Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting Forum

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

You must feel so much lighter now that thats off your chest, been coming for a while now between this thread and PM's to mods. :D;)

Its as simple as this, Sparks is away, Rovi and Jaycee have just started so we agreed (before this thead) that they should find their feet before we put forward any changes. So relax be patient and it will all get done. The ideas are great We will som them up in to what seems the best route and see where we go from there.

As for the other threads feel free to launch the coup d'état against our evil tyranny at your leisure. :rolleyes:

Rew wrote: »
    You must feel so much lighter now that thats off your chest, been coming for a while now between this thread and PM's to mods. :D;)

Its as simple as this, Sparks is away, Rovi and Jaycee have just started so we agreed (before this thead) that they should find their feet before we put forward any changes. So relax be patient and it will all get done. The ideas are great We will som them up in to what seems the best route and see where we go from there.

As for the other threads feel free to launch the coup d'état against our evil tyranny at your leisure. :rolleyes:

Sorry about that - was a bit over the top, bit of college stress coming through!

And Sfinn - bang on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I concur, but I've noticed that people who come here to ask hunting questions (such as the "Snare" thread) often get told that it's not shooting related (very inconsistently mind you), I'd like to see a hunting section in here.
    I know there is alot of target shooters here but for a lot of people the conotation with shooting is hunting and in fairness there is a lot of people here who would like a hunting section too, even the threads about electronic callers and things aren't really relevant in the shooting forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sfinn

i would have to agree with the Honourable Gentleman,

Suggestion could we split into shotgun, rifle, general etc.:)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

TBH, if it's a subforum under "Shooting" I'd like to see it include guns.

I have absolutely no problem with hunting-related stuff here provided it's shooting-related. For example, (IMHO) stuff about hunting with ferrets is fine provided the ferrets were carrying shotguns. :D

There probably should be a dedicated "Hunting" forum though (probably free-standing and not a subforum of "Shooting"), to account for hunting in general. There certainly seems to be a demand for it. Currently this forum is the closest match for a lot of hunting, but it doesn't mean it's the right place for all of it.

Damn you conor, was just going to post that!

Perhaps start a request for a hunting forum?

That may be a good idea for the hunters, we have always entertained them here hence the thread on snares has been left. We cannt spit it all off in to a million and one sub forums the admins wont do it. We could probaly get 2 or 3 sub forums so we have to choose carefully what we ask for.I personally think that a gear/review/education sub forum would be good. A place to put all the really informative threads and to encourage gear and gun reviews. After that it we could go down the lines of hunting and target sub forums but then we have to think what posts would go inthe main forum?

How about simply:

..............................Shooting
    ......Target Shooting...............'Hunting' / Game Shooting

Each subforum will have different types of people using different types of gear so any queries that come up can be dealt with in the subforum.

I for one don't really care about equipment reviews of CZ fullbores, while I am sure that people like rabbit stew have no interest in me asking for review of a FWB p700 or a Steyr 110.

The general forum would then be there for education type posts, and any general material which is not focused on either target or game shooting.

This is really simple and should keep everyone happy

i'm game. Lets try it and see what happens. Interesting to see what the heavy hitter have to say. Personally I've no interest in rifles at the :cool:moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Maybe we could have a "whinging" subforum where people could give out about specific makes and models - generally give out about the state of shooting in Ireland and have a go at the mods.

The Mods could ignore it - the trolls could go there to feed

Anything deemed to be just a whinge could be moved there and left to it's own devices.

I for one thing that the para ordanance are s**te, blazzer made some seriously cr*p 9mm a while back with a crimp in a lot of the brass, shooting in Ireland is in a sorry state and the Mods are all getting coal for christmas

:D

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

so whats the story is this going in ahead? in fairness to the airsoft crew they have done a good job on there forum i went over for a look.

ps - they got fairly slated by joe duffy the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

stevoman wrote: »
    ps - they got fairly slated by joe duffy the other day.

Ah yes, Joe Scruffy. The man who says he's only there to facilitate people to air their views and his opinion isn't important on the programme (how many times have I heard him say that :rolleyes:)

Sure, that's good and well until something comes along he personally dislikes and pretty much tells the pro shooting people (who were calm and made their points while letting others speak) to shut up at one stage :rolleyes:

Licence fee my eye.

Joe Duffy is the Irish answer to Jerry Springer simple as that. He appeals to the lowest common denominator.

"Joe Duffy is the Irish answer to Jerry Springer simple as that. He appeals to the lowest common denominator."

That low!!! Define lowest common denominator?? Only some upstart yuppie would make a derogatory comment like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Joe Duffy is the Irish answer to Jerry Springer simple as that. He appeals to the lowest common denominator.

