Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can't Sell My 318 Bmw 01

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I disagree re the spec. Colour: not great but are worse. A lot of 318's out there do not have cruise, PDC and climate. And i don't see any '01 318 on carzone with that spec anywhere near 9500 inc VRT...

Oh BTW OP

Isn't it the SE spec? you don't mention in the title it is a SE...? Could make quite a difference

Your title is not great:

"BMW 318 2 YR NCT LOTS OF EXTRAS EX.CON"

"BMW 318i SE" Would be a LOT better. Hate the term "LOTS OF EXTRAS" and "Ex. CON" in titles. I want to know what the car is from the title, i tend to ignore the titles trying to make is stand out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sorry to be offtopic but what exactly does "first to see will buy" mean?

Does it mean the seller will not tolerate timewasters and if you arrive to view the car then you'd better buy or else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

xabi wrote: »
    Im in the same boat as yourself OP, finding it difficult to shift my 320, might have to wait until the new year and trade it in. In my case its probably the engine size thats putting people off. Anyone fancy a comment on my ad?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=801164

X.

The pictures are dreadful. Anyone looking to buy a 2.2 straight 6 wants to see decent pictures as it's a bit of an enthusiasts car given the petrol consumption.

Seats, dash..even back seats. The only side view pic you have is warped...not good.

Those alloys aren't great but you're unlikely to want to buy new ones at this stage.

Hmmmm....the price could be a little high given the mileage! I'd want to see it as a serious bargain myself with 90k on the clock...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That 318i looks like it was possibly a UK import. Rear electric windows, climate control, PDC and MFSW were all rare enough on Irish spec models at the time. If there is no service history mentioned with the car then it might put buyers off.

Generally there are alot of used cars coming in from the UK which are clocked with dodgy service histories especially the likes of BMWs and Audis so alot of buyers simply don't want to take the chance of being caught. BTW, I am not saying the OPs car has been clocked.

Remember also that alot of people now are going over to the UK and bringing home a used car themselves so your competing against that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

I sold a number of cars over the last few years and never had any success advertising on the web - tried Carzone and all I got was competition websites trying to get me to list the car on their sites!

Best place I have found for generating calls and interest was by advertising the car in the irish independent / herald (although Im sure for a BMW the Irish TImes might be better) :). Although as one of the other posters stated it may now be starting to get tricky to sell before the Christmas - most people aren't looking to buy this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

And i don't see any '01 318 on carzone with that spec anywhere near 9500 inc VRT...

Just because you don't see them there doesn't mean they're not out there, people will deal, the markets flooded with them, it really really is, I haven't imported one in 3 years because of this. The only cars that command a high price are well spec ed cars with low mileage, full service history and good colours. Well spec ed cars have M-tec bumpers etc., xenon headlights, leather seats and genuine stylish alloys, not just park sensors, a front centre armrest and a multi-function steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I didn't say its well spec'd but at the same time it is not "very basic spec". Very basic spec would be A/C, front electric windows and that's about it.

Main problem i would have personally would be the fact it's just pre facelift and the newer 2.0 engine. and i really don't like those wheels. (for about 1k more asking there is a decent looking '01 318 SE with facelift - Same wheels though :()

And i stand by €11750 being a fair asking (starting) price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

And i stand by €11750 being a fair asking (starting) price.
    That was a fair price a year and a half ago, things have changed, there are more 3 series BMW's around now than Ford Mondeos and this has to reflect on the prices, it's pretty obvious really, supply and demand and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I agree with many of the points made, especially this one:
    junkyard wrote: »
    tbh and as others have said the markets flooded. That car will sell for about 9500 euros max and if I was you I'd price it right to sell before Christmas or else it's a year older and worth far less again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

clevtrev wrote: »
    I sold a number of cars over the last few years and never had any success advertising on the web - tried Carzone and all I got was competition websites trying to get me to list the car on their sites!

Best place I have found for generating calls and interest was by advertising the car in the irish independent / herald (although Im sure for a BMW the Irish TImes might be better) :). Although as one of the other posters stated it may now be starting to get tricky to sell before the Christmas - most people aren't looking to buy this time of year.

I agree the newspapers have more people looking at them than the websites. I've had vastly better response from ads in the paper than on the web.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BostonB wrote: »
    I agree the newspapers have more people looking at them than the websites

Blast from the past! :D

I'm old. You must be freekin' ancient ;)

unkel wrote: »
    Blast from the past! :D

I'm old. You must be freekin' ancient ;)

Its simply a matter of statistics. Everyone can read a paper. Not everyone has access to the web. Fewer still have frequent access, and fewer still would think of searching for cars that way. Whereas you can pick up a paper and read it on the train home etc. People who use the web a lot, like boardies, tend to be people who use the web a lot. Most people aren't like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

I would say its a combination of things:

(1) Highish mileage (with no service history, has it had its timing belt done? major factor at that mileage!)
    (2) Time of year (christmas only round the corner, not many ppl trowing their money around)
    (3) Bigger engined cars are harder to sell with the cost of petrol/tax/imsurance.
    (4) CN reg doesn't do it any favours - is it a UK import?
    (5) Its priced cheap, well cheaper that its like, maybe it gives the impression that somethings wrong with it.

