Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on playing slap bass?

• 03-11-2007 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I want to learn to play slap bass but its not as easy as it looks (and it looks pretty hard anyway). I found out how to play slap bass but am not very good. Any help/tips etc....???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I found out how to play slap bass but am not very good. Any help/tips etc....???

In that case then practice is the only way to improve. I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but if you know in theory how to do it you will eventually get good with practice. There are no short cuts (unfortunately !! ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

If you want to hear some class slap-bass, just buy a Seinfeld DVD. Every sketch is preceded by a quick dose of slap bass. Quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Chessplayer, thats actually a keyboard. But it can be played on bass too.

OP, a metronome is your friend when it comes to practicing slap bass. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Some good lessons (plenty of slap) to be found on Active Bass

Slow the speed down to what you can manage, and gradually build up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Have a look at this guy playing along to level 42's ' children say' (who's bass player mark king was .scuse the pun, the king of slap bass ).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dsYGa8cI4zg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

King of slaps? hmmmm.....Crown Prince, maybe. :)

These guys have been around for a while and pretty much laid the foundations for the style...

Marcus Miller
    Larry Graham
    Louis Johnson

Then there's the man whom Victor idolizes, Stanley Clarke.

The best is when you get 'em all on stage at the same time. :)
    Stanley, Marcus, and Vic

My own slapping is pretty rudimentary.....still can't fathom that whole "ghost note" thing. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The one thing I found to be key with slapping and such is muting and control of the strings. If you just watch that from the start, it all sounds and feels so much better and cleaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The best thing you can learn is when to use it. It's a great technique but woefully overused in the most inappropriate musical contexts at times in this country.

As mentioned above, Larry Graham is on youtube, you'll find all you need to know in his instructional video, he's the man when it comes to slap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Yeah, Larry's the "Granddaddy Of Them All", and a delight to watch. He's one of the few people around who can actually sing and slap at the same time.

• Advertisement

Joe Robot wrote: »
    Chessplayer, thats actually a keyboard. But it can be played on bass too.

OP, a metronome is your friend when it comes to practicing slap bass. :)

Are you sure? Sounds like a slap-bass to me. Is it just a keyboard with slap-bass effect? If that's the case, then I will be e-mailing Larry David and expressing my displeasure.

Lads, where can i get my hands on some cheesy slap-bass music? Anyone got any bands to recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭darragh666

Are you sure? Sounds like a slap-bass to me. Is it just a keyboard with slap-bass effect? If that's the case, then I will be e-mailing Larry David and expressing my displeasure.

Yep. sorry for shattering your illusion. It was a Roland Sound Canvas MIDI module. :)

Joe Robot wrote: »
    Yep. sorry for shattering your illusion. It was a Roland Sound Canvas MIDI module. :)

How did you know that? That's a very obscure thing to know. Did you work on Seinfeld?

:)

I actually play bass and know what one sounds like. I heard about what synth it was years ago.

Advertisement