Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a Website

Options
  • 03-11-2007 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

Firstly, sorry if this is not the appropriate forum. Web Hosting would be the obvious choice but it's not an option.

My query is when setting up a website do you have to buy the hosting and the domain name separately, or do you get a domain name with the hosting package? I'm looking at Hosting365 in particular as their basic hosting package looks very cheap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

General rule of thumb = domain costs extra unless otherwise stated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

humbert wrote: »
    Firstly, sorry if this is not the appropriate forum. Web Hosting would be the obvious choice but it's not an option.

My query is when setting up a website do you have to buy the hosting and the domain name separately, or do you get a domain name with the hosting package? I'm looking at Hosting365 in particular as their basic hosting package looks very cheap.

usually you pay for each separately. places like GoDaddy offer free hosting when you buy a domain name, but it's usually extremely limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Depends on the company. Some do domain plus hosting packages, but most you have to purchase domain extra. Beware also some companies list ex vat prices, so may not be as cheap as it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Thanks. I assumed that if it was included they would be all too happy to state it. Also thanks for the tip on VAT, it hadn't occurred to me and it's not included. At least now I can consider the price knowing what it's actually going to be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its been a while since I looked at hosting prices in Ireland, but its normaly very expensive compared to other hosting companies outside the state. Domains (.coms for example) are costly compared to sites like NameCheap where it costs about €5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Hey Sully,

Maybe you should look at ireland again :)

Our gTLD domains are €5.95 per year.

Humber - all our prices are quoted ex VAT which is the industry standard way of quoting for domains, hosting, etc. You can add a domain to your order, or add hosting to your domain order in the checkout process, the total cost would be €39.95 for the hosting, €5.95 for the domain and 21% VAT.

HTH, Stephen

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Id prefer companies started giving prices WITH VAT. Its rather annoying having to slap out the calculator or waiting for the checkout to find out just how much is left. (Yes, I know, im lazy). :/

the challenge is that not everyone is subject to it. Some 10% of our signups are from outside Ireland and most of the Irish ones are businesses. We also have to compete with other international businesses that don't list prices with sales taxes either.

On our site, just click buy now and it will confirm the full inclsive price immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

places like GoDaddy offer free hosting when you buy a domain name, but it's usually extremely limited.

I wouldn't say GoDadddy offer free hosting. They offer free redirection or forwarding, or they will 'host' up to 5 pages if the pages are built using their own Site Builder which includes ads on every page.

Sully > You don't have to look abroad for competitive hosting. Our hosting starter package is €30 a year total and includes a free domain.

CoNfOuNd; Nice hosting package there.

I get a small bit more space/bandwidth and a lot of unlimited facilites (such as domains, databases etc) for $20USD. Have a look at XC-Basic; http://www.xc-host.com/?page=shosting

Very nice offer though, and if I wasnt sorted with XC-Host - id be taking a closer look at what you have on offer. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Sully. :)

I don't have any opinion on XC Host. I can't access their website but I can see it on Googles cache.

They have only one server (probably rented) with AYK Solutions, who sell services in the Gnax.com datacenter. They describe themselves as "budget hosting" and they probably don't have any access to their servers on the ground; they are an nth level reseller offering limited support and are based in the states.

As an Irishman I'd want servers based in Ireland, from an Irish company with Irish support. The main reason for Irish people using Irish servers is that local servers are faster (avg 4x faster than US servers), and we do offer unlimited subdomains, parked domains etc. too.

CoNfOuNd: Site seems a bit up and down in the last few hours, but my hosting hasnt been affected.

When I was setting up, I looked into Irish hosts but I was getting a better deal with XCHost and all has been well since. :)

I dont see you advertising unlimted MySQL Databases, Mail Boxes, Add-On Domains and such. (I know, im being very picky but thats what im getting at the moment!)

cough ;) we do unlimited mysql db's - and 5gb space for only 39.95 a year :)

Stephen > cough :rolleyes: You offer "unlimited" mysql databases, but limit the database space to 5% of the users diskspace! ;)

to be fair confound - our database servers are separate to our web servers so the DB quota is in addition to the webspace. Its also not 'entirely' proper to sling mud at competitors on here - our mysql quota on that plan is more that the total quota you provide ( and your site doesn't actually reveal if the db occupies the same disk save as the website )

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

:rolleyes:

Why was the web hosting forum closed again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Gordon wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Why was the web hosting forum closed again?
    I was beginning to wonder myself...

Lads, cut it out.

Its also not 'entirely' proper to sling mud at competitors on here

Stephen > I certainly did not sling mud at your company. If you are going to make misleading claims about your packages, it's anyones right to point them out. You used "unlimited mysql dbs" and "5gb space" in the same sentence, which could mislead people into thinking you offer 5gb for mysql dbs, when you only offer 250mb.
    our mysql quota on that plan is more that the total quota you provide

That isn't true. It is you who just started slinging mud. I stated facts and you fiction.

Aidan/Gordon > I'm not sniping at anyone. I'm just correcting another user regardless of who they are.

Perhaps now would be a good time to lock this thread, before confound gets any more excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Frankly, about 10 posts ago might have been better...

Right, you all know its been in the charter for some time. Consider this a warning that if threads descend to this level again posts will start being deleted. If it continues after that, users will start receiving bans.

The OPs question has been answered, so I'm locking the thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement