Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad news! WGA Strike to go ahead from Monday..

• 03-11-2007 2:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭

Well... i said it on the 'Heroes' forum and i'll say it here - BALLS!
    The Board of Directors of the Writers Guild of America, West (WGAW) and the Council of the Writers Guild of America, East (WGAE), acting upon the authority granted them by their memberships, have voted unanimously to call a strike, effective 12:01 AM, Monday, November 5.

The decision was made following over three months of negotiations between the WGA and the AMPTP. To date, the studios have not responded to a single one of the WGA's important proposals, including Internet reuse, original writing for new media, DVDs, and jurisdiction.

On October 18, WGAW and WGAE members voted by an overwhelming majority of 90.3% to authorize a strike if a fair deal was not reached by the October 31 contract expiration date.
    Full source here

How will this affect the television we ingest week after week? Well, most of our favourite shows seasons will either be ending early or taking a long break. Rumour is the second season of 'Heroes' may end on December 5th!

So, let's pray for an agreement in the 11th Hour!

Oh.. and thanks to Dave (Mr E) for the heads up on this over at the Heroes forum.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No probs.

So Heroes Season 2 is neutered to 10 episodes. What other shows will be affected? Could be a death knell for struggling shows like Prison Break....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mr E wrote: »
    No probs.

So Heroes Season 2 is neutered to 10 episodes. What other shows will be affected? Could be a death knell for struggling shows like Prison Break....
    Yeah, and maybe with Heroes cut down to 10 episodes.. we can finally get some action in the last few. 'Prison Break' could do with some pace too this season though.

I think I read somewhere that Bryan Fuller has 'Pushing Daisies' scripts covered til episode 14 or 15 and that the show's season will continue as normal.

And i'd say 'Dexter' will be unaffected also. I think any shows due to end before the Christmas break will be unaffected as i'd assume they'd be pretty much all scripted already.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I imagine we're going to start seeing lists of shows that have scripts and get ideas of how far they're gone. AFAIK, cable shows are generally fully scripted before the seasons begin so we're safe on the front of 'Dexter' or 'The Wire'.

Other shows that are still filming - Heroes, House, Prison Break, etc. - won't have all the scripts in so they're going to finish up abruptly and go on long hiatuses.

What's worse is the fate for new shows: if their ratings were dropping in any way and not that stellar, a studio mightn't be bothered returning to them if the strike is prolonged.

Thing is, as it stands I think the WGA have some valid points but it's a terrible shame that it's come to this because, as a long time reality TV-hater, the thought of that junk filling up the airwaves to stem up the lack of quality drama makes me want to vomit.

Echo your sentiment exactly ixoy.. it's really a terrible time for any creator of a Television show whose absence of their writing staff might mean a end to their show entirely.

While it's not entirely a fickle reason.. the writers need to remember not just their jobs are on the line but the cast and crew of all these shows, especially when companies like Fox "get their jollies" from axing quality television without remorse and throwing on another piece of reality TV tripe "Dancing With The Stars" / "Bowling With Midgets" / "Polo With Alligators" etc.

Oh.. and i was wrong about Bryan Fuller and 'Pushing Daisies'. Just found this in an article (which is on a questionable site i can't link to due to copyrighted content, but it quotes it's original source as Variety.com):
    On "Pushing Daisies," for example, exec producer Bryan Fuller said he was racing to finish the show's ninth episode, which winds down a major character arc that threads through episodes seven and eight as well. "There's such a scramble to get as much work as possible done," Fuller said.
    Good to see he's working to give his show a chance in the strike. If anyone deserves a break, it's Bryan Fuller whose 'Pushing Daisies' has surpassed all expectations and is just "televisual crack-cocaine"! *

* Copyrighted.. as i'm gonna try and use that phrase more often!

Thefutoncritic has posted up a pretty damn good article on the whole thing here:
    Welcome to "Ask the Futon," a new, semi-regular feature in which we tackle our most frequently asked questions. Think of it as a follow-up to our "10 Things You Need to Know About the New Season" feature, where we can address the hot button items of the week.

TODAY'S QUESTION: What's the deal with the WGA strike?

1. Okay, what's basically going on?

The Minimum Basic Agreement (MBA) between the Writers Guild of America (WGA) and Alliance of Motion Picture & Television Producers (AMPTP) expired today, Thursday, November 1. This contract sets the minimum standards for everything from compensation to arbitration between "the writers" (the WGA) and "the studios" (the AMPTP). The previous version was signed three years ago (click here to read it).

2. What's preventing a new MBA from being signed?

Both the WGA and AMPTP have submitted MBA proposals to each other (click here to read the AMPTP's, click here to read the WGA's) however obviously a consensus has yet to be reached.

Each proposal highlights their group's inherent philosophy. For the writers, it's that they aren't being compensated sufficiently for the work they're currently doing. For the studios, it's that they can't afford to pay any more than they already do.

3. So what are the specific points of contention?

In total there's about two dozen areas being negotiated however the focus seems to be on three major issues:

a. The home video residual formula. WGA members currently receive 0.3% of the distributors' gross for the first $1 million and 0.36% thereafter. This translates to about 5 cents per unit in most cases. The WGA is seeking to double that rate. The often mentioned rationale is that novelists receive up to 15% of the publisher's gross, literally 500 times that of TV and film writers.

b. Non-traditional media residuals. WGA members are not compensated for use of their work on cell phones, online streaming, etc. when the user doesn't pay for them. If they do (pay-per-view, video-on-demand, etc.), the residual rate is the same as the home video one - 0.3%. The guild is pressing for the following: "1.2% for features whether streamed or downloaded, 1.2% for TV product when the viewer pays, and 2.0% for post-1984 TV product or 2.5% for pre-1984 TV product when it is free to the viewer."

c. Jurisdiction and terms for made-for new technology. Writers working on content specifically created for the internet or other non-traditional media aren't subject to the same MBA standards as those who work on traditional media. The WGA hopes to close the gap.

4. Why then would the WGA go on strike?

Like all union-related disputes, a strike is designed as a bargaining ploy to force an agreement. Prior to Wednesday's deadline, WGA members passed a resolution - to record turnout - that the gives the guild's negotiating party the power to call a strike should they see it fit. 90.3% of the 5,507 votes cast were in favor of the resolution (read the story).

5. What then does it mean that the WGA is "on strike?"

According to the guild's strike rules, there's essentially one basic principle:

You (and your agent or other representative on your behalf) may not pitch to or negotiate with a struck company, and you may not provide writing services, sell or option literary material to a struck company.

In addition, members are expected to ask the struck companies to return any "spec" material (i.e. work that was completed in the hopes of being sold) as well as adhere to basic strike etiquette (don't cross picket lines, report any strike breaking activity, etc.).

Furthermore, members are allowed to continue in any non-writing capacity (actor, director, producer, etc.) as long as those activities do not involve writing in any way.

6. Does that mean primetime television production as a whole will be shut down?

Yes and no. Actors, directors and producers will continue to work on any completed scripts however considering that most shows work a month or so ahead of their air dates, that pool will dry up rather quickly. As of this writing most series currently on the air are filming their 9th-11th episodes while scripts have been delivered through their 13th-17th episodes (depending upon how many were ordered in the case of new series). Additionally, midseason offerings like "24" and "Lost" work on a production schedule several weeks behind their fall counterparts leaving even less episodes and scripts completed.

7. So when will this start affecting my viewing habits?

For the most part, networks are expected to continue as normal through the November sweeps period meaning December would be the earliest you'd see any changes. Not that you'd necessarily notice at that point - last year less than 28% of the broadcast networks' schedules consisted of first-run programming during the last two weeks of December (read the story). January then realistically would be the first time you'd see any substantive changes.

8. What could happen then if the strike lasts longer than a few months?

Industry insiders have speculated all sorts of scenarios but no one has gone on record with any prolonged strike contingency plans. Nevertheless, reality series and game shows will undoubtedly be heavily featured. Nearly 20 new reality series and game shows are already in various stages of production at ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and the CW in addition to such returning fare as "American Idol," "Wife Swap," "Supernanny," "The Apprentice" and so on.

9. How long did the last strike last?

The previous WGA strike - nearly 20 years ago - lasted 22 weeks, from March 7, 1988 through August 7, 1988. It's estimated the five-month strike cost the TV and film industry a collective $500 million. A prolonged strike in today's marketplace could double, triple or even quadruple that number.

