Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a magazine help!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

OK,got another question,any one got an idea about lifting photos and imformation of the internet and so on and what sort of money is involved and have you or your staff got to be members of nuj or other bodies to write articles for a new start up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Basically, it's a range. Mediocre content and unknown writers and photographers are cheap, Great content, well known writers and good photography are extremely expensive. To take the extreme example, the New Yorker might easily spend $120,000 or more on an article.

The problem is that it's very difficult to churn out a product of great quality for an audience as small as Ireland.

The good news is that the industry has never been more free of bureaucracy and red tape. You do not need to be a member of any organization to write for a publication.

It might be advantageous to join various bodies, or it might not.

Basically, it's a range. Mediocre content and unknown writers and photographers are cheap, Great content, well known writers and good photography are extremely expensive. To take the extreme example, the New Yorker might easily spend $120,000 or more on an article.

The problem is that it's very difficult to churn out a product of great quality for an audience as small as Ireland.

The good news is that the industry has never been more free of bureaucracy and red tape. You do not need to be a member of any organization to write for a publication.

It might be advantageous to join various bodies, or it might not.[/QUOTE Would be photos really,is there any free librarys or can you take images for a small little publication witout to much kerfuffle,just trying to get a handle on hidden extra costs as we could be running with a lot of photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you can find free ones, sure. You can also buy from 'royalty free' libraries at a very low cost. The problem is that the photography you will get will look pretty cheap.

Content is not really a 'hidden cost'. It's a core cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Content is not really a 'hidden cost'. It's a core cost.

+1000.

If you use free images, make really, *really* sure you're licenced to use them for commercial purposes.

• Advertisement

Thanks on that guys,will be careful out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

tipptom wrote: »
    OK,got another question,any one got an idea about lifting photos and imformation of the internet and so on and what sort of money is involved and have you or your staff got to be members of nuj or other bodies to write articles for a new start up.

http://compfight.com/ might be useful to you. I used a good bit when writing for a college paper. They have a creative commons section where stock photos are free. Do read the T&C's though as I think there is something in there about having to credit the photographer, which we always did.

RATM wrote: »
    http://compfight.com/ might be useful to you. I used a good bit when writing for a college paper. They have a creative commons section where stock photos are free. Do read the T&C's though as I think there is something in there about having to credit the photographer, which we always did.
    Thanks for the link Ratm.

Hi guys,back again to pick your brains,so have my focus groups nearly completed for my weekly newspaper and there is really good feedback.Doing my business plan and need to talk to printers and distributers to get costs.My mentor tells me their is a big 5 mostly owned by the big dailys who have it sewn up,wondering what your opinion on this is and can the independants compete with these?.Its still early days and looking to september for first edition so will they want to talk to me at this early stage and what are the main questions to put to them on an approx 28 page weekly paper a la Daily mail stylee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Get three quotes min from different printers. Start with these if you like:

1. Datascope.ie
    2. boylanprintgroup.ie
    3. walshcolourprint.com

Datascope are newsprint printers so should be keenest price wise. However, the other two should give them a run for their money.

If you want any independent advice on any production matters then please pm me. I spent over 20 years in the print/publishing business, here and in the UK.

• Advertisement

Get three quotes min from different printers. Start with these if you like:

1. Datascope.ie
    2. boylanprintgroup.ie
    3. walshcolourprint.com

Datascope are newsprint printers so should be keenest price wise. However, the other two should give them a run for their money.

If you want any independent advice on any production matters then please pm me. I spent over 20 years in the print/publishing business, here and in the UK.
    Thanks for the printers Gloom,will start with them 3 and i will come back to you after that,will appreciate advice from the experienced as I have no experience going in to this at all.

Advertisement