Though in saying that it is a nice motor and seems to be priced at quick sale price.

I would try the autotrader and the buy n sell, and maybe higher the price in line with simiar cars for sale and state that your open to offers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Bob_TG

Jus - as a matter of interest, have you approached a dealer for an offer?

I checked it out on the ROS.ie site. It suggests the market value should be in the region of 15.5k, and as you point out there are lots of cars above your price. It might be worth checking with a dealer to get their input - also, they will give you a 'rock bottom' price.

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

what_car wrote: »
    "very clean car" makes me think something is up...

My girlfriend was looking to buy an Avensis earlier this year from a dealer. The guy said he had one out in the yard and described it as a "very clean car" twice.

When we went outside, the thing was absolutely manky. Caked with mud, rubbish in the foot wells and on the back seat, grime on the dash and steering wheel. When I pointed out to him that it wasn't "very clean", he replied, "Well, it will be when we clean it up". We walked away.

While (from the pics at least) your car is obviously indeed "very clean", you don't want to sound alike a dodgy car dealer. It makes it sound like you're grasping at straws trying to think of something good to say about it, and can only come up with something superficial - any car can be washed and polished. "Immacuately cared for" might be better (assuming it's true).

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dubambman

Looks like the type of car im looking for, wouldnt mind taking a look sometime this week.

I might give you a shout later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

CarLover wrote: »
    The pictures are dreadful. Anyone looking to buy a 2.2 straight 6 wants to see decent pictures as it's a bit of an enthusiasts car given the petrol consumption.

Seats, dash..even back seats. The only side view pic you have is warped...not good.

Those alloys aren't great but you're unlikely to want to buy new ones at this stage.

Hmmmm....the price could be a little high given the mileage! I'd want to see it as a serious bargain myself with 90k on the clock...

What would you suggest picture wise? More close ups? What angles are best? Any tips?

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

CarLover wrote: »

I had a 318 before the 320 and havent noticed much difference in petrol consumption. The 318 was reporting 32mpg on the OBC which i verified by doing a brim to brim on the tank. The 320 reports 30 - 31 mpg which has also been verified.

X.

phutyle wrote: »
    My girlfriend was looking to buy an Avensis earlier this year from a dealer. The guy said he had one out in the yard and described it as a "very clean car" twice.

When we went outside, the thing was absolutely manky. Caked with mud, rubbish in the foot wells and on the back seat, grime on the dash and steering wheel. When I pointed out to him that it wasn't "very clean", he replied, "Well, it will be when we clean it up". We walked away.

While (from the pics at least) your car is obviously indeed "very clean", you don't want to sound alike a dodgy car dealer. It makes it sound like you're grasping at straws trying to think of something good to say about it, and can only come up with something superficial - any car can be washed and polished. "Immacuately cared for" might be better (assuming it's true).

A description of "clean car" has nothing to do with being dirty.

It means the car has not been abused and nothing damaged, all the panels are undamaged, no scratches, tears, everything works and nothing missing off the car. That the car is in good condition, and has been maintained well.

A car can be filthy and still be a clean car. Though you won't be able to tell until its been cleaned and you can do a proper inspection.

xabi wrote: »
    What would you suggest picture wise? More close ups? What angles are best? Any tips?

X.

Copy the angles in other photos. Generally you want to see the outside all four sides, the interior front and back showing as much as possible, and the boot and engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddy316i

What has a CN reg got to do with it? Don't tell me your one of these Dublin people who only buy a D reg (i've never understood the reason for that)

I would say its a combination of things:

(1) Highish mileage (with no service history, has it had its timing belt done? major factor at that mileage!)
    (2) Time of year (christmas only round the corner, not many ppl trowing their money around)
    (3) Bigger engined cars are harder to sell with the cost of petrol/tax/imsurance.
    (4) CN reg doesn't do it any favours - is it a UK import?
    (5) Its priced cheap, well cheaper that its like, maybe it gives the impression that somethings wrong with it.

Though in saying that it is a nice motor and seems to be priced at quick sale price.

I would try the autotrader and the buy n sell, and maybe higher the price in line with simiar cars for sale and state that your open to offers??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Where are the boards gathering cards when you need them! Talk about draggin up a dead thread

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

kayos wrote: »
    Talk about draggin up a dead thread

Indeedy :eek: ...closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement