Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos in Sligo

• 03-11-2007 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭

Argos in Sligo...:mad::mad:
    A few people wer asking about Argos in Sligo.
    So I sent them an E-Mail and here is there reply:(:(:(

Date: 31 October 2007
    Subject: Hello

Dear Sir.
    I am writing to you to enquirer as to when or if you will
    ever come
    to Sligo town in the west of Ireland.
    A lot of people like myself would love to see one of your stores in our
    town.
    As at the moment we have to travel miles to the nearest store.
    I think your shop would be a great asset to our town and area for you and
    the people of Sligo.
    Please let me know when you are coming to my E-Mail.
    Thank you........ *********

Dear Mr ******,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Having looked into your query I am sorry to say we have no plans for a store in Sligo at present but as our sister company, Homebase has a store there it is something we will certainly consider in the future.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at order.enquiries@argos.co.uk or call us on 0870 600 2020.

Regards,

Leanne McMahon
    Argos Direct E-Commerce Customer Service Team.

All we can do is HOPE:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Can you blame them though?
    They were told to feck off and the powers that be could have accomodated them in Cleveragh or somewhere else.

Instead they tried to tell argos what they could and couldn't sell in Carraroe!
    They should/could have done more to get them here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think we should start up a petition, what do you reckon?:D

We want Argos
    We want Argos

(and Heatons, Easons, M&S, Gadget shop.....................)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

magnumlady wrote: »
    I think we should start up a petition, what do you reckon?
    Maybe lobby the local councillors.

That is one power the councillors do have - the adoption of a town or county plan. They are the people who say ya or nay at the end of the day despite what the planners may recommend.

What do you reckon lads, should we all email a councillor? I think its a good idea, as muffler says they might help.

What do you reckon lads, should we all email a councillor? I think its a good idea, as muffler says they might help.

Why not.
    Have to chose the right one though!

I did email Heatons before and they said they were:
    "Still looking for an appropriate site in sligo"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

There are plenty of brown field sites close to the centre of Sligo where Argos could buy and develop if they wanted to. Carraroe is too far out of town for them ....it is on a wet and windy hill at least 35 minutes walk from the town centre. Look at the argos in enniskillen, athlone, castlebar - they are all town centre sites. Besides, if Argos and every other shop was allowed to locate in green field sites in our beautiful countryside, it would have a negative impact on our town planning and environment.

vesp wrote: »
    There are plenty of brown field sites close to the centre of Sligo where Argos could buy and develop if they wanted to. Carraroe is too far out of town for them ....it is on a wet and windy hill at least 35 minutes walk from the town centre. Look at the argos in enniskillen, athlone, castlebar - they are all town centre sites. Besides, if Argos and every other shop was allowed to locate in green field sites in our beautiful countryside, it would have a negative impact on our town planning and environment.

They could move to Cleveragh (Beside Smiths).
    Grand spot for them!

Its not always wet and windy on that hill surely!:D

Argos wanted the Carraroe spot though and afaik the empty unit there was to be there one.
    I think its a great place for them to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

If you were to give to one then you would have to give to all. I agree with Vesp (Sorry magnumlady :( ) I wouldnt like to think that a precedent is set, for short term gain. Planning restrictions there for a reason. Cleveragh not ideal but better than nought. Surely theres some sort of spot in St. Annes near lidls or something.

I think if they had a proper shuttle bus from the town to the retail park in Carraroe then there would be no problem.
    It makes sense for it to be there for parking and other shops and aliviating traffic into the town because its on the outskirts.

• Advertisement

Little shuttle bus nice idea, but considering they arent able to have a regular one to the airport it would have to be a private venture. It would be nice to see an increase public transport timetable to the different estates to the town which might help the congestion. free parking etc. (schuttle buses/city imps)
    Still against Argos in Carraroe I am afraid even if they sponsered a bus.....
    Suppose, I have a vison of a Blanchardstown centre or Liffey valley concrete mass on the outskirts of Sligo if planning were relaxed. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

To me I see many many benefits of having Argos, M&S, new Tesco
    store and Aldi to name but a few in Sligo.:D:D:D
    There are all the Jobs, they bring directly and indirectly.:D
    The money they place in our local area through their wages.:D:D:D
    This has a large knock-on affect into the places where these workers
    Spend there money, e.g. Restaurants-Cinema-Shows-Pubs and
    Other Shops in town.:D:D:D
    All these Stores attract more people to our town with there money.:D:D

When you go to other stores in Enniskillen, Athlone or Castlebar
    you see lots of Sligo people in the queue.
    These towns have lots of FREE parking and good Roads around there towns.
    Besides, if Argos and every other shop was allowed to locate in green field sites in our beautiful countryside, it would have a negative impact on our town planning and environment.

We do not any shops to do this to our
    green field sites as we do it to our self’s
    When our planning authority and politicians have proven on all too many
    Occasions. Look at all the areas in our town (Estates) that have been destroyed.

I would say if you did a survey of all the members from this area
    That 9 out of every 10 have an Argos catalogue in there house.

Ps…can some one tell me where is the public toilet in Sligo!!!

easkey wrote: »

Now thats a whole other story!

There is none!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Gillie wrote: »
    Now thats a whole other story!

There is none!

we could do a whole seperate thread on that

getting back to argos, what about the empty unit at carraroe, surly that would be the ideal size for one of their argos extra stores

irish-stew wrote: »
    we could do a whole seperate thread on that

getting back to argos, what about the empty unit at carraroe, surly that would be the ideal size for one of their argos extra stores

Yes but the problem with Argos is that they sell certain items that are not allowed to be sold in Carraroe.
    That's the issue here!

To me I see many many benefits of having Argos, M&S, new Tesco
    store and Aldi to name but a few in Sligo.:D:D:D

So can I. So can the town planners. But in Sligo, not on a green field site 40 minutes ( walk ) from Sligo, on top of a wet and windy hill really only accessible by carbon-fuelled vehicles !

Look at the experience of what happened to the town centres of similar towns elsewhere in England , the US etc where they made the mistake of allowing out of town shopping centres miles from the town centre. Sligo should grow from the centre out.

So can I. So can the town planners. But in Sligo, not on a green field site 40 minutes ( walk ) from Sligo, on top of a wet and windy hill really only accessible by carbon-fuelled vehicles !

Whoa whoa whoa!!

We are talking about Pearse Road here are we not?

It's not exactly everest! There is a bus service to it which could be developed!

It's not 40 minutes! No way. I'm gonna do it this week and time it!
    If i'm wrong i'll apologise!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Whoa whoa whoa!!

We are talking about Pearse Road here are we not?

It's not exactly everest! There is a bus service to it which could be developed!

It's not 40 minutes! No way. I'm gonna do it this week and time it!
    If i'm wrong i'll apologise!

I believe he is on about the retail park.

It took me 15 minutes to walk it a few months ago.

I believe he is on about the retail park.

Yeah I know. Trying to figure out what hill he's on about

• Advertisement

I suppose the thing to think about is if you didnt have a car its not that accessible really. It takes X amount of time if you are fit. Imagine if you had a buggy, had arthritis, were in a wheelchair... trying to get up there without public transport?
    Anyway car ownership is seen as an indicator of wealth so you would be excluding a large section of people. Parts of Sligo is a Rapid area designated because of its higher levels of disadvantage :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The Retail Planning Guidelines issued by the DoE dictate that retail stores must be located within close proximity to a town centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It took me 15 minutes to walk it a few months ago.

15-20 minutes walk from the belfry

irish-stew wrote: »
    15-20 minutes walk from the belfry

to the petrol station top of pearse road / fork with mail coach road. then another 15 - 20 minutes out by the sligo park, round by the roundabout, up by pizza hut, and the long walk in the wind + rain to those warehouse type buildings on the far side of that large car park. As someone else said ....Imagine if you had a buggy, had arthritis, were in a wheelchair?

Imagine if you had a buggy, had arthritis, were in a wheelchair?

Then you'd be on a bus!

In fairness a lot of what you'd by in the stores up there you wouldn't be able to carry home anyway.

In most towns these stores are not exactly in the middle of town either.

Then you'd be on a bus!

In fairness a lot of what you'd by in the stores up there you wouldn't be able to carry home anyway.

In most towns these stores are not exactly in the middle of town either.

I am afraid Gillie thats a luxury that doesnt seem to exist. Unless I got it wrong, there are two buses on a week day up that direction. They then turf you off at the gaa grounds on Pearse road and you have to make your own way from there....(10 mins). Theres a good minibus service on Sat though.
    But, None of these are accessible ie theres not an automatic lowering platform that you can just roll on. There then woudlnt be space to roll your wheelchair, buggy in when you are on. Do you know what that would mean trying to get on?........Yes you have to take baby out or you have to be lifted out if you are in a wheelchair.
    Then try doing it with shopping...:eek:
    Now , I think thats the kind of field trip that everyone should do. Gillie, are you up for the challenge with the buggy?! No cheating now you have to do it on your own with no other adults ! It would be seriously cool if you did.:cool:

They are talking about extending the accessible transport in Sligo but it was supposed to be here already so its just not an option at the moment.

I would have thought it is more of a worry if they did relax the planning and there would more small retail shops you would isolate some of these groups even more. :(
    We also have also alot of negative lessons to learn from some of those towns who have done this before too. The traffic around Blanchardstown is a nightmare for example.

Fair points! I thought that the IMP went up there regularly.

As for the buggy "challenge" sure i'd be up for it.

If the buses are not wheelchair accessable then that is a much larger issue.

I wonder if Bus Eireann can shed some light of this and also the schedule to and from the retail park.

Having said all that the Retail park should NOT be in the centre of town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

[off topic] The library but its closed mondays. I wonder if you have a legal right to demand the use of the town halls facilities? [/off topic]

(on topic) eh, argos?

Fair points! I thought that the IMP went up there regularly.

As for the buggy "challenge" sure i'd be up for it.

If the buses are not wheelchair accessable then that is a much larger issue.

I wonder if Bus Eireann can shed some light of this and also the schedule to and from the retail park.

Having said all that the Retail park should NOT be in the centre of town!

I think that there is a regular (eg every 20 mins) service on a saturday that goes up to the place, then just two during the week, but I would hate to be mis informing folk, so pls pls double check if you get a chance just in case.You would know the local area.
    Anyway the only ones that are accessible are the Strandhill and Rosses point services. The others are pending.........................*pause for whistling in the wind*
    Re the "Challenge'. Fair play to Gillie. ;)
    Just be careful out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I think, in the interests of research, we would need evidence that Gillie did indeed take on the challenge.

P.S. Gillie pm me if you need a life sized doll for your buggy experiment! I used to do that trip and its a NIGHTMARE

Advertisement