because there friends are going on about it and they want to show it off to them and feel special for being one of the first to own an iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Not really. That's just your opinion. In my experience, using the iPod Touch hacked as a base, the iPhone is one of the most intuative pieces of hardware to come out in years. Yes, the lack of 3G was an oversight, but whoop dee doo. I find the Touch excellent for what I want the iPhone to be: Calender, Contacts, Music, Internet and all easily synced with my Mac.

It does all that and at 275e (in Apple, and as has already been said, it's a piece of piss to unlock), it's cheaper than most PDA equivilents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I have an iphone from the states and i'm not sure I could recommend it at any price higher than 300euro but because it only cost me around 280euro i think i could. For an unlocked phone that's an excellent price, and for a phone with the best UI, wifi implementation, media player of any phone produced to date and all in one package i'd say it's a pretty good deal. However it's very risky if it breaks as you won't have a warranty, in america make sure it works before you go back to ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement