Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delay lodging a cheque

Options
  • 03-11-2007 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I'm with aib. If i lodge a non aib cheque made out to me into an aib branch other than my own will it take longer to clear?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

ciaranfo wrote: »
    I'm with aib. If i lodge a non aib cheque made out to me into an aib branch other than my own will it take longer to clear?

When I lodge a cheque I get the money in my acct (aib) straight away, but it can still bounce...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It has to go through a clearing house which is something all banks use to process payments. Usually this is 2-5 days. AFAIK most banks do not automatically allow you instant access to funds from a cheque and they warn you of the possible consequences of bouncing cheques. Call your bank.They will be able to tell you exactly when a cheque has cleared. You are taking a risk drawing down funds against an uncleared cheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm familiar from before when I lodge a cheque and it shows up in my transaction history but my "live balance" doesn't update on AIB Online Banking for a few days.

Just wanted to see if it delayed it further if I lodged in my branch or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

It wont be delayed any longer than normal.

Advertisement