Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I install Vista 64bit, and XP or Vista 32 bit at the same time?

• 03-11-2007 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I know some people have their PC set up so that you can boot MAC OS and Windows on start up.

Basically I've forked out 2k for a new keyboard, and silly me I didnt bother checking if it was 64bit vista compatible.

It will work fine with Vista, or XP, but not Vsta 64bit. So is it possible to install both XP and Vista so that when i want to do recording I can boot up XP and play away, and then later boot up Vista for other things?

I have 4 gigs of ram so that was why I went for the original 64bit version of Vista in the first place

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 raydenvm

Of course, you can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

raydenvm wrote: »
    Of course, you can!

cool...any links to where theres info on how to do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

2k for a keyboard? What keyboard? And not having a 64bit driver usually means they haven't WHQL'd any drivers, which is pretty bad form (for a 2k keyboard at least.. :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

astrofool wrote: »
    2k for a keyboard? What keyboard?

Quite easy to spend that amount on a keyboard these days, if not more. For example is this one...

http://www.thomann.de/ie/yamaha_tyros_2_set_super_edition.htm

ProTools doesn't have any Vista drivers released as of yet so XP is necessary.

yea this keyboard:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/access_virus_ti_keyboard.htm

Yea well they said the Vista drivers are in beta at the moment, so only 32bit Vista is supported so far. I wanna use it now tho, so wanna get XP and Vista installed...

Anyone have any links as to where theres info on how to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

AH, was not thinking in terms of musical keyboard, but PC keyboard :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

astrofool wrote: »
    AH, was not thinking in terms of musical keyboard, but PC keyboard :)

Ya, me too... I was like 2K for a keyboard?!?

dulpit wrote: »
    Ya, me too... I was like 2K for a keyboard?!?

haha...jaysus...who in their right mind would spend 2k on a PC keyboard? lol u cud get a PC for that !

i've googled how to install two operating systems anyway - seems like a lot of fun....ugh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I hate to say me too. Has anybody got a dual boot of Mac Os and Windows Xp. If they have how did you do it (guide?).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just a reminder folks, you would need a heap of licenses to dual / treble boot. The Business licenses generally allow you to down grade to a previous version of windows, but IIRC they don't allow you to have both versions on a system at the same time so to dual boot you would need both licenses.

Lots of stuff doesn't have drivers for VISTA 64 bit but they will appear over time.

Run windows on your mac
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

alan4cult wrote: »
    I hate to say me too. Has anybody got a dual boot of Mac Os and Windows Xp. If they have how did you do it (guide?).
    To Run Mac OS, you need a Mac. You can now install Windows along with XP using Apple's Bootcamp software. It's one of the main features in Leopard.

// EDIT: ooh, Capt'n Midnight get there first (cries ...)

Sorry Capt'n Midnight and ethernet, I meant how do you run Mac OS on a Windows Computer?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"IBM PC's" are not windows computers. At lease not until these guys force upon us, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Computing_Platform_Alliance then it would be technically possible to make a computer that would only run windows. /pedant

It's possible to emulate older Mac OS on a PC, but you legally need an apple mac to get the BIOS from because of the system calls made by the software to the computer. And since apple want to keep selling hardware they haven't allowed their OS to run on non apple hardware.

Don't ask here again please as it has nothing to do with windows and may involve hacking / breaking the apple license - look but don't ask on the Mac forum as their charter says
    -No Warez, Hackz, Appz or Crackz (advice/sourcing or discussion)
    Mac forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=108

Didn't mean too sorry. I didn't think it was possible but I was just curious when the OP mentioned it.

Yup I have two licenses - one for XP and one for Vista64bit. I'v seen on a few sites that you need to partition your hard drive, and do some stuff in the BIOS. I'm really not that good with computers tho unfortunately. I need to find a step by step guide somewhere....:D

If you have a 64bit Vista license you could install 32bit Vista, this will be able to use about 3.5 GB of your RAM.

I don't know if you can easily / safely / painlessly upgrade from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit vista otherwise it would be a no-brainer to just have Vista32 until the other driver comes out. One of the painfull thing about dual boot is that after Windows 3.X you have had to install all applications again in each version of windows.

Microsoft OS's have an un-endearing habit of trashing the boot up of any OS they don't recognise. SO with microsoft OS's you put the oldest one on first, then the newer ones, then any non-microsoft OS. There are ways of fixing the boot afterwards but if it's a clean machine then better off going for a clean install.

XP depending on the CD may / may no need drivers for the Hard Drive to install.
    Which motherboards / does it say which service pack is on the XP CD ?

Another note on licensing. If you have an OEM license for XP then you can't install on another PC. If you have an OEM XP CD with a brand of computer on it, then it won't install on any other brand of PC since it checks for a special key in the BIOS on the motherboard.

Advertisement