10. So what happens next?

The reality is at some point an agreement will have to be reached. Whether that's in two days or two months is anyone's guess. Regardless, stay tuned to The Futon Critic for the latest news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I hear Lost has almost finished writing Series 4 so that's one show that seems safe

Industry insiders have speculated all sorts of scenarios but no one has gone on record with any prolonged strike contingency plans. Nevertheless, reality series and game shows will undoubtedly be heavily featured. Nearly 20 new reality series and game shows are already in various stages of production at ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and the CW in addition to such returning fare as "American Idol," "Wife Swap," "Supernanny," "The Apprentice" and so on.

Shudder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Isnt there talk that most actors wont cross the picket line? I think they've asked SAG for their support anyway. So, even if there are more scripts written that havent been filmed yet, they wont get filmed until the strike is over. Plus, filming without writers is difficult, because there are always last minute rewrites.

It makes me sad. I really hope they sort this out quickly!

beanyb wrote: »
    Isnt there talk that most actors wont cross the picket line? I think they've asked SAG for their support anyway. So, even if there are more scripts written that havent been filmed yet, they wont get filmed until the strike is over.
    They probably won't get it though as the SAG have their own agenda to look out - their Hollywood contract ends in the Summer of 2008 and then they could have their own separate strike. Any action now could potentially jeopardize their future bargaining position.

It makes me sad. I really hope they sort this out quickly!
    Same. The idea of being hit with nothing but reality TV makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

On a positive (?) note, it opens up the field for a new legion of improv-comedy shows - Keep On Curbing Your Enthusiasm, Whose Line Is It And Does Anyone Watch This Anymore Anyway? Thank God For Rushed Remakes Of Aussie Shows - and the Canadian comedy juggernaut we all know is ready to rumble across the border. (Little Mosque on Degrassi Street, Kids in the Trailer Park)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hollywood writers' strike begins as talks collapse
    3 hours ago

LOS ANGELES (AFP) — Hollywood writers went on strike Monday after last-minute talks aimed at ending a standoff between studios and wordsmiths collapsed, with the union demanding a share of cash brought in from DVDs and online distribution of shows.

"The strike is on," Writers Guild of America spokeswoman Sherry Goldman told AFP.

The strike deadline was a minute into Monday in each US time zone, meaning writers in New York City were the first to walk off their jobs, according to Goldman.

An 11th-hour negotiating session was held with the help of a federal mediator Sunday, but it broke down without achieving any results.

Members of the 12,000-strong union plan to begin picketing Monday morning at major studios in the Los Angeles area and outside NBC studio at Rockefeller Center in Manhattan.

The first casualties of the walk-out are likely to be talk shows, soap operas, and comedy programs that rely on fresh scripts.

Major motion picture studios and television programs typically have stockpiles of scripts that can insulate them from feeling the effects of the strike for a year or longer.

Writers want a greater share of residual profits from television series sold on DVDs and money made from programs shown on the Internet, cellular phones, and other new media outlets.

Producers acknowledge that online viewing is increasing and promise to study the issue, but argue that it is too early to say how profitable it will be.

Writers are determined not to repeat a mistake made decades earlier, when they underestimated how lucrative home video sales would become and settled for a contract that gives them just three cents of each DVD film sale.

"The biggest sticking point is new media, new technology," Goldman said after the strike began. "Our mantra is, 'if they get paid, we get paid'."

Writers get 1.2 percent of revenues from shows streamed online for one-time viewing but get nothing from content downloaded to own from websites such as iTunes.

"This technology has boomed," Goldman said. "We need to get paid for new media," she said, rattling off new-fangled ways movies now are viewed, including "webisodes," "mobisodes" and "snippets."

"More of this is being shown on computer screens and we get nothing," she said.

For example, if an entire blockbuster film supported by ads is shown free of charge on the Internet, writers get no money because studios label the display "promotional."

The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) has refused to discuss anything related to new media in negotiations during the past three months, Goldman said.

"There is no common ground," the union spokeswoman said.

Producers reject the guild's demands as unworkable and too expensive, setting the stage for the first major strike by Hollywood writers in nearly 20 years.

