Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Check For Full/Half Duplex In Windows...

Options
  • 03-11-2007 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, does anyone know how to check if a NIC has auto-negotiated itself to full or half-duplex in Windows?

Thanks!

Seán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

It should go to what ever it has been set to.

System properties > Hardware > Device Manager > Network adapters > Advanced > Speed & Duplex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

It should go to what ever it has been set to.

System properties > Hardware > Device Manager > Network adapters > Advanced > Speed & Duplex

Cheers for replying Darth Homer, but I'm talking about when the NIC is set to auto-negotiate, not when it's hard-coded. It won't change at that location you're talking about; instead it'll show "auto" because... well... that's what it's set to :)

I know I can find out via the switch CLI, but there must be a way to do it via windows. Perhaps a power tool or similar? And please, no "Just install *nix" responses :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 vampire_cn

it is normally half duplex if u connect to different class device.such as pc-hub.

vampire_cn wrote: »
    it is normally half duplex if u connect to different class device.such as pc-hub.

What do you mean by different class? I'm aware that most hubs auto-negotiate to half because of the fact that they're layer 1 devices (and they're broadcast nature). I'm not sure what you mean by different class though.

In most of the situations I'd be checking, it would be a switch that the box is connected to. I could console into the switch and check, but being able to check simply on Windows would be really useful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 vampire_cn

you can check the duplex mode in the netcard config.

right click network icon. config-->advance-->linkspeed/duplex.

if u connect to switch,and the switch works in the full duplex mode.you can change the netcard to full duplex.

but it always has packet loss problem when ur pc works in full duplex mode.
    dont ask me the reason, i dont no :D

• Advertisement

I think you're misunderstanding me :) Or else I'm misunderstanding you!

I want to leave the NIC to autonegotiate. However, I would like to know what it has autonegiotiated itself *to*! I will be doing this with many PCs, not just a test run on a single box. Is this the properties screen you're talking about? That field won't change itself, it will stay at auto-config as I mentioned.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Folex wrote: »
    I want to leave the NIC to autonegotiate. However, I would like to know what it has autonegiotiated itself *to*!
    It's Ok, I know what you mean :)

I'm pretty sure there's no way to tell what it's autonegotiated to using standard Windows tools. There may be a way using tools supplied by the NIC manufacturer if you install the full driver and diagnostics supplied by the manufacturer rather than relying on standard Windows drivers.

BTW most problems with failed autonegotiation that I've come across are due to old versions of NIC drivers. There used to be a particular problem with old 3Com drivers and Cisco switches not autonegotiating properly a few years ago, but that seems to be a thing of the past.

Are having any particular problems that makes you think that it's not doing what it's supposed to do, or is it just curiosity?

Alun wrote: »
    It's Ok, I know what you mean :)

I'm pretty sure there's no way to tell what it's autonegotiated to using standard Windows tools. There may be a way using tools supplied by the NIC manufacturer if you install the full driver and diagnostics supplied by the manufacturer rather than relying on standard Windows drivers.

BTW most problems with failed autonegotiation that I've come across are due to old versions of NIC drivers. There used to be a particular problem with old 3Com drivers and Cisco switches not autonegotiating properly a few years ago, but that seems to be a thing of the past.

Are having any particular problems that makes you think that it's not doing what it's supposed to do, or is it just curiosity?

Thanks for the reply, Alun. That's a good point about the NIC manufacturer, might check it out. It's mostly curiousity; am not having any problems, but it just popped into my head the other day and I thought it would be a handy thing to know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Folex wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, Alun. That's a good point about the NIC manufacturer, might check it out. It's mostly curiousity; am not having any problems, but it just popped into my head the other day and I thought it would be a handy thing to know about.

No problem ... Also, just had a thought, on some NICs there's an LED that indicates FDX/HDX, might be worth checking out too.

Advertisement