Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Eircom charge you for exceeding your cap?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Well i went through the sign up on a whim,

And got an email saying they will ship the starter pack soon??

Though I reckon Eircom will just stop it from going through.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

WellyJ wrote: »
    Well i went through the sign up on a whim,

And got an email saying they will ship the starter pack soon??

Though I reckon Eircom will just stop it from going through.

They'll try their best to scupper it by denying the request because the address you give them isn't exactly the same as is in their database apparently. It'll be worth it in the end though.

They'll try their best to scupper it by denying the request because the address you give them isn't exactly the same as is in their database apparently. It'll be worth it in the end though.

Well the problem is not the address, its the fact they have a 12 month contract in place.

So i cant see why they would let me move to Smart when they have me under contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

It never ceases to amaze me how paranoid people are about Eircom. Its unbelievable. Dont worry i dont work for them or anything but c'mon now lads. Do you really think they would risk a massive fine from ComReg just to block you moving providers. I know you think very little of ComReg aswell but really now. If ComReg was never introduced you'd all be with Eircom and i know how happy that'd make you lot. Just stop being so paranoid....ring eircom sales department, explain you're not happy with the service and you'd like to move to Smart....They may

A) Close the contract with a penalty
    B) Send a crew of assassins around to kill you and your family

or

C) Nothing, they're all too busy on their evil island lair rolling around in YOUR money like blood Scrooge McDuck

:confused:

Dont forget lads if George W.Bush isn't to blame....eircom did it!!

briantwin wrote: »
    A) Close the contract with a penalty

Don't you mean "Force me to pay for the remaining months on the contract" ?

• Advertisement

eircom TOS

Now i used to work for them and i dont recall ever hearing of them actually excercising their right to demand payment of the monthly contract to completion. I may be wrong. ring the sales department or customer services and see what they say. Remember to be as direct as possible.

ie. "I want to terminate my contract with eircom for my broadband,will i incur the cancelation charge in the form being charged the monthly rental for the balance of theunexpired contract period?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BaldiePablo

briantwin wrote: »
    eircom TOS

Now i used to work for them and i dont recall ever hearing of them actually excercising their right to demand payment of the monthly contract to completion. I may be wrong. ring the sales department or customer services and see what they say. Remember to be as direct as possible.

ie. "I want to terminate my contract with eircom for my broadband,will i incur the cancelation charge in the form being charged the monthly rental for the balance of theunexpired contract period?"

If you leave eircom you may be charged the cancellation within contract fee but these are the T&Cs you signed up to dont forget!!!
    Same goes for overusage of the download amount. The reason it's there is to prevent massive contention on your BB (I SUFFER with Ice BB because they have no cap .... dont get me started!!) which may be why they dont charge ... although I have it on good authority that the reason is because the billing system is yet to be put in place. Once this come in you'll all get hit!! Nasty!!

..... SMART BB is supplied by eircom by the way .....

I have it on good authority that the reason is because the billing system is yet to be put in place. Once this come in you'll all get hit!! Nasty!!

Yeh it does take over 4 years to implement a simple billing system...... :rolleyes:

Yeh it does take over 4 years to implement a simple billing system...... :rolleyes:

Simple?

Good authority aint good enough. I have seen for myself first hand charge sheets which could be issued for excessive usage. The billing system is already there.....Go to BB Stats you see the BB stats option (which on occasion doesn't work too well) on the bottom right. That tells you how much you've downloaded. Now i understand thats just a flash representation of what you've used. But its being populated from their databases which are updated daily. It would be as simple as taking your download amount from the logging server on any given month minus your cap (in mb) and multiplying by 0.01 to get it into euro's.
    then just add it to your bill!!

I can see where the difficulty lies...especially seeing as everyone logs on with a generic login and all your traffic is tracked via your phone number so even appending it to your bill would require the very minimum of effort.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

.... SMART BB is supplied by eircom by the way .....

Are they? Smart put their own equipment into the exchanges. They have to pay eircom rental to have the equipment in their but I don't see how smart broadband is supplied by eircom.

Simple?

Yes. Simple.

Hell I can code them something that will calculate what someone owes by checking on their DSL stats,

Whats hard about it???

The info is all there at the end of each month, just simple multiplication.

Then add the total to the end of the phone bill.

Not rocket science.

The truth is they dont give a **** and they dont want customers to leave.

Are they? Smart put their own equipment into the exchanges. They have to pay eircom rental to have the equipment in their but I don't see how smart broadband is supplied by eircom.

You're right its not,

Baldie doesnt know what he is talking about.

You're right its not,

Baldie doesnt know what he is talking about.

haha ... I think Briantwin said it best "Just more prattle from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about!!" Depending if you're talking about unbundling the copper pair you MAY have an ISP utilising their own equipment but in the VAST majority of cases it's simple Wholesale Line Rental which is eircom supplying the BB via SMART ... but please Welly do continue.... facinate me with more of your insight .....we're having a bit of a laugh at your development skills here!!! Ever consider maybe putting your dev skills to paper? You'd make a fortune .... :rolleyes:

haha ... I think Briantwin said it best "Just more prattle from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about!!" Depending if you're talking about unbundling the copper pair you MAY have an ISP utilising their own equipment but in the VAST majority of cases it's simple Wholesale Line Rental which is eircom supplying the BB via SMART ... but please Welly do continue.... facinate me with more of your insight .....we're having a bit of a laugh at your development skills here!!! Ever consider maybe putting your dev skills to paper? You'd make a fortune .... :rolleyes:

Are you under the influence of some kind of mind altering medication?

What on earth are you talking about.

Who is this "we" you refer to? And Briantwin wasn't referring to me at all with that quote you used.

Bizarre post Baldie

And Smart install their own equipment into the Eircom exchanges, so how is their BB "supplied by Eircom"?

Who is this "we" you refer to?

Haha .. gettin paranoid are we?

Anywho, getting bored with this so I'll get back on topic. Eircom will be billing shortly for over-usage so I would advise people to be vigalint if they don't want to get a nasty surprise on their bill soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

How do you know this?

ian_m wrote: »
    How do you know this?

He doesn't,

Don't mind him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BaldiePablo is talking nonsense imho, I especially love the comments regarding Smart using eircom to supply Broadband, either he has a poor understanding of LLU or he/she is clueless.

Cabaal wrote: »
    BaldiePablo is talking nonsense imho, I especially love the comments regarding Smart using eircom to supply Broadband, either he has a poor understanding of LLU or he/she is clueless.

Agreed,

And it has to be said that if Eircon were to actually start charging they would make sure to inform their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Agreed,

And it has to be said that if Eircon were to actually start charging they would make sure to inform their customers.

Certainly from a PR stand point of view it would make sense as otherwise it could cause them alot of complaints

But given their T&C's they can do so without the need to inform customers given that people accepted that if they go over they will be charged.

Certainly from a PR stand point of view it would make sense as otherwise it could cause them alot of complaints

But given their T&C's they can do so without the need to inform customers given that people accepted that if they go over they will be charged.

Yes of course they can technically start charging whenever they want,

But I think it would be a bad move on their part not giving a warning.

Lots of customers will be pretty annoyed, I know I would leave them the second i received a bill charging for excess usage.

Yes of course they can technically start charging whenever they want,

But I think it would be a bad move on their part not giving a warning.

Lots of customers will be pretty annoyed, I know I would leave them the second i received a bill charging for excess usage.

I find this truely amazing! When you sign up to BB it CLEARLY STATES that there is a cap and afterwards there will be charges. When eircom begin to charge it will simply mean there are bringing into effect what they have been saying for ages now. How could that warrent complaints?? If you all wish to hide behind the door with your hands over your ears then thats fine but please please please take a picture of yourself when you get your bill in a few months because I'd love to see the look on your faces!!! :D:D:D

I know I would leave them the second i received a bill charging for excess usage.

and did you not say you were in a 12mth contract?? hahaha .... tripping up are we?

Actually I am currently moving to Smart, Eircom didnt even try to block it despite me being under contract.

The above post was merely hypothetical, in that if i was STILL an ericom customer and they tried to charge me it would be all the incentive i need to leave them,

And YES everyone is aware of the charges outlined in the contract,

HOWEVER, not charging anyone for what must be almost 5 years now and suddenly deciding to charge with no warning would cause uproar.

Really Baldie what the hell is your problem with all this,

You come out with stupid predicitions and have nothing to back them up.

They are not going to charge anyone "soon".

And to be honest its more likely that they would remove the cap at this stage than start enforcing it.

Take your bull**** elsewhere.