The strike call came after talks between the guild and the AMPTP broke down hours before an existing agreement expired on October 31.

"We are very disappointed with ... the action they took," Nicholas Counter, president of the AMPTP, said of the unionists.

Counter contends that the union's public argument is laden with "falsehoods, misstatements and inaccuracies" and promised specifics at a later date.

Industry analysts predict a lengthy shutdown lasting several months, with one estimate of potential losses set at more than one billion dollars.

A WGA strike in 1988 lasted 22 weeks and cost the industry an estimated 500 million dollars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Major motion picture studios and television programs typically have stockpiles of scripts that can insulate them from feeling the effects of the strike for a year or longer.
    Yikes! Is that really the case?

I suppose that Dave Letterman, Jay Leno and Jon Stewart will be off the air almost immediately. Will they simply show re-runs for the duration of the strike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Bond-007 wrote: »

I suppose that Dave Letterman, Jay Leno and Jon Stewart will be off the air almost immediately. Will they simply show re-runs for the duration of the strike?

Yup pretty much those types of shows will be into reruns immediately.

Most TV programs wouldn't have stockpiles of scripts that would last longer than a season and even some of these scripts would be expecting re-writes in the normal course of things. Movies have a longer lead in time so they're probably better insulated against this kind of thing and also you only need one script on which to make a movie as opposed to the many required for a season of a show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

I hope they come to a mutually benefit solution QUICKLY!! I have tickets for Jon Stewart for the end of the month! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

but don't reality shows have writers too, even people who come up with the scenarios...

no jon stewart,I knew bush was behind this...

Would the chat shows be able to keep going on the hosts material? I am sure Jay Leno does his own jokes?

The WGA wouldn't be too happy with Leno if he wrote during the strike. Once it was over it would be unlikely any WGA member would write for his show again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Steve Carell didnt show up for work today. So The Office has gone into total shut down already and more scripted shows will follow pretty quickly.

I suppose I do really need to kick my tv addiction. Maybe this will help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

but don't reality shows have writers too, even people who come up with the scenarios...
    They wouldn't be writers, though. They'd be producers and the like. Certainly not members of the WGA, anyway.

With regards to Lost.
    "Lost" fans, who have been waiting a long time for new episodes, will get to see at least eight new ones if the strike continues for a long time. "Lost" executive producer Carlton Cuse told Entertainment Weekly that ABC will soon have eight episodes in the can that it can begin airing after the first of the year. If the strike is prolonged and the writers can't get back to work writing the rest of the episodes, fans are going to be stuck with the kind of stunted season they were forced to endure last year.

"It will feel like buying a 'Harry Potter' book, reading half of it, and then having to put it down for many months," explains Cuse. "There is a cliffhanger at the end of the eighth episode. It will only be frustrating [for viewers] to have to step away from the show and not see the second half of the season.

"The first half of the season, like a good novel, sets all the events of the show in motion and the second half deals with the consequences," Cuse continued. "We're very proud of the first eight but it feels weird to have to stop literally mid-stream."

:(:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Update

Updated!!
    THE OFFICE
    Is Closed!!
    I am – Hercules!!

TV writers: Is your showrunner back at work today?

“The Office” showrunner Greg Daniels is picketing his own Van Nuys set. Cast members – including Rainn Wilson, Jenna Fischer and John Krasinski as well as WGA members Steve Carell, B.J. Novak, Mindy Kaling and Paul Leiberstein – are not crossing the picket line.

Losing its cast shuts down NBC’s highest-rated sitcom a lot faster than a lot of other series, which are trying to put into production the last few scripts written before the strike.

An excerpt from a TVWeek story on the matter:

“We have non-writing producers on the show who are perfectly capable of doing any non-writing producing duties,” Mr. Daniels said. “They want me do to writing-producing and just pretend it’s producing. Every decision you make has a writing aspect to it. If they really just thought it was producing, they could just as easily get somebody else to do these tasks.”

Read all of TVWeek’s story here.

"30 Rock" writer/star/mastermind/showrunner Tina Fey is also picketing her own show.

This just in:

Hey, Herc -- They're telling the striking workers down at CBS that Julia Louise Dreyfuss walked off the set of "New Adventures of Old Christine" today and promptly joined the picket line. I now love Ms. Dreyfuss.

