Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

steering rack boots

Options
  • 03-11-2007 7:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Hi,

literally 6 months ago, i had to get my steering rack boots on the front left and right after failing a warrant of fitness (NCT equiv). Now, I just went in to get a new WOF (every 6mths cause its an old enough car) and it failed because the left hand boot is torn! doing a quick google, it seems that steering rack boots are pretty hardy and it seems very wierd that it would tear so quickly...the ones i had on previous to them being replaced had been on a while.

why i ask, is when i take my car to the mechanic on monday (have a few other wee prob's to fix), i really want to say to him that the repairs i paid for didnt last as long as they should. is it his fault or a faulty part? im just annoyed at having to pay for the same thing again...other than that he's a great, well priced mechanic who has done good work before.

any advice/comments welcomed!

thanks in advance :)

ETA: its a '87 mazda familia 323...149,000 k, previously my nana's and i only drive it to college etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

are you sure its steering rack boots/gaitors. Could it be c.v boots this time??? Are you sure you know what you are talking about basically? lol (just messing!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Basically it can happen. I''ve a boot go twice on me, close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

BostonB wrote: »
    Basically it can happen. I''ve a boot go twice on me, close together.

thanks bostonb...its pretty annoying that it happened but i suppose it is in a moving part of the car so wear and tear is expected. still doesnt mean i like dropping more cash on it! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Get him to use genuine mazda boots this time if he didn't the last time.
    May be a bit more expensive but think of it this way : the originals were probably either never changed and lasted 149,000 or changed once so lasted 70odd k ish .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

When it happened to me, we reckon I must have pinched it, or a sharp stone pierced it. The later most likely.

• Advertisement

bushy... wrote: »
    Get him to use genuine mazda boots this time if he didn't the last time.
    May be a bit more expensive but think of it this way : the originals were probably either never changed and lasted 149,000 or changed once so lasted 70odd k ish .

very true. id rather him take a bit more time to get a mazda part in (theres a good few parts dealers where i live) and maaaybe have it last longer. im pretty sure they would have been replaced before i had them replaced but its still been a while...

BostonB wrote: »
    When it happened to me, we reckon I must have pinched it, or a sharp stone pierced it. The later most likely.

must've been the same with me...im not sure where exactly they are placed in the car but i was trying to think if i had done anything abnormal driving wise...but if it fails in six months time again i will stab someone in the eye LOL

Advertisement