I find this truely amazing! When you sign up to BB it CLEARLY STATES that there is a cap and afterwards there will be charges. When eircom begin to charge it will simply mean there are bringing into effect what they have been saying for ages now. How could that warrent complaints?? If you all wish to hide behind the door with your hands over your ears then thats fine but please please please take a picture of yourself when you get your bill in a few months because I'd love to see the look on your faces!!! :D:D:D

Ok lets give an example

Joe Soap has a family and he is subscribed to a Eircom Broadband package that has a cap, his kids visit youtube alot and because of this he goes 2-3GB over his cap each month.

This has been happening for almost 3 years now and Joe Soap isn't aware of it because he's never gottten any bills from Eircom with extra charges, suddenly he finds he's been billed 30.72e (3x 10.24e*) extra for the month of December for going 3GB over his cap.

Yes the customer agreed to the T&C's when he signed up but he's been using the service like this for years and now finds he's being charged.

He has a few options, first of these is bitching about this extra charge
    - Move to a higher capped package
    - Move to another ISP.

From a PR standpoint eircom would be muppets if they did this wrong and suddenly charging without any pre-warning will result in ALOT of pissed off customers :)

I'm not saying Eircom is in the wrong, there not but it'll look like they are from the averge customers viewpoint :)

* Excess usage on the eircom broadband time packages will be charged at 4c per minute, eircom also reserve the right to charge an additional 1c per MB for excessive usage on the always on home starter, home plus and home professional broadband packages

Actually I am currently moving to Smart, Eircom didnt even try to block it despite me being under contract.

The above post was merely hypothetical, in that if i was STILL an ericom customer and they tried to charge me it would be all the incentive i need to leave them,

And YES everyone is aware of the charges outlined in the contract,

HOWEVER, not charging anyone for what must be almost 5 years now and suddenly deciding to charge with no warning would cause uproar.

Really Baldie what the hell is your problem with all this,

You come out with stupid predicitions and have nothing to back them up.

They are not going to charge anyone "soon".

And to be honest its more likely that they would remove the cap at this stage than start enforcing it.

Take your bull**** elsewhere.

Ah Welly you're easier to wind up than a clock!!! :D

Ok lets give an example

Joe Soap has a family and he is subscribed to a Eircom Broadband package that has a cap, his kids visit youtube alot and because of this he goes 2-3GB over his cap each month.

This has been happening for almost 3 years now and Joe Soap isn't aware of it because he's never gottten any bills from Eircom with extra charges, suddenly he finds he's been billed 30.72e (3x 10.24e*) extra for the month of December for going 3GB over his cap.

Yes the customer agreed to the T&C's when he signed up but he's been using the service like this for years and now finds he's being charged.

He has a few options, first of these is bitching about this extra charge
    - Move to a higher capped package
    - Move to another ISP.

From a PR standpoint eircom would be muppets if they did this wrong and suddenly charging without any pre-warning will result in ALOT of pissed off customers :)

I'm not saying Eircom is in the wrong, there not but it'll look like they are from the averge customers viewpoint :)

* Excess usage on the eircom broadband time packages will be charged at 4c per minute, eircom also reserve the right to charge an additional 1c per MB for excessive usage on the always on home starter, home plus and home professional broadband packages

Cabaal ... I agree with you 100% ... .I'm not saying it's nice but it unfortunatly will happen.

On a related note to WellyJ's post, BaldiePablo your posting here with claim upon claim with regards to Eircom and there packages and also how "you believe" how eircom and smart supply broadband :rolleyes:

Now there's sides to this
    1. Your making stuff up to wind people up and in which case your trolling

2. Your a eircom employee posting potentially internal info without your employers consent in which case you could be fired if they found out.

Care to confirm which you are? :)

• Advertisement

On a related note to WellyJ's post, BaldiePablo your posting here with claim upon claim with regards to Eircom and there packages and also how "you believe" how eircom and smart supply broadband :rolleyes:

Now there's sides to this
    1. Your making stuff up to wind people up and in which case your trolling

2. Your a eircom employee posting potentially internal info without your employers consent in which case you could be fired if they found out.

Care to confirm which you are? :)

Savage :) .... anything I posted is freely available on the web if you leave this thread for a min and actually look it up instead of asking me "just how do you know this" ..... but you have asked the question so I'll answer it for you.

1. Not strictly true. I answered a question but it would appear plenty of people are afraid of the answer so it woke them from Halo 3 to discuss this. I could be guilty of the wind up though. It's just too easy with Welly!! :D Not a regular here so being banned will not upset my corn flakes too much.

2. Nope, working deep in the abyss of IT I'm afraid. But I do like the theory!

(Trolling?? Thats a new one on me ... They do say you should learn something new every day though!!)

Advertisement