And this:

Outside of Universal this morning was the bearded one himself, ["Battlestar Galactica" showrunner] Ron Moore, picketing the Universal Studios Gates with the entire writing staff.

And this:

I can confirm that the entire writing staff of TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES, including showrunners John Wirth and Josh Friedman, were out picketing at Warner Bros today.

And this:

Herc,

Heads up, another show to add to the list of frozen productions.

Rules of Engagement, starring David Spade and Patrick Warburton has officially shut down as well. Their last episode was filmed Sunday night instead of the usual Tuesday night.

I work on the show and it's officially shut down until further notice.

And this:

"Desperate Housewives" showrunner Marc Cherry picketed Universal Monday, alongside WGA President Patric Veronne and lead negotiator David Young. Entertainment Tonight popped by as well. Marc will be back tomorrow, he is picketing with his entire writing staff.

Marg Helgenberger showed up all by her lonesome to join the picket, and did actually picket for several hours.

Joss Whedon's fan club, Whedoneque, had pizzas delivered to all gates, including a special anchovies-only for Jane Espenson (she did drop by and did enjoy a slice).

And a man I am told was Ahmet Zappa came by with several dozen iced blendeds from Coffee Bean for everyone's enjoyment.

The honks from drivers passing by were deafening and constant, and greatly, greatly appreciated - keep honking! NBC even sent down an *intern* to beg us to quit encouraging the honking, as it was "distracting" to the suits inside. We'll get right on that.

This from longtime AICN contributor "Derek Flint":

Bryan Fuller was picketing Warner Brothers with the entire writing staff of PUSHING DAISIES.

J.J. Abrams picketed alongside the producers of LOST.

Reportedly, Tim Kring wouldn't comply with a weekend rewrite that would tack a season ending onto the last script written and is now off HEROES.

An email from "Grey's Anatomy"/"Private Practice" mastermind Shonda Rhimes:

I have to tell all of you that this email directly reflects the stance I came to over a very long night in New York. I absolutely believed that I would edit our episodes. Until a thought hit me: how can I walk a picket line and then continue to essentially work? How am I supposed to look at myself in the mirror or look at my child years from now and know that I did not have the courage of my convictions to stand up and put myself more at risk than anyone else? So I choose not to render my services as a producer. I choose to honor the strike. And I am proud that you all stand with me.

Shawn Ryan, showrunner on CBS' "The Unit" and FX's "The Shield," is also staying out of the office and on the picket line with "Unit" star Robert Patrick. Ryan writes:

At the Showrunners Meeting it became very clear to me that the only thing I can do as a showrunner is to do nothing. I obviously will not write on my shows. But I also will not edit, I will not cast, I will not look at location photos, I will not get on the phone with the network and studio, I will not prep directors, I will not review mixes. These are all acts that are about the writing of the show or protecting the writing of the show, and as such, I will not participate in them. I will also not ask any of my writer/producers to do any of these things for me, so that they get done, but I can save face.

I will not go into the office and I will not do any work at home. I will be on the picket line or I will be working with the Negotiating Committee. I will not have an avid sent to my house, or to a new office so that I can do work on my show and act as if it is all right because I'm not crossing any picket lines.

Read more of Ryan's thoughts on the matter here.

If anyone knows of other showrunners and/or cast picketing and/or staying home today, kindly get in touch:

• Advertisement

It is looking like a total shutdown and the actors are supporting the writers. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It is looking like a total shutdown and the actors are supporting the writers. :(

Did you not expect that?

Would you cross a picket line?

The thing is we could be all set for this next year when the actors go to renew their contracts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

It's not so much the actors. It's the producers/executive producers/showrunner who essentially make the show (producers in TVland have more power than directors who generally do just one show at a time). But all of these guys also write episodes Ron Moore, Lindeloff, Cuse, Abrams, Kring etc. They are essential to producing dramas so the whole production shuts down and your damn sure not going to cross a picket line as an actor when your boss is on that picket line.

Comedies are even more affected as a lot of the stars are also writers - well the big name guys anyway. It's all a mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Things are bad alright,

Heroes
    Lost
    BSG
    30 Rock
    The Unit
    The SHield

There was a good few shows not mentioned in the above info but thats for the info anyway, i have to start making alternite plans, if im right season 1 of heroes in HiDef is out and BSG season 1 is due out on december 4th or 5th? so i think i better go to amazon to get my christmass watching ready.

