Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Paint Job

Options
  • 03-11-2007 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a bike frame that I'd like to get repainted. There are plenty of articles online about doing a home respray but my memory of respray jobs from when I was a kid was that they always looked like they'd been done at home. Has anyone managed a home respray that looked decent and if so what is your secret? Alternatively does anyone know of a good paint shop in Dublin that would do the job and how much I'd be looking at roughly?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

friends have gotten them done in garages before, about 80 bucks for frame and fork. simple spray jobs. best bet is to find out where stuff gets powder coated and see if you can get your frame put through with everything else (could be painting girders or anything...)
    Powder coating is tough as old boots, wont chip and scrape off. Persoanlly I think home spray jobs make more economical sense. If a frame costs €1000 for exampe, I cant see the sense in spening nearly 10% on getting it painted properly...ghetto spray job all the way!
    I nitromorsed my last frame and it looked kick a$$ for a while, but with this years wet sumer it wasn't long before it started look a bit rusty. Nitromorse is messy and burns the hell out of your skin if there is any contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I sprayed a bike years ago, and i was really disappointed with it to be honest - despite plenty of priming, and lacquering afterwards, it was always very soft, and chipped and scratched extremely easily. I think the only way to get it right is to have it baked afterwards. Powdercoating is probably the ultimate though I reckon. There's plenty of places listed in the golden pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Although its not advertised as such, i'm told these guys can do a good powdercoat spray job on a steel bike frame. You'd have to prepare the frame yourself though.

www.qualitypowdercoating.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I used those guys a few months ago and was happy with the results. They don't have a huge range of colours (probably because most of their work seems to be industrial fences, railings etc.) but they might be able to order another colour in for you if they don't have one you like. I found a nice chocolate brown anyway.

As for prepping the frame, you'll need to remove as much oil/grease as you can and tape up any parts you don't want to get painted. (Pay particular attention to parts of the frame that have threads). I had already sanded my frame but the guy at Quality Powdercoating told me I didn't need to as they sandblast it before applying the paint anyway.

Turnaround was about two days and the cost was 140 brick.
    Itsfixed wrote: »
    Although its not advertised as such, i'm told these guys can do a good powdercoat spray job on a steel bike frame. You'd have to prepare the frame yourself though.

www.qualitypowdercoating.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

I used those guys a few months ago and was happy with the results. They don't have a huge range of colours (probably because most of their work seems to be industrial fences, railings etc.) but they might be able to order another colour in for you if they don't have one you like. I found a nice chocolate brown anyway.

As for prepping the frame, you'll need to remove as much oil/grease as you can and tape up any parts you don't want to get painted. (Pay particular attention to parts of the frame that have threads). I had already sanded my frame but the guy at Quality Powdercoating told me I didn't need to as they sandblast it before applying the paint anyway.

Turnaround was about two days and the cost was 140 brick.

I remember your posting about this, but at that time you said the quoted cost was about €60 (or 80)? Am I mistaken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

i got a quote of 80 for a bike frame, 2-3 day turnaround from them just this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Yeah, that sounds right actually. Reckon it was 80.
    Itsfixed wrote: »
    I remember your posting about this, but at that time you said the quoted cost was about €60 (or 80)? Am I mistaken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

Thanks for that. I'll get in touch with the powder coating guys and see if I can find the colour I'm after.

Advertisement