Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build Moisture do I need Dehumidifier?

Options
  • 03-11-2007 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi,

The plastering on my new build finished about 4 weeks ago and lately I've seen Mold appearing on the window boards and on all my temporary door surrounds. Ive started opening the windows in the morning and closing in the evening. My house is full concrete construction with all internal walls also concrete.

Would it be advisable to get a dehumidifier? I won't have electricity or my heating for another 6 weeks so if I need the dehumidifier can these be worked off gas? How long would I need one for?

Have others seen this issue?

Thanks
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

i wouldn't bother with a dehumidifier, just leave the windows open to ensure good circulation, when absent from the site just leave the windows slightly open it'll be fine, the last few days were good for drying

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yep, ensure adequate ventilation! And dehumidifiers don't run off gas, if anything gas gives off moisture when burned!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

My brothers newbuild was steal framed, but once the plaster work up he left a dehumidifier running pretty much 24/7. Not cheap, or possibly the safest thing to do, but he also never had any problem with mold or moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Isn't there something about not taking the moisture out of the curing concrete too quickly as it weakens the structure? I'm not just talking about the initial 24 hours.

Advertisement