Hmm i might rewatch death note.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The sad thing is it seems like they were making real progress in the final talks on Sunday until the producers stormed out. This strike will either get resolved very quickly or it'll go on until early next year.

The sad thing is it seems like they were making real progress in the final talks on Sunday until the producers stormed out. This strike will either get resolved very quickly or it'll go on until early next year.

I thought they were only last minute talks? I thought there was very little progress over all?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They were last minute but according to few sources both sides made some fairly big concessions, the WGA had dropped their DVD demands and the number of issues had gone from five to two. Then the producers found out the strike had already started in NY, threw a hissy fit and left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

Do writers have the same clout as actors? Rememeber the cast(s) of Friends who got a $3/4M for each ep when it was doing well across the globe.
    Seinfeld was also a writer/actor who got a cool $1M for each ep, i dont know this for sure but i think Kelsey Grammer got similar for Frasier

I suppose they're only lookin for a raise after 20 odd years IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

The Wire S1E01, The West Wing S1E01....here I come.......

• Advertisement

Heroes Season 1 here I come

Dont tell basquille

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Good news for us Jericho fans :D

Archimedes wrote: »
    Good news for us Jericho fans :D

What good news?

it's like the miner strike all over again :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

standbyme wrote: »
    Do writers have the same clout as actors? Rememeber the cast(s) of Friends who got a $3/4M for each ep when it was doing well across the globe.
    Seinfeld was also a writer/actor who got a cool $1M for each ep, i dont know this for sure but i think Kelsey Grammer got similar for Frasier

I suppose they're only lookin for a raise after 20 odd years IMO.

They do and they don't. Without anybody to write any shows they're obviously screwed but on the other hand there are way more writers around. Also writers come and go often enough on TV shows and the audience don't really notice. Try replacing Ross from Friends midseason and pass it of as nothing has happened.

Basically writers more interchangeable as they are not as seen. They start asking more cash on one particular show get new writers. They have to strike en masse for it to work

There's a great list here of the state of all shows saying how many episodes we can expect given current conditions.

• Advertisement

Excellent link ixoy.. thanks for that!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cheers for the link ixoy. It's depressing to see how many shows this is going to affect. Hopefully it won't last too long.

Thats a great link, Ixoy... thanks.

Still some missing shows that I'm curious about though... House, Prison Break, Smallville.... I assume they all have 10-12 in the can.

The Wire : Completed and will air as scheduled.

Thank ****!

Just noticed no sign of the Office on the list. Would have thought that would be on it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"
    Will go into repeats immediately.
    "The Colbert Report"
    "Real Time with Bill Maher"

:(

lame!

kearnsr wrote: »
    Thank ****!

Don't be too quick to applaud this. Many shows require re-writes as they actually go into production and this won't happen while the WGA are on strike. If it continues don't be surprised if there's a dip in quality toward the latter half of the season.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Don't be too quick to applaud this. Many shows require re-writes as they actually go into production and this won't happen while the WGA are on strike. If it continues don't be surprised if there's a dip in quality toward the latter half of the season.
    I'm nearly sure it's all filmed and wrapped up so that won't apply here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

BigDragon wrote: »
    The Wire S1E01, The West Wing S1E01....here I come.......

I'll be there too. Bring snacks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Anyone know the situation with House? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

Further info on the status of shows here:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

steve 0 wrote: »
    Further info on the status of shows here:

House: Production continues. Show to become anchor of Fox schedule through early 2008 due to absence of 24 and Prison Break.

Thanks for the link!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Maybe it's me but...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/i92452/paramount-pictures-picket-line.html

Seeing as they are writers they could have come up with some cool placard slogans!

there was a list in empire of all the movies there are trying to produce while they cant write new ones, its probably on their site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Skinfull wrote: »
    Maybe it's me but...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/i92452/paramount-pictures-picket-line.html

Seeing as they are writers they could have come up with some cool placard slogans!

The producers of Lost have written "Do you want to find out what the island really is?" on theirs:D

It got a chuckle outta me, at least.

• Advertisement
Advertisement