Joe Duffy isn't intelligent enough to be compared with Jerry Springer. At least Springer knows what he is doing ;)

Sfinn wrote: »
    "Joe Duffy is the Irish answer to Jerry Springer simple as that. He appeals to the lowest common denominator."

That low!!! Define lowest common denominator?? Only some upstart yuppie would make a derogatory comment like that.

Am I offending you as a Joe Duffy fan or Joe Duffy?

I mean it like this. Joe jumps on band waggons and makes big issues out of them, no doubt a skill he learned in his days as a student union politician. The lowest common denominator is the ignorance that exists in everyone of various issues and the various fears that surround that ignorance. Instead of genuinely trying to investigate aand educate he feeds and builds on fears and ignorance.

Am I offending you as a Joe Duffy fan or Joe Duffy?

I mean it like this. Joe jumps on band waggons and makes big issues out of them, no doubt a skill he learned in his days as a student union politician. The lowest common denominator is the ignorance that exists in everyone of various issues and the various fears that surround that ignorance. Instead of genuinely trying to investigate aand educate he feeds and builds on fears and ignorance.

Joe Duffy and the common denominators! and no i'm not a Joe Duffy fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i have to say the airsoft lads did themselves well and kept it calm and collected even when"the joemeister" was backing them into a corner.

i think the big issue was the sales of the airsoft replica's at the toys for big boys exhibition, which in fairness was'nt exactly the greatest promotion for their sport. The organiser did say that their would be no more sales of such items in coming years.

the airsoft assosiation put on a show outside and kicked it all off with a mock kidnapping that started inside the RDS and made its way outside, with the idea of getting the public to follow them outside.

He did go hard on them in my opinion, but at the same time its very hard to tell the differnce between a real gun and these replica's and this very problom did lead to a youth's death in england a few years back when a teenager who brandished one at a police response unit got himself shot and killed for pointing it at them. This led to a law being implemented that you can own and purchase a replica airsoft gun in the UK, but you have to be a member of an airsoft assosiation to do so, as far as im aware, but i stand to be corrected if im wrong.

In fairness that would'nt be a bad idea for here in Ireland either, it keeps the lads in the clubs who are serious about there sport happy and stops the idiots who want to run around pretending to be John Matrix, and in the same time taking some of the heat off the shooting community has a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭alan_simon

+1 to the OP's idea. And don't get me started on Scruffy. u were spot on about the lower common denomonator (the LCD in this case being the average irish punter, who doesnt know about firearms and believes everything they hear. And trust me, there's bloody millions of 'em)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

stevoman wrote: »
    i have to say the airsoft lads did themselves well and kept it calm and collected even when"the joemeister" was backing them into a corner.

Cheers for that Stevo, and by all accounts we did even better on Spin 103.8 today.

Now in a bid to stay on topic I'll add my support to the OPs idea.

Well?

Its almost been a month now.. the new mods are in and settled, Sparks is back, the admins layed out the method in the mod forum..

Has there been any progression with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Are you target boys trying to distance yourselfs from us evil creature killing hillbillies????:D:D:D

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Are you target boys trying to distance yourselfs from us evil creature killing hillbillies????:D:D:D

Nope, just the creature killing that doesn't involve firearms in my case. Hunting stuff gets thrown in here just cos it's the closest match. As I said before, if the dogs/ferrets are carrying firearms then I have no bother seeing threads about them here. :D

Besides, zaraba has his own nice bunny-plinking CZ so you can hardly point fingers at him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Sounds reasonable.:)

I just would not like to see our forum becoming so fractured that never the twain would meet. I much perfer to see the many varied opinions on any of the topics no matter what the bias.

Hunting would be my main interest but i try to hit Midlands at least once or twice a month to plick, check my zeros and talk cordite.

Hezz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

IRLConor wrote: »
    Besides, zaraba has his own nice bunny-plinking CZ so you can hardly point fingers at him. :)

As do I, but it's old enough not to be a CZ :eek:

Still good though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Okay, two new forums created. Give us a day or so to tidy stuff up and we'll have the grand opening. One of the new rules, however, is that the administrative and "political" stuff should stay out here in the general forum, not go into the Target or Hunting subforums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

cool..good job guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

after all, shooting is one of the more popular fourms.
    would be great to catagarise things a bit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sparks wrote: »
    Okay, two new forums created. Give us a day or so to tidy stuff up and we'll have the grand opening. One of the new rules, however, is that the administrative and "political" stuff should stay out here in the general forum, not go into the Target or Hunting subforums.

Sounds like a good idea that, no one misses anything important.

Advertisement