Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer work

• 03-11-2007 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hey guys,
    I'm a third year civil engineering student. Next summer I'd love to work in an engineering firm for a few months to get some experience before fourth year. My preference would be structural engineering. Can anyone think of places I could apply for a job?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Try the yellow pages and just apply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Have a talk with the head of your department soon and see if he/she will be able to help. Usually they have contacts with many companies and will be able to give you a contact to send your email to

Many companies also advertise in the colleges for summer placements and they can be good. Thats were I got my placement last summer.

Check out companies who are in the area you are looking for and check out their job vacancies as they may be advertising, but may be bit early for them to be advertising for next summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Yeah definitely try and get the college to help. If at all possible try and talk to people who have done work experience in the place and see what it was like. You really don't want to get stuck twiddling your thumbs for 3 months believe me. From what I've observed, smaller companies will give you a better experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

agree, smaller companies give better experience but bigger companies generally pay better. All depends what you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Where are you based?

• Advertisement

http://www.iaeste.ie/ great opportunity to get relevant work expierence and travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Alsatian_Cousin

Where are you based?

Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Moonbaby wrote: »
    http://www.iaeste.ie/ great opportunity to get relevant work expierence and travel.

Don't you have to pay to do that?!

There is a fee of 90 euro to apply and another 100 if you get a place.
    You are paid a wage to cover the cost of living.
    Iaesta will organise accomidation and someone to pick you up on arrival to make sure you find your way.
    This person will also help you set up bank accounts, tax numbers etc. and bring to your workplace and introduce you.
    Iaesta will also organise social events/trips with the other students who are on the programme.